Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Don't like the PRS-500/505 contrast? Buy a dark blue reader!

Every now and then I see someone here (on mobileread) who still doesn't like the contrast, even that of the 2nd gen devices. Or others that like it, but still wouldn't mind if it was a tad better.

So if that's the case and if you haven't bought a reader yet, why not buy a dark blue one instead of a silver one? The darker frame will trick your brain to think the display background is whiter than it actually is. Optical illusions can be a good thing!

I haven't actually seen a silver reader yet so I don't have firsthand experience on my advice, but knowing how our eyes work, I don't think I'm terribly wrong. Or am I?
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yep, you're right. it's a famous optical illusion.

squares A and B are the same colour :

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_squaresAandBsameColour.jpg
Views:	3371
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	17910

here's proof :

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_9reveal.jpg
Views:	3855
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	17911
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoch View Post
...why not buy a dark blue one instead of a silver one?
Or, if you already have a silver one, get a dark color SkinIt cover.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoch View Post
I haven't actually seen a silver reader yet so I don't have firsthand experience on my advice, but knowing how our eyes work, I don't think I'm terribly wrong. Or am I?
No, I think you're right. The screen background on my (white) Kindle does tend to look darker than the identical Vizplex screen on my (black) Cybook.

Doesn't bother me at all...but if I were manufacturing reader devices, I would use darker material surrounding the screen.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, I think you're right. The screen background on my (white) Kindle does tend to look darker than the identical Vizplex screen on my (black) Cybook.
Yep... my wife's PRS-505 (silver) looks darker than my Hanlin (black) despite having the same screen...

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
color, colour theory, contrast, optical illusion