Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
pacman
pacman began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Touch
Collections

I've recently purchased the forma and uploaded all my epubs. I see I can add them into collections manually, is there a quicker way to do this. I was hoping that I could do via the root folder but nothing shows? I haven't really used Calibre much but the tags look ideal. I've read a few tuts on bookshelves but I'm not clear if thats the same thing I'm trying to achieve?
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes.. shelves == collections
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This may be helpful...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
pacman

Jobs a good un', thanks.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
The Calibre KoboTouchExtended plug-in is what you want. Select customize and the Collections tab in the plug-in. Then select the Calibre column (like Tags) that you want to define as the collections on the Kobo, sync with your device and ... presto ... your library will be automatically sorted into collections.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
The Calibre KoboTouchExtended plug-in is what you want. Select customize and the Collections tab in the plug-in. Then select the Calibre column (like Tags) that you want to define as the collections on the Kobo, sync with your device and ... presto ... your library will be automatically sorted into collections.
There is a link posted above to instructions on how to configure collection management from calibre. This is the same whether you use the built-in KoboTouch drive or add the KoboTouchExtended driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
sekazi
Enthusiast
sekazi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is a link posted above to instructions on how to configure collection management from calibre. This is the same whether you use the built-in KoboTouch drive or add the KoboTouchExtended driver.
This is the link I used when setting up mine.

I had collections named the same already on my Kobo and had to delete them first in order for it to sync properly.
sekazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
This is the link I used when setting up mine.
Which is the same link as above.
Quote:
I had collections named the same already on my Kobo and had to delete them first in order for it to sync properly.
You shouldn't need to. The driver doesn't care whether it created the collection or it was done on the device.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
sekazi
Enthusiast

Quote:
You shouldn't need to. The driver doesn't care whether it created the collection or it was done on the device.
The collections refused to update for me. I had initially created them on the Kobo. Calibre downloaded the collection list just fine and applied the name to the custom column. When I added a few new books they would not sync to the collection I assigned them to in the custom column. Only once I deleted the collections on the Kobo did they recreate and all of the books assign to the ones I chose. Now if I add new books they sync to the collections.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
The collections refused to update for me. I had initially created them on the Kobo. Calibre downloaded the collection list just fine and applied the name to the custom column. When I added a few new books they would not sync to the collection I assigned them to in the custom column. Only once I deleted the collections on the Kobo did they recreate and all of the books assign to the ones I chose. Now if I add new books they sync to the collections.
Strange. There might be an issue with the case of the collection name. Last time I checked, the device was case sensitive and you could create "collection" and "COLLECTION". The collection management through the driver doesn't tend to be, but I can't remember exactly how it handles this.

In any case, I'll have to do some testing. I'm not sure when the last time I created a collection on the device was. If you see it happen again, could you run calibre in debug mode and post the log for me. That usually give me enough of a clue about what is happening.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
sekazi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Strange. There might be an issue with the case of the collection name. Last time I checked, the device was case sensitive and you could create "collection" and "COLLECTION". The collection management through the driver doesn't tend to be, but I can't remember exactly how it handles this.

In any case, I'll have to do some testing. I'm not sure when the last time I created a collection on the device was. If you see it happen again, could you run calibre in debug mode and post the log for me. That usually give me enough of a clue about what is happening.
I tried replicating the issue but was unable to do so. Maybe in the process I ended up doing something that I was suppose to do originally and did not. I doubt it would have anything to do with a brand new device.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
pacman

Am I to understand that Calibre can add collections based on the tags that are automatically created? I created myshelves then sorted them manually using bulk edit.

Also is there a way to truncate tags i.e:

1507-1536, Anne Boleyn;, Autobiography, Biography, Biography & Autobiography, Biography And Autobiography, England, Europe, General, Great Britain, Great Britain - History, Henry VIII; 1509-1547, Historical, Historical - British, History, Queen; consort of Henry VIII; King of England;, Queens, Royalty

Last edited by pacman; 03-23-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Am I to understand that Calibre can add collections based on the tags that are automatically created? I created myshelves then sorted them manually using bulk edit.

Also is there a way to truncate tags i.e:

1507-1536, Anne Boleyn;, Autobiography, Biography, Biography & Autobiography, Biography And Autobiography, England, Europe, General, Great Britain, Great Britain - History, Henry VIII; 1509-1547, Historical, Historical - British, History, Queen; consort of Henry VIII; King of England;, Queens, Royalty
There is a link above to instructions on how to configure the collections, so the answer to the first question is yes.

For the second, you can create a custom column that generates the collections names you want from the tags. Then use this as one of the collection columns in the driver configuration.