Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
urgetech
urgetech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-2 Int'l
Question Java interface for PDF Rendering?

Before I go and wrack my brains to create a renderer of PDF's in Java in hopes to put it on the Kindle-2 ... Is there some glaring limitation or restriction that I am missing that has prevented the far smarter and more resourceful minds from doing this already? I am struggling with all of the PDF to mobi/prc converters since they all (MobiCreator and Calibre) fail to get the indexing or the table of contents right.

Put another way, is there anything that prevents a resourceful hacker from adding a Java 'booklet' to the Kindle's environment?
urgetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
1. I have reverse-engineered the Java booklet interface. Please see my previous post on this forum.
2. Kindle is using Adobe's Acrobat Mobile SDK. It is called through a JNI interface. I have reverse-engineered most of the functions & parameters. Unfortunately, Amazon didn't implement anything to read the TOC in Java, so you'd have to call them from the Adobe library, which is a C++ class library.
3. TOC could be implemented with PDR file hacking. I've done this with some code long time ago. But it has some bugs and I don't have time to fix them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgetech View Post
Before I go and wrack my brains to create a renderer of PDF's in Java in hopes to put it on the Kindle-2 ... Is there some glaring limitation or restriction that I am missing that has prevented the far smarter and more resourceful minds from doing this already? I am struggling with all of the PDF to mobi/prc converters since they all (MobiCreator and Calibre) fail to get the indexing or the table of contents right.

Put another way, is there anything that prevents a resourceful hacker from adding a Java 'booklet' to the Kindle's environment?
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Removed content of post. DairyNight post did a much better job answering the question

Last edited by =X=; 12-23-2009 at 02:25 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
java, kindle 2, pdf conversion