Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
lizzybeth05
lizzybeth05 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook vs Kindle 2, please help!!

Hello all,

I have had some trouble with my SONY reader, so I have decided to cut my losses and get a new reader.

Right now I am trying to decide between Amazon’s Kindle & BN’s Nook, but I am having trouble making a decision.

My big concern is customer service - when I have problems with my reader, I want to be able to call the company and speak with a customer service agent who can help me troubleshoot the problems (preferably for free) and hopefully resolve the issue right over the phone. My understanding is that Amazon already offers this service, free of charge, for the Kindle. Does anyone know if this service is offered by BN for the nook?

Both devices seem to have both good & bad aspects, so the other concerns I have are fairly minor.

For the nook, the bad aspects are:
1) How EPUB handles page numbers:
On my Sony Reader, if I read a book in EPUB format, the page numbers are independent of the font size. For example, one screen on the reader may show a page number as 8-9, then when I turn the page it will show this new screen as page number 9, for the next 2 or 3 screens it will continue to show the page number as 9 until it eventually shows the page number as 9-10, and then the process starts all over. However, If I read the same book in LRF format the total # of pages will update when I change the font size, so that each new screen on my reader corresponds to a new page number. I realize that this is a fairly minor issue, but It annoys me that the page numbers in the EPUB format are independent of the screen size / font size. All my books are unprotected, and as such I can use Calibre to change the formats. Is there a way to correct this issue with page numbers in the EPUB book format using caliber? Also, does anyone know if the MOBI format will do the same as the EPUB format with the page numbers?
If this issue cannot be resolved, I may prefer to get the Kindle over the Nook.
2) The lack of stability for the NOOK is also a concern:
What I mean is that although the nook spouts all these great features, it appears that some of the features may not work as well as envisioned. It seems like BN eventually intends to address these concerns with firmware updates, but how long will it be before all the updates are available? This is BN’s first electronic reader device, and as such it seems like there are lot of bugs & kinks that need to be worked out, where as Amazon has been working with these for a few years now, so it seems like most of the Kindle features work as envisioned, where as this is not the case with the Nook
For the nook the good aspects are:
1) All the amazing features:
The nook advertise quite a few features that are new to electronic readers, such as lending books to friends & the ability to connect to WiFi (when available). Once BN works out all the kinks, these features could be really nice to have.
2) Memory Card Slot & removable battery:
Its nice to know, that should I need it, the NOOK has the ability to expand its memory via microSD cards & to replace the battery.
3) EPUB seems to be becoming the industry standard, and it seems to be the more common format for elibrary books.

For the Kindle, the ‘bad’ aspects are:
1) The appearance/size:
The Kindle has these large voids of space on the face of the devices such as the wide ‘margins’ on both sides of the screen and all the additional space around the keyboard. These ‘void’ areas give the impression of the Kindle being really large for no good reason. For this reason, it appears to be significantly larger than the nook
For the Kindle the ‘good’ aspects are:
1) Stability:
Amazon has built & sold three readers so far. The devices seem to be pretty stable and well developed, and for the minor glitches, they have good customer service (or so I’ve been told).
Keeping in mind all of these issues I’ve listed, can anyone who has the Kindle 2 or the Nook please shed some light. or if there are other issues I should also consider please let me know.
  • Does anyone know how well the customer service is for helping to trouble shoot for either device?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the stability or lack of stability for either of the Nook or the Kindle?
  • Does anyone know how to fix my “issues” with the page numbers in the EPUB format? And does the MOBI format have this same problem?
  • Am I correct about EPUB being the industry standard format?
Thanks in advance!
lizzybeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth05 View Post
Hello all,

I have had some trouble with my SONY reader, so I have decided to cut my losses and get a new reader.

Right now I am trying to decide between Amazon’s Kindle & BN’s Nook, but I am having trouble making a decision.

My big concern is customer service - when I have problems with my reader, I want to be able to call the company and speak with a customer service agent who can help me troubleshoot the problems (preferably for free) and hopefully resolve the issue right over the phone. My understanding is that Amazon already offers this service, free of charge, for the Kindle. Does anyone know if this service is offered by BN for the nook?

Both devices seem to have both good & bad aspects, so the other concerns I have are fairly minor.

For the nook, the bad aspects are:
1) How EPUB handles page numbers:
On my Sony Reader, if I read a book in EPUB format, the page numbers are independent of the font size. For example, one screen on the reader may show a page number as 8-9, then when I turn the page it will show this new screen as page number 9, for the next 2 or 3 screens it will continue to show the page number as 9 until it eventually shows the page number as 9-10, and then the process starts all over. However, If I read the same book in LRF format the total # of pages will update when I change the font size, so that each new screen on my reader corresponds to a new page number. I realize that this is a fairly minor issue, but It annoys me that the page numbers in the EPUB format are independent of the screen size / font size. All my books are unprotected, and as such I can use Calibre to change the formats. Is there a way to correct this issue with page numbers in the EPUB book format using caliber? Also, does anyone know if the MOBI format will do the same as the EPUB format with the page numbers?
If this issue cannot be resolved, I may prefer to get the Kindle over the Nook.
2) The lack of stability for the NOOK is also a concern:
What I mean is that although the nook spouts all these great features, it appears that some of the features may not work as well as envisioned. It seems like BN eventually intends to address these concerns with firmware updates, but how long will it be before all the updates are available? This is BN’s first electronic reader device, and as such it seems like there are lot of bugs & kinks that need to be worked out, where as Amazon has been working with these for a few years now, so it seems like most of the Kindle features work as envisioned, where as this is not the case with the Nook
For the nook the good aspects are:
1) All the amazing features:
The nook advertise quite a few features that are new to electronic readers, such as lending books to friends & the ability to connect to WiFi (when available). Once BN works out all the kinks, these features could be really nice to have.
2) Memory Card Slot & removable battery:
Its nice to know, that should I need it, the NOOK has the ability to expand its memory via microSD cards & to replace the battery.
3) EPUB seems to be becoming the industry standard, and it seems to be the more common format for elibrary books.

For the Kindle, the ‘bad’ aspects are:
1) The appearance/size:
The Kindle has these large voids of space on the face of the devices such as the wide ‘margins’ on both sides of the screen and all the additional space around the keyboard. These ‘void’ areas give the impression of the Kindle being really large for no good reason. For this reason, it appears to be significantly larger than the nook
For the Kindle the ‘good’ aspects are:
1) Stability:
Amazon has built & sold three readers so far. The devices seem to be pretty stable and well developed, and for the minor glitches, they have good customer service (or so I’ve been told).
Keeping in mind all of these issues I’ve listed, can anyone who has the Kindle 2 or the Nook please shed some light. or if there are other issues I should also consider please let me know.
  • Does anyone know how well the customer service is for helping to trouble shoot for either device?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the stability or lack of stability for either of the Nook or the Kindle?
  • Does anyone know how to fix my “issues” with the page numbers in the EPUB format? And does the MOBI format have this same problem?
Thanks in advance!
I can't confirm the stability issues with nook you mention. Might have been with the former firmware version?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth05 View Post
Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I can provide only some insight; I cannot comment on customer service or Kindle questions as I have use none. The page number display cannot be changed. But, in my opinion, the way it works on the nook is better, the page is the same irrespective of font size; if 2 people are reading the same book on different sizes, they can compare where they are.

Yes, Epub is becoming the industry standard - with the exception of Kindle, pretty much every other ebook reader out there seems to support it, and most ebook stores offer books in this format (though not exclusively).

B&N just released a version 1.2 which improves battery life and fixes some issues. It is a new product and it is bound to have still a few rough edges, but B&N are addressing those pretty quickly and, IMHO, 1.2 is very good.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Having had a Kindle 2 and now a brand new Nook, I can say customer service that I encountered personally from B&N was very pleasant. Amazon has great customer service too as well.

I also think the 1.2 firmware is great for me but since the update automatically updated in the store after I bought the Nook, I never got to compare the previous software to it. I have had no issues other people have experienced with their Nooks or any bad lag. It works just fine for me.

For me the biggest decision to seek out a new e-reader while I had the Kindle 2 was that I Just didn't seem to take to it. I didn't like it for whatever reason. It felt old fashioned as I held it and in it's design which wasn't a huge deal but mattered a bit. The contrast was poor, the grey background and font was difficult to read in dim light. I literally had to sit under my lamp in the living room to read at night. It became annoying. I heard about the Nook, saw videos and when I finally saw one in person several days ago, I saw the big difference in contrast. The Nook's background is off white/almost white, the fonts are very crisp, you can change the font style and I do NOT have to any longer sit under any lamp to read! It's a lot easier for me to read in dim light with my Nook. I can't stop reading ebooks while with my Kindle 2 I was unhappy with it and actually stopped reading.

My experience with my Nook is quite better than with my former Kindle 2. Both are good e-readers but I prefer my Nook over it any day. It gives for me a superior reading experience and is just plain FUN
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle does not have page numbers. They use "locations", which are approximately 128 bytes. They do not change with the font size, so location 123 is the same for everyone reading the book, regardless of font size. Location number is displayed at the bottom of the screen. MOBI format does not support page numbers, so it is not inherently part of the book.

The Nook "lending" is one time per book, if the publisher enables it for that book. Not necessarily a big thing.

You can have many Kindles or Kindle book readers on one account, and download the book to usually up to 6 devices (can vary by publisher). That is one possible way to share with a family member, or friend you really trust.

Amazon's customer service is excellent.

The sizes are very close: Nook: 196 x 126 x 13 mm (7.7" x 4.9" x .5"), weight 317g (11.2oz); Kindle 203 x 135 x 9 mm (8" x 5.3" x 0.36"), weight 289g (10.2oz).

Most Kindle owners find the memory size plenty large enough, without using an SD card. The Kindle can be sent back to Amazon for battery replacement, if it needs it (like an iPod).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I don't have a horse in this race since I use a Sony, but if I were being forced to buy between the two I would go Nook. Both devices are locked to their respective stores when it comes to "buy anywhere" content via their 3g abilities. I would choose the Nook because when I bought using the built in 3g, at least I would be getting a universal format. Every modern reader reads ePub except Kindle. About the only store that does not sell ePub is Amazon.

I of course know you can rip DRM, convert....etc.... but the average consumer is stuck with whatever format they buy the book in. This is of course MY opinion, to each their own....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote