Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question new windows clean install - lost some preferences

.so I had to clean install windows after PC got messed up and only a clean install would work,

then i installed a fresh download of 64 bit sigil . I did have a backup copy of my app data local sigil folder which i restored- which has stuff like my recent find replace usage , and I got those back OK

but my book view looks different - different font, different font size... I guess that preference is saved elsewhere ? or I am now running a later, different version of sigil ??. i was on v9-something before

so where are the book view preferences for font etc saved please there are several on the screen, serif, sans serif, specials.....

or were they in app data but somehow I failed to get my previous book view preference values back ( & I can't remember what i used- i just know it looked different to the current view )
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mine, on 0.9.9, are in sigil.ini user_preferences section

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	168506

I doubt that they've changed for years.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
All prefs are stored in the user AppData/local/Sigil ini files. If your fonts for Book View are different, the only thing I can think of is that Sigil was configured to use fonts on your old system that aren't available in the fresh install of Windows.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-> Diapdealer - you explained it while I was typing my message, I and i had that same realisation in mid-type. thanks

strange
in the back up file I see Caecilia, but in the book view of the new install I see Arial

maybe I got in a muddle, i had a lot of trouble with this PC, it developed a small bug that I could not fix, so I tried to force an update from 1803 to 1809 but that failed twice, and rolled back. Then I found a registry backup from a couple of weeks earlier which I had downloaded from a reputable? so I thought link. i restored registry from that, hoping it might fix the original bug, but it corrupted my one and only user profile, so I had no choice but to clean install. without a 2nd user profile to log into I could not see a bypass for that, though google has some complicated ones that might have worked

anyway - going around the loop I can recreate the bug
i told you what was in the back up file. I close trhe new sigil, overwrite app fdata with that old folder, open a book, and book view is back to showing ariel ???

bulb icon time! I think I have the answer. that caecilia font is not in this clean install, its not a windows font. I must have pulled it from a kindle so that myu book view on PC resembled what I was going to see on tablets.
sigil cant access a font that is not there so it is defaulting back to Ariel.

i need ot recall how i got that font in to windows last time around and go do it again

[user_preferences]
rename_template=
view_state=30
book_view_font_family_standard=Caecilia LT Medium
clean_on=3
default_metadata_lang=en
user_dictionary_name=default
book_view_font_family_serif=Caecilia LT Medium
default_version=2.0
ui_language=en

Last edited by stumped; 12-20-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

ps the registry backup and restore that wrecked my windows install [ corrupted user profile] was from here
https://www.tweaking.com/content/pag...ry_backup.html

though to be fair it may have been a combination of the failed + rolled back attempted updates + the originla bug + restoring the registry back into that mess

[ the original bug - which I had wasted 1/2 a day on - was that MS edge would not play netflix or amazon video - they playing in chrome though - and IE11 would not run at all unless I use run as admin. spent ages with netflix chat wiping cookies , rebooting etc. got nowhere. netflix insisted it was running already in another tab... because Edge is a system program integrated into windows , you cant wipe it and clean re-install like you would anything else...
anyway clean install seems to have fixed stuff, apart from windows moaning about ownership of some folders left on my data drive from before. I have changed the windows profile user name that I was using before & I guess it does not like that, but workarounds are working. I have a take ownership utility that i can zap folders with as needed
also that bug came after a more serious one a few weeks before that I thought I had recovered from - I tried to run a very old but legit game and it froze & locked up the display , then after rebooting I had completely lost the start menu and the jump lists and I could only run stuff where i had a taskbar icon. I had eventually gotten out of that by getting to system restore - the sys restore actually failed and rolled back but it somehow restored the start menu etc in the process...