Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Help! Corrupted books Directory

I've posted this to the iRex forum, but I thought I'd post it here too, since the more help the merrier...

I was copying some files from my linux machine to my new iLiad via USB cable, when it the disk was full. I deleted a big file that I didn't need on there, in order to get the smaller files on, but the deletion stalled at 0%. Now I can no longer access anything in the books directory on my iLiad -- the green light flashes indefinitely, and I have to reset to get out of the loop. All the other directories are working fine. I've tried deleting the book directory using the iliad (more pointless flashing) and via my PC (it just stalls and eventually the PC crashes!)

Any help appreciated!!!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
How did you try to delete the file from within linux? IIRC you are using ubuntu--correct? Did you use the nautilus file manager? That creates a .trash folder so it could be trying to move the file from one part of the internal memory to another and generally getting itself in a real tizzy.
Your iliad will be mounted in /media so you could try opening a terminal and
Code:
cd /media
and figure out which one is your iliad (I think it will be the user name you use for the iliad), then cd to the books directory and delete the file using rm. Also try to find .trash and remove that.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm using MEPIS 7 (KDE based), and was trying to use konqueror. I've tried, as you suggested, using the command line, but there are a couple of files in the directory that say "cannot remove: input/output error" when I try, and without getting rid of them it won't let me get rid of the directories. I tried, as superuser, using the rm -d option, but it says the directory is read-only. There's no sign of a .trash folder that I can see.

I've discovered I can read books from the Docs directory, and I've swapped the Books button to point to the USB stick, so I don't accidentally press it and send the iLiad off on one of it's flashing lights sessions, so at least my iLiad is still usable.

I'm wondering about whether it's possible to re-format the memory from the computer, as I would a USB stick, but I'm a bit worried I might reformat the firmware too; I've read about the reflash option, but it needs a CF card, which I don't have. I had a look at the iLiad in GParted, and it claims the partition is 125 Mb and "unallocated", which it plainly isn't, so I'm not sure what it's looking at.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
carandol
Evangelist

Problem solved! iRex technical support told me to back up my files, then reformat the iLiad as FAT32. Worked a treat.