Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #466
Salah
Enthusiast
Salah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
why is this app so hard to setup ?
the install guide is not that clear , please we need a tutorial, an easy one
thanks
Salah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #467
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's so hard to setup because of the level of knowledge needed. I don't earn money with this, it is just a publication of code I've written. I don't have time nor motivation to do tutorials for software in such an early development stage, sorry. If I had the time at hand, I'd rather fix lingering bugs in the code (I'm 100% positive there are some).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #468
dfect
dfect began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
/me scratches his head. I think the "home" key is intended to quit the app. (looks at code...) Yes, it is. Doesn't that work?
Yes, I can see that line in config.lua but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I tried pressing it multiple times (the button works in normal kindle mode, outside kindlevncviewer). I always have to kill the process via telnet.

Is there some way to debug?
dfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #469
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. For a start, just inserting a "print(...)" (that ... being a variable worth inspecting or just a debug "string") in the relevant part of the code could give more information. Unfortunately, I don't have a kindle anymore which has buttons.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #470
NewToKindle
NewToKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle dxi
Hello,
new member here!
I was trying this tinyapp http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html but the last step (3.c) it seems not working:

[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/powerd stop

Stopping Power Management Daemon: [root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

[root@kindle root]# -sh: /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: not found

What's the problem?
Thanks!
NewToKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #471
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToKindle View Post
Hello,
new member here!
I was trying this tinyapp http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html but the last step (3.c) it seems not working:

[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/powerd stop

Stopping Power Management Daemon: [root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

[root@kindle root]# -sh: /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: not found

What's the problem?
Thanks!
Is that file present at the path and name given in the "not found" message?

It is in the proper place inside of the archive you where supposed to install, from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434

Last edited by knc1; 09-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #472
NewToKindle

Well, yes, I think the file should be in the correct place because I followed the instructions in tinyapps page http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html

OS X Mavericks
kindle dxi
Software version 2.5.6
I copied the entire folder kindlevncviewer in the USB storage root of the kindle

The problem now is that the kindle doesn't appear any more when I plug it with the USB cable, and the battery always displays the lightning (charging) even if it isn't connected to anything.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #473
NewToKindle

Probably this is a step further
(I added another "kindlevncviewer" in the directory because probably I wasn't supposed to copy the whole folder named "kindlevncviewer" in my kindle root but only the internal folder called the same way "kindlevncviewer"),
so, can you tell me whether I've done a step further and what's the new problem? :-)

[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &
[root@kindle root]# com.lab126.powerd failed to set value for property preventScreenSaver (0x3)
25/09/2014 22:46:29 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
25/09/2014 22:46:29 Unable to connect to VNC server
com.lab126.powerd failed to set value for property preventScreenSaver (0x3)

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #474
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Well, yes, I think the file should be in the correct place because I followed the instructions in tinyapps page http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
- - - -
No thought required, just look.

Just telnet into the kindle and try to list that path/filename.
ls -l /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh
( that is dash ell == means long -- same as on your Mac)

If not there, un-do what you have done and re-read step 2.A
(Which means that one directory, found in Hawhill's archive.)

Toggle USBnetworking off and the Kindle should go back into "mass storage" mode so you can see the files over the USB cable.
(I.E: repeat 3.a-i..ii)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #475
hawhill
Wizard

Quote:
25/09/2014 22:46:29 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
25/09/2014 22:46:29 Unable to connect to VNC server
That's from kindlevncserver, so the software works at this point. Now it's your network setup and/or server configuration you need to fix. The kindle can't connect back to the host PC at this point. Maybe you misconfigured the VNC server, maybe you misconfigured a firewall, maybe the IP settings of the USB network interface. That's where you need to look next.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #476
MoyoWa
MoyoWa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW2
I might have found a new problem!

I had this working beautifully on one Mac, and then was trying to get it set up on a newer Mac.... I get a funny interlaced image, where each corner of my display is shown in each corner of the Kindle, but it overlaps to show everything... I've attached a picture here:

Any ideas what setting I need to change??

Using Vine Server with RFB 3.3... Same settings for everything on both computers... The only difference I know of is that the new computer has a Retina display... Not sure if this is the cause somehow?

Thank you!!

Last edited by MoyoWa; 10-01-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: updated picture url
MoyoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #477
PieMan597
Still a pie
PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, OnePlus 7 Pro
Try setting the resolution of your computer down, that should help.
PieMan597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #478
hawhill
Wizard

Even with the wrong resolution, the picture is supposed to get cropped, not presenting as shown above. I'd suggest to test with another vnc viewer, maybe even on the server machine (connect to localhost then). If it shows correctly, the problem lies on the Kindle side.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #479
NewToKindle

What if my mouse's cursor doesn't appear in the screen?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #480
MoyoWa
MoyoWa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Even with the wrong resolution, the picture is supposed to get cropped, not presenting as shown above. I'd suggest to test with another vnc viewer, maybe even on the server machine (connect to localhost then). If it shows correctly, the problem lies on the Kindle side.
Hi Hawhill,

It's the same Kindle that works on one Mac but not the other... Using Vine Server on both computers, but I can try another VNC server. I did try adjusting the resolution first, but no go... My guess will be that it has something to do with Retina, unless someone else has had this work on a newer Mac laptop?

Thank you for the swift reply!
MoyoWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc