Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #226
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Actually using about two steps larger font than I want slightly helps touch. The normal font I use is larger than I use on a Kindle PW3 or Sony PRS350 already as I might use Kobo for 10 hours at a time and PRS350 maybe 1/2 hour while out. Its 5" screen is superior to the 6" on my mobile due to better aspect ratio and lack of nasty LED lighting. I only use front light on Kobo or PW3 if out somewhere with very dim lighting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #227
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Hello,

I've two bugs since I've upgraded to this firmware :

1. The option to slide to change brightness enable itself automatically. I*disable it because, often, in the dark, I change the brightness to 0 which is really annoying. Then, after a few day, it comes back.

2. I*can't connect to wifi anymore. The wifi which have a password stored are marked with 0*strenght (wifi icon is greyed out). If I*remove them, I immediately have the strenght back but still have an error when trying to connect.

I*also believe there's a bug in marking the strenght of wifi. My wifi, which is 2 meters away, appears very weak. Other wifi from the neighbourhood are marked as very powerful while my phone don't detect them or consider them as very weak.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #228
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
2. I*can't connect to wifi anymore. The wifi which have a password stored are marked with 0*strenght (wifi icon is greyed out). If I*remove them, I immediately have the strenght back but still have an error when trying to connect.
I'm not having any real issues connecting to any of my known WiFi networks. I have had to try again a few times. It seems to affect my work network more than my home or when using my phone as a hotspot. The work network is fairly crowded, so it might be related to that.

But, there is bug that sort of sounds like what you describe and might be confusing things. I am getting one of the saved networks that is not currently available displayed in the available networks list. At the moment, I am at work, connected to the work network, and I can see the phone's hotspot displayed. But, the hotspot is turned off. And the work network shows when I am at home. When I first noticed this, I was having other issues with the network, and this confused things about what was going on.

I have reported this to Kobo, and expect it to be fixed in the next release.
Quote:
I*also believe there's a bug in marking the strenght of wifi. My wifi, which is 2 meters away, appears very weak. Other wifi from the neighbourhood are marked as very powerful while my phone don't detect them or consider them as very weak.
I think this was supposed to be fixed in 4.12.12111. There is at least one report that it was working in the thread, and I'm sure Kobo mentioned it in the beta list (but I can't find the mention). From what I have seen, it seems to be more accurate, but, I suspect there are still some issues.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-20-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #229
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Slow firmware?

I tried the 4.12.12111 and looks very slows with same kepubs. With others works well. The 4.6.9995 worked fluentlly and well with every kepub.

My question: is it a problem of conversion and ebooks?
Have you done the same experience?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #230
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
PS: having professional experience in the UX field, I*can say that Kobo UX range from utterly horrible to bad. They really lack some good UX*designers. The only reason while I'm sticking with Kobo is that all the other ereaders I've tested are at least as bad. It seems that no good UX*designer want to work with eink devices.
I think Android is poor. I think Win10 must rate as worst MS GUI since Windows 2.x
Win10 is the worst GUI I've seen EVER. And I did play with a Xerox workstation in 1970s.
Curiously if 10 is binary, that's 2.

Really it's not hard. I've done better GUIs than Kindle & Kobo on Mono 1bit (no grey) LCD panels.
I think Marketing has too much input.
Stupid laser print style Flat Web design has a lot to answer for.

Even things like dead space between letters on the touch keyboard on Kobo is wrong. I do think the Kindle GUI and SW generally is better now than KOBO, though really poor. Better GUIs & Features on Win3.x and DOS GUI styled library and document management systems over 20 years ago.
Collections/Shelves etc poor. Why does no-one do the three levels used on Amazon, Smashwords and paper book categories?
Why is it so painful to organise books. Do they test this stuff with only a couple of dozen books? Even a basic internal storage eReader can have a few thousand books.

Anyway. This firmware is really slow for text selection to add notes. I'm tempted to build my own eInk add on for a Raspbery PI it's so bad. The Kindle is quick to highlight & add notes, but the lack of detail compared to Koboo makes the Kindle annotation export useless.

Also why hard code in Facebook on everything? They are currently illegally using data in EU. Why not ANY link in account settings with user title? Why also no email out (a weblink could do that). Why hard code Google (currently fined and still breaking law) or Wikipedia?
DRM and copyright is no excuse as there is fair use and content might be public domain or have permission etc.

These devices can cost twice price of a phone or tablet. We buy them. We should have control over what they do. Not a committee or marketing person in Amazon or Kobo. The changes needed to make these more user friendly, less buggy, more user control in account & device & reader settings is very little work.

Despite what some say, neither Amazon nor Kobo much listen, nor admit deliberate shortcomings.

If I was only reading, I'd only use the Amazon Kindle PW3, or maybe the Sony PRS350 when out of the house.
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #231
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@FrustratedReader: Thank you. That is the best laugh I've had in ages.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #232
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8740191.html
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...50m_cnil_gdpr/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...t_gdpr_rights/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...ostly_unaware/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_by_Amazon
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...petition_data/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...book_disaster/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...ing_companies/

Three issues with many gadgets:
1) Breaking EU laws. Actually Google, Facebook, ICANN etc breaking EU law for about 12 years BEFORE GDPR came in

2) Usability, user control and GUI is actually going backwards.

3) Poor design and testing. Not just SW or GUI but hardware ergonomics too. Cost reduction and appearance trumping functionality.

There is more concentration on static appearance, acquiring user behaviour and advertising than delivering what users think they are buying.

This current firmware is symptomatic of the industry. It rates a 3 out of 10.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #233
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@FrustratedReader: If you want to discuss those sort of things, please start a separate thread. This thread, and similar, are about changes in, and issues with specific firmware version. The discussion about how Kobo does syncing went off topic. But, your last couple of posts do not belong here.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #234
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This thread, and similar, are about changes in, and issues with specific firmware version. The discussion about how Kobo does syncing went off topic.
I'll back this up and say it's time to start a new thread for discussion of syncing so this thread can get back on topic.

I can split out the posts on syncing if people would like.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #235
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
[COLOR="Green"]
I can split out the posts on syncing if people would like.
Yes please.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #236
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
New thread for civil discussion of syncing issues!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #237
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
With this update I noticed that highlights were harder to make without errors and moving the cursor was less fluid than the previous firmware. Also after making a highlight, try drag one of the markers was impossible and I often had to start over and make sure I hit the spots just right.

Anyone else experience this or should I go through with an exchange for the device?

Kobo Clara HD

Last edited by please55; 01-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #238
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
With this update I noticed that highlights were harder to make without errors and moving the cursor was less fluid than the previous firmware. Also after making a highlight, try drag one of the markers was impossible and I often had to start over and make sure I hit the spots just right.
The latter yes. There has been a bit of discussion about this. You need tap and try and move the handle and release it. The next time you try it works as it did before (I nearly said "properly", but adjusting the highlights has always been terrible).

But, the initial highlighting was improved two or three firmware versions ago and I don't think it has gotten worse with this one.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #239
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Note that all the main affiliates are now finally on the latest version for all devices (rakutenbooks used to stuck on 4.8 and also the only one with 3.19.5761 for the Mini).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #240
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
My post was probably moved to the other thread because it was about syncing, but I was actually reporting a problem: I can't do a full sync with this firmware. The syncing for Pocket articles only works fine as usual, but when I try to trigger a sync manually it hangs on the 'searching for updates' message and I have to turn the reader off to make it stop (the 'Canceling sync' button doesn't work). I tried to connect an old Kobo Glo (previous firmware version) to the same WiFi network and it synced with no delays.
I usually sideload, so I didn't notice this until the past week, when I bought an ebook from Kobo and couldn't download it. I've had to connect my Glo HD to my laptop and use Kobo Desktop.
Anyone else having the same experience?
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote