Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
jetBook's LCD screen

Have any of you jetBook owners noticed any difference in regard to eyestrain or reading difficulty with the jetBook LCD screen as opposed to eInk, with regard to reading for several hours at once?

I'm close to getting a jetBook, but of course I don't want to make a simple mistake.

Also, my eyes are particularly sensitive to glare.

Last edited by GA Russell; 10-26-2009 at 10:31 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Have any of you jetBook owners noticed any difference in regard to eyestrain or reading difficulty with the jetBook LCD screen as opposed to eInk, with regard to reading for several hours at once?

I'm close to getting a jetBook, but of course I don't want to make a simple mistake.

Also, my eyes are particularly sensitive to glare.
I compared jetBook screen with Sony 505 some time ago and I like jetBook screen more. You can find more information about jetBook screen here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
I bought the jetBook as a backup device. I love the screen and the folder system. After reading a few books on it I tried to go back to my Cybook, but the page turning - which I had gotten used to- really annoyed me, and the screen seemed washed out compared to the sharpness of the jetBook. So, I have been using the jetBook exclusively. The smaller size also makes it more convenient to take with me.

I read for hours at a time and I haven't had any problems with eye strain. As for glare, I didn't have a problem when I had it on the beach for a week.

Last edited by GoneNova; 10-27-2009 at 05:18 AM.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I've never had any particular problems.

It's possible to overstrain your eyes with many kinds of reading material. Just follow your mother's advice ("Turn on some light, you'll strain your eyes reading in the dark.") and remember to not read for hours at a stretch. Take a break every hour or so. Also, don't use just a spot light on your reading material. Turn on some ambient, diffuse light as well, so your eyes aren't just looking at a single bright object. That can cause glare which will annoy you.

The jetBook's reflective LCD is no different from any other reading material in these respects. My suspicion is that many cases of eyestrain are caused by people using backlit, or exclusively lit material in dark rooms with no background lighting. If you wouldn't read a glossy National Geographic under a particular set of conditions, don't read your jetBook there either.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for your responses, guys! That makes me a lot more comfortable.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert