Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Google Play on 8th Generation 8" Tablet

Just received the new 8" HD Fire tablet. 8th generation! I can find no videos, instructions or files for installing Google Play on this new generation from Amazon. I'm afraid to try the 7th generation files.

Any help appreciated. I would like to use Moonreader and a few other apps only available from the Play Store.
Thanks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
You are not trying
just expecting others to spoon-feed you.
A Google search will immediately find the necessary instructions whcih exist on multiple sites.
Simply search for something !Ike install Google play store on fire tablet and follow the instructions, which work for any recent fire tablet.
You will not damage anything if you install any wrong versions. Just uninstall and start over
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
You are not trying
just expecting others to spoon-feed you.

A Google search will immediately find the necessary instructions whcih exist on multiple sites.
Simply search for something !Ike install Google play store on fire tablet and follow the instructions, which work for any recent fire tablet.
You will not damage anything if you install any wrong versions. Just uninstall and start over
That comment was certainly unnecessary.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so was the question
i was making the point that if you want to "HACK" your amazon device/ use it for non approved things, you need enough self confidence to search for knowledge and to experiment. otherwise go buy Android or stick to amazon only apps
AFAIK there is no reason why instructions written for a different generation of fire tablet should not still work, all you are doing is adding 4 apps , in sequence, with intermediate reboots. Everything is reversible, and at absolute worst a factory reset is a final saving option
if it were NOT possible to add google services to the newest fire tablet, there would be much shock, horror news coverage and I have not seen any
like i said before, You will not damage anything if you install any wrong versions. Just uninstall and start over

so LMGTFY is having a day off - go search
if you want to handhold him and post a for dummies guide, be my guest
if not, then your comment was eqully unnecessary
Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello, Stumped,
I did search, as I said in my initial post. I found no posts or videos that specifically mentioned the 8th generation Fire, as I also said in my initial post. I appreciate your remark that I can use the instructions for the 7th generation and not damage anything. I apologize that I am not as smart as you are.
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Gen 8 was only released last month. The main difference is in hands free Alexa support.
It is unlikely that previous methods for adding Google services will not work,, but it would have been smarter to research that before placing the order ?
Try it immediately while you still have the option to reset and return it
Old 11-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

PS it took me 3 minutes to find this. It is an October 2018 article so almost certainly refers to the latest model.
https://www.xda-developers.com/amazo...le-play-store/
Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

From that article,
XDA Junior Member lxmeta was able to get the Play Store on his brand new Fire HD 8, which is based on Android Nougat. All they did was install four things: Google Services Framework, Google Account Manager, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store. So far it’s working and can be used to install apps. So if you don’t want to be limited to Amazon’s App Store, download and install the APKs below.

Google Services Framework 7.1.2
Google Account Manager 7.1.2
Google Play services 14.3.66 64bit nodpi
Google Play Store 11.9.14
Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
From that article,
XDA Junior Member lxmeta was able to get the Play Store on his brand new Fire HD 8, which is based on Android Nougat. All they did was install four things: Google Services Framework, Google Account Manager, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store. So far it’s working and can be used to install apps. So if you don’t want to be limited to Amazon’s App Store, download and install the APKs below.

Google Services Framework 7.1.2
Google Account Manager 7.1.2
Google Play services 14.3.66 64bit nodpi
Google Play Store 11.9.14
Thank you for your help.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Any help appreciated. I would like to use Moonreader and a few other apps only available from the Play Store.
Thanks.
I use Moonreader too. It may prompt you to get dictionaries when you first try to look up a word, and then dump you into the Amazon eco system. And from there of course you can't do anything. I ended up solving the problem by copying the dictionary related folder from my android installation of Moonreader into a corresponding folder location on my Fire. Next time I tried to look up a word on the Fire, Moonreader found it and no longer tried to go to Amazon.

Caution: I have no idea if that was the "right" thing to do. Made it up myself, but so far it's working fine for me. I'd give you more specifics but it was a few months ago I did it and can no longer remember exactly. But definitely no rocket science involved.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

TBH, the moon+ reader dictionary (colordict ?) is pretty much an abandoned project.
you can, as said above , install it but it is a confusing and multi-step process
you can, I think, set Moon's dictionary options to go online instead and use a better online dictionary
I didn't keep how-to notes either! it is less hassle after google play store is installed and working as you can look there for colordict if you really want that one. it's only plus point is that it works offline, but I always use my moon+ online so that it saves my reading position and highlights and bookmarks to dropbox.

with hands free alexa on that tablet you can probably ask for dictionary definitions instead
Old 11-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
TBH, the moon+ reader dictionary (colordict ?) is pretty much an abandoned project.
you can, as said above , install it but it is a confusing and multi-step process
you can, I think, set Moon's dictionary options to go online instead and use a better online dictionary

with hands free alexa on that tablet you can probably ask for dictionary definitions instead
I found that all the online options were unworkable, offline was better for me and so yeah, ColorDict was "good enough," the best of a poor lot, for me.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

unworkable how ?
if your tablet is online, then selecting or tapping for dictionary launches a definition in the default browser, and tapping "back" from that returns you to your reading page. that's how it works for me.
Colordict is missing many obscure words, which are what I want a dictionary for.

there's probably a huge choice of compatible dictionaries in the google play store, once you wrap your head around the interfacing of those with moon reader.
a new thread request would probably turn up good advice on how to do that
Old 11-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
unworkable how ?
if your tablet is online, then selecting or tapping for dictionary launches a definition in the default browser, and tapping "back" from that returns you to your reading page. that's how it works for me.
Colordict is missing many obscure words, which are what I want a dictionary for.

there's probably a huge choice of compatible dictionaries in the google play store, once you wrap your head around the interfacing of those with moon reader.
a new thread request would probably turn up good advice on how to do that
I'm not going to argue with you. I'm talking about my preferences, as I said. I don't want to have to go to a browser, to a site where sometimes the word isn't even brought over, but has to be re-entered, and so on.

So yeah, like I said, offline is better for me. Those sites unworkable for me.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

PS a quick forum search found this: for dictionaries on android
"Most readers on android allow this. Some of the most known: mantano, moon reader, fbreader. These three use another app for dictionary purposes: color dict. Color dict uses dictionaries in the stardic format. You can find free dictionaries for many languages in that format. Inside the reader apps, you just long tap a word and you get a popup with the translation. You can use as many dictionaries simultaneously as you like and color dic also can search wikipedia, if you are currently online."