Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Something strange happened to my PW

I have a PW with backdoor lock, Collections Manager, JBPatch. Last night I turned wifi on to d/l the book of the month. This morning I wanted to get it set up so my son can use it, and something strange has happened. I wonder if it updated the firmware despite the lock. It is showing 5.3.3. I can't remember if that's what it was before but now the home page is different.

Selecting "all" "collections" no long shows non-collection items, such as collection manager. I have to select "active content" to show it. And under "collections" there is a "recent" option, which is empty even after a book is opened.

Also sending a book to the device, via calibre, does not show my series data now, despite nothing having changed in the metadata plugboard.

So does it sound like it updated? Is anyone familiar with the changes I mentioned? Maybe I should try to go back to 5.3.2. I don't know why my backdoorlock hack would have not prevented the update, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
That doesn't look like an OTA update, otherwise you would presumably have received version 5.3.6.

It looks like "simply" one of the "normal" malfunctions. Such strange things happen on Kindles all the time, just look around the forums here

That said, I don't have a clue as to how you can make it behave normally again. Sadly, the only option that seems to work most of the time is a factory reset. A less extreme solution is to try and remove some of the recently added books. Kindles like to hiccup on some sideloaded books, causing all kinds of weird behavior.

Last edited by twobob; 08-04-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: s /on / one
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Ixtab. I will remove the books and restart and see what it does. It could well have been the books, they are in a different calibre library, so maybe that hosed something.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It was the books!!!! One of them must be all kinds of trouble. I'll have to investigate their innards.

Thanks, Ixtab!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Something weird is happening to my PW as well. The Collections view used to show the collections at the beginning and then the recently opened books/latest uploaded. Now it only shows the collections and some order I cannot say what criterion it follows. I have removed all the books I had an added others and opening a book still does not bring it to the front. I would reset the device, but would this ruin the jailbreak? Also, I notice the device time keeps getting lost and I need to re-set it. Anyone else got this? And the cover is not working anymore. It should show the latest book cover, but it shows one of a book I already deleted, and even after I deleted the file from the screensaver folder.

Thanks for any suggestion you might have.

Last edited by kindleBunny; 08-05-2013 at 05:41 PM.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kindleBunny: IIRC, the Collections view only ever showed Collections, then *unfiled* items. The sorting order was either by date or title, can't remember.

The other issue you mention leads me to believe 'by date', which is why it relies on a stable time keeping to work in a reliable manner .

EDIT: And the ScreenSavers mention confirms that, it also relies on a consistent time keeping to get the last opened book.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your reply.

Will resetting device to factory defaults make me lose the jailbreak?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleBunny View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Will resetting device to factory defaults make me lose the jailbreak?
No, it won't.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
kindleBunny
Bunny

Device reset, all things back to normal. Thanks, guys.