Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Kobo Glo; Yes or No

Am thinking about getting a Kobo Glo. I use their app on my iPad and Iphone and am very pleased with the way it syncs the two. I've used the Sony 505 and now the T1 but neither of them synced. Also, the Glo shows you how many pages left in the chapter; a feature I really like.

Would appreciate and thoughts on this.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Am thinking about getting a Kobo Glo. I use their app on my iPad and Iphone and am very pleased with the way it syncs the two. I've used the Sony 505 and now the T1 but neither of them synced. Also, the Glo shows you how many pages left in the chapter; a feature I really like.

Would appreciate and thoughts on this.
I'm very happy with my Glo. From what you wrote, one potential issue is that syncing between devices and the page per chapter display will only work with Kobo's epub books. Books you download from the local library or purchase elsewhere will not sync and will display the pages per book. On the other hand, the "pages" per book are based on a fixed number of compressed characters in the epub file so you will find several screens per page. The upside is that the page number is consistent between devices using Adobe's page size calculation which allows me to refer to a page in a technical manual on my Kobo or my iPad.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Dave. Good advice!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I am very happy with my Glo. The only issue that I have had is that if I had any expired library books on the Glo...they had to be removed BEFORE I added new ones. I had a tendency to load all of my new titles and then go back and delete the expired ones. This would somehow "infect" the new titles and I could not open my library rentals. A wonderful person here on the forums replied to my help seeking thread, and once i made the habit of removing the expired titles first..all has been golden.

I just thought I would add that in just in case you like to read library titles. I am a huge library user.

I have no regrets on my Glo purchase.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks.

BTW, who sells the Glo? I looked at Best Buy the other day but all they had was the Touch. I'd like to hold a Glo in my hands before buying one.

Thanks
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Yes - get the Kobo Glo.

I use it to borrow books from the library and I also use it to read manga.

I understand that Kobo does not have a strong presence in the US.

According to the Kobo site, the only reliable place is the Family Christian site.

Unless you have some Canadian friends that can get you one.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks RZetlin.

Problem is I don't associate with Canadians and won't consider doing so until you stop sending those damn Alberta Clippers down here, eh. Okay, okay, it is Spring so maybe I can make an exception.

And, I just went on the Kobo site and found an indie bookstore not far away that carries them. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Yes - get the Kobo Glo.

I use it to borrow books from the library and I also use it to read manga.

I understand that Kobo does not have a strong presence in the US.

According to the Kobo site, the only reliable place is the Family Christian site.

Unless you have some Canadian friends that can get you one.

AND independent booksellers - which he failed to mention.

Try Powells, which is where I (and a number of other members) purchased their Kobo Glo.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have a Kobo Glo and love it.
Of course as usual with Kobo fiirmwares it's a bit of a gamble as to whether going to be 100% stable, so it does have it's quirks.
but the hardware itself is rock solid and so far the Firmware seems pretty good for me at the time of posting this reply.

The backlight is fantastic, I can read anywhere without having to be under a light. I can read in bed without waking up my wife. Or on the sofa with the lights out whilst others are watching TV etc..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It's fair to say Kobo has their share of bugs, but the hardware is rock solid, possibly with the best front lit e-ink screen in terms of even lighting. The bugs they have, while annoying, are usually pretty minor aggravations and they do continue to upgrade their firmware and add features even for past models, so they're a good gamble.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
anandg46
anandg46 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Most definitely get it. I am extremely happy with my Glo. Have about 600-700 books in the main memory and it is working faultlessly. I have not upgraded the software from the 2.15 it came with and very happy with the stability. Also get the original cover if you can. It simplifies the reading experience.
anandg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Try ebay, that's where I bought mine.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Shoot, now the Kobo Aura is out. Got to think about that.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Glo no. Aura HD maybe.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do yourself a favour and buy a paperwhite instead. Best front light display and contrast and really paper-white, by far, best software, by far, best touchscreen by far, best customer service, by far.

If you have to buy something from kobo and are willing to deal with the numerous "side effects" and frustrations go with the aura.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote