Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
q12x
q12x began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura N514
Unhappy Koreader USB connect to PC ?

Hello, I just buy a new Kobo Aura Model N514. It is a new technology for me and i just started to understand it.
I successfully installed kbStartMenu and Koreader on it.
But I have formidable bugs !!!
---
The most important bug i wish to solve is to be able to connect to my PC through USB cable directly from Koreader ! At this point, I must Restart and log into default Kobo Chrome reader and from there it works fine.
---
If this option exists in Koreader, I dont see it anywhere and no pop up is visible anywhere. Are there some very custom settings i dont know about?
Thank you.
q12x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The Kobo Start Menu (KSM) includes a USB enable function that lets you "connect" to your PC, using a USB cable. KOReader has a number of ways to connect wirelessly. I think the easiest is using the caliber Content Server and KOReader's OPDS catalog support.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
q12x

wait...
(i can't delete this comment)

Last edited by q12x; 03-14-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
q12x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The Kobo Start Menu (KSM) includes a USB enable function that lets you "connect" to your PC, using a USB cable. KOReader has a number of ways to connect wirelessly. I think the easiest is using the caliber Content Server and KOReader's OPDS catalog support.

Luck;
Ken
Thank you for the answer;

I find the 2 options you speak about inside KOReader Main Menu !
In #2 tab i find "calibre wireless connection".
In #3 tab i find "OPDS catalog".

But you mention about them as being "wirelessly". And I also play with them for a bit and I can see they are for wireless. Hmmm, I want to connect to my computer through USB to add/remove files in my ereader. I actually shut down my wireless setting.
So... how do I enable USB transfer to PC inside KOReader?

Last edited by q12x; 03-14-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't (for now), but you can use the KSM program to make USB transfers.
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
q12x

Quote:
You don't (for now), but you can use the KSM program to make USB transfers.
I already switch to Kobo Start Menu (KSM) to do it !!!
But i have another serious bug when i give the restart command from Koreader, not every time (the start menu i installed) will open. I have to restart The Device 3-5 times until that start menu will appear(to have the option for Koreader). I figure it out the hard way. So, you see how this is quickly becoming pretty annoying. I received this Kobo ereader tablet yesterday - 2 days of using and i got a ton of problems. I hope i can resolve them. This is the reason i came very quickly to this forum.
There is no other way to connect through USB only? (from Koreader)
1 - Like using some weird command in "developer options" that i see here in the main menu.
2- or in "advanced settings" - I look already here and i dont see anything close to this problem.
3- or a plug in?
4-addon?
5-some Custom script file?
6- Some code or piece of code that i can insert somewhere in a smart file from device?

Last edited by q12x; 03-14-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Is the latest version of ksm installed (aka ksm9) ; does the "preventfreeze" option in ksm set to true ? did you set ksm to always show itself when booting ?

As for USB within koreader, there is an open discussion about this on github

Last edited by cramoisi; 03-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

If you just "long-press" on the "Exit" option in the hamburger icon/tab, you should exit to your launcher KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
q12x

Quote:
If you just "long-press" on the "Exit" option in the hamburger icon/tab, you should exit to your launcher KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Very helpful tip ! Thank you mister Ken !
maybe is a good idea to put a more obvious option to exit to the start menu - "exit to StartMenu" . I sincerely struggle a lot to figure out how to exit into that thing. Sometimes - but is a matter of luck or a bug, when i am in an image.jpg and make some unknown finger movements there, it jumps to the startmenu - but its 0.35 times from 10.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
q12x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
Is the latest version of ksm installed (aka ksm9) ; does the "preventfreeze" option in ksm set to true ? did you set ksm to always show itself when booting ?

As for USB within koreader, there is an open discussion about this on github
for kobo startmenu (ksm)
I dont know from where i got it anymore but i opened its instalation kit (6.9Mb) and find there "updatehistory.txt" that says: "+KSM08".
From your comment i see you mention ksm9. I will look into that.

for koreader:
I get this version : koreader-nightly-20180212 from here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases
and this one i choose from the list:
koreader-kobo-arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-1523-g78284e1.zip 23.1 MB

I am not sure where should i look for these options you mention, but i did find something:
I connected to KOBO with usb, and open this file:
H:\.adds\kbmenu_user\confoptions\ksm_ini_options.t xt
i have 2 options for ksmAutoselectoption - i made [start_koreader] first
ksmAutoselectoption=start_koreader
ksmAutoselectoption=start_nickel (this was first originally)

H:\.adds\kbmenu_user\runsettings.txt
(original: runmenu=alternateMenu) i changed in runmenu=always

Navigate Start Menu when in KOBO and goto:
Configure- general - ksmAutoselectoption (choose) start_koreader

-----
something i must made right
I tested it a couple of times and it looks is booting in the right order now - first ksm and second (after 20s if untouched) koreader.
Thank you for suggestion mister cramoisi !

Last edited by q12x; 03-15-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
q12x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
From what I conclude from that thread, is that USB connection is probably too hard to implement in koreader.
---
- I have another question then - is there a list of readers ? I would like a list of readers very much, please. And who have the capability of usb connection? They all have the same usb issue as koreader? I am asking since i have no clue about anything. So don't get mad on me because asking. I'm just a rookie. So far you've been very helpful and i thank you all.
---

Last edited by q12x; 03-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I would expect that all of the ereading devices include an ability to connect using a USB cable, but I am unaware of any that include that as a function of their reading software. In any listing of "ereaders" a reference to USB would for a function of the device, not the reading program(s) used by that device.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12x View Post
- I have another question then - is there a list of readers ? I would like a list of readers very much, please. And who have the capability of usb connection?
A reader with the capility of usb connection is plato.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote