Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I'm back, I couldn't resist checking: Myst was released on September 24, 1993, my 30th birthday Which makes it very old indeed
Wow! Sweet sixteen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #32
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I'd have to disagree; the written wor(l)d allows you to build up your own internal world using the author's descriptions as a guide. That is why (I think) people are perennially disappointed with movie adaptations; they take away from your own imagination and impose the view of a director/casting crew (can you now think of Gandalf without picturing Ian McKellen? Exactly).

There will always be books and reading, I think, and it will always be a small subgroup of the total population who love to read. I've read some ancient Greek text where the author laments about how today's youth does not read and how the world is basically going to hell in a handbasket.

But at the same time I am not a snob about formats; a good story/shared experience is a good story/shared experience, whether it is in music, painting, sculpture, a play, a movie, the written word, VR, brainstem interface or whatever.
+++

Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow. A book. With links. Why didn't I think of that?

Why isn't a television show called a "video novel"? Why isn't a movie called a "celluloid novel"? because there are significant differences between reading text and watching video.

To me, this shouldn't be called a "digi-novel" at all. It is a multi-media story or presentation, part novel (or is it novel, if the text itself does not convey the full story?), part video, part web, part whatever else you want to throw in there.

Penguin is obviously trying to revive the reading public's interest with bread and circuses. Me? I'd prefer they find some good stories to tell, and people who can tell them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #34
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

Penguin is obviously trying to revive the reading public's interest with bread and circuses. Me? I'd prefer they find some good stories to tell, and people who can tell them.
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
personally i'm not too convinced by this particular manifestation of a "multimedia" "digi-novel" mainly because it seems completely artificial and poorly implemented (as everybody else here has said already) but it did remind me of The Reprover, an interactive "digital fiction". so as not to derail this thread too much i've started a new one about it. i think we can expect to have liseuses capable of handling real multimedia (video, music...) very soon, so i wonder how many people will be attracted to true multimedia stories ? personally i think they're a distict form in their own right but i would expect the audience for books and the audience for this sort of interactive fiction to overlap somewhat.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #36
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very Off-Putting Indeed

I decided to give it a trial before passing judgement. The verdict: OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

First of all, you have to register, because the link takes you to a page with a contest and links to the story. Click a link, and it takes you to their registration page. The options are to create and sign in with your ID that you type in, or use your gmail address and allow it permission to plunder your contact list. Yep, it says it right there, and you have to click "yes" that it can plunder before you can move on.

So I cancelled and re-registered with a bunch of phony info. Finally, it let me have access, which took me to the B&N ebooks store so that I could spend $39.95 for the digi-novel experience.

Instead, I experienced the X in the top corner of the tab to close it and get out of there before they reached out of the screen and stole my purse.

Takeaway Point: More trouble than it is worth.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

they want 40$ for this thing ???? are they high ????
Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #38
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Kenny! Love your llama, you should use it for an avatar!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
i feel i may have missed a page of this thread somehow...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #40
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, why do they put up such barriers? You'd think for a new product they'd use penetration pricing, or offer a free sample to get you hooked. Not smart.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #41
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
So many MANY ways to abuse that post....

Must... restrain... self....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #42
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
they want 40$ for this thing ???? are they high ????
That's what I assumed when they popped up the box wanting to plunder my contact list.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That's what I assumed when they popped up the box wanting to plunder my contact list.
yes, i'm pretty sure it's the only possible explanation for *most* of this fiasco.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #44
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i feel i may have missed a page of this thread somehow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
So many MANY ways to abuse that post....

Must... restrain... self....
Click the link in his siggy to view his art. There's a punk rock llama with dyed zebra stripe hair.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #45
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Click the link in his siggy to view his art. There's a punk rock llama with dyed zebra stripe hair.
Well, it was the "love your llama" part of the post that was so abuseable I had to restrain my self yet again
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote