Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
New Kindle Touch [Proposals and Thoughts]

What do you guys think are the chances of Amazon putting a touch screen on the next Kindle? Wouldn't it be awesome? In particular, page turning and web browsing would be very cool. I know it's possible, because another company recently released a tablet with a touch-input e-ink screen.

Sorry for the misleading title!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-20-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Title is misleading - Moderator
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon purchased a touch screen technology start-up company but there is no word on when we might see touch on a Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It won't appear until summer next year at the earliest just from the existing release dates. Amazon appear to have a 1 year + a few months product refresh cycle.

If the dates are accurate on Wikipedia then they released the regular Kindles on the following dates:

1st generation: November 19, 2007
2nd generation: February 9, 2009
3rd generation: August 27, 2010

The DX refresh dates seem to be much more frequent however:

Kindle DX (1st Gen): June 10, 2009
Kindle DX (2nd Gen): Jan 19, 2010
Kindle DX Graphite (3rd Gen): July 7, 2010
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Sweet! Thanks for the replies. I bet the next Kindle will have a touch screen. How else can they brag about innovative updates? Plus with all of these new touch-screen tablets coming out, they would seem left-behind if they didn't join the pack.

I didn't realize that there was already a big thread on this board on the same topic. It was under "News", and I never look there.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I wouldn't mind if it had a touch screen, so long as I never had to touch it and it had zero negative impact on display quality.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As long as there's still buttons to manually navigate and turn pages (and no sacrifice in clarity), I'm cool with it. But if I gotta start pinchin' screens to navigate and swipin' fingers to turn pages on a fuzzier screen... count me out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
As was stated before, Amazon did purchase touchscreen company and Kindle DX is well overdue for a refresh since it lacks WiFi and all 3.0 software goodies.

I'm pretty sure that it will be released this spring. I'd say it's 20/70 chance that it will have touch or color correspondingly and 10% that it will have both. It's just my personal guess.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I dislike touch screens. I've been stuck with a touch screen phone for nearly two years waiting on my contract to run out. I hate it. If ATM machines have a button option, I will always use that over a touch screen - same with the credit/debit card machines at check outs. Yuk!

Not only do I dislike touching screens, but they are always a PITA. They are always either too sensitive or not sensitive enough and seem to go back and forth between the two with no predictable consistancy.

Anyway, a touch screen Kindle would be a nightmare. Wouldn't that mean losing the eInk and going with a backlit screen? I really hope they don't go there. I spend all day looking at a computer screen and by the time I read in the evenings my over strained eyes like to relax with my Kindle screen.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Anyway, a touch screen Kindle would be a nightmare. Wouldn't that mean losing the eInk and going with a backlit screen? I really hope they don't go there. I spend all day looking at a computer screen and by the time I read in the evenings my over strained eyes like to relax with my Kindle screen.
No, no need to go to a backlit screen. The Sonys, which also have use the Pearl screen, have touch that does not effect the clarity of the screen and works very well. I still prefer buttons for page turning and typing but I do like navigating by touch.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The touchscreen on the new Sonys are very nice but without wifi the 650 is a disappointment, IMO. I could easily get used to that style of touchscreen on a Kindle but I still would like to keep the page turn, menu, back and home buttons.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
judith009
Groupie

I think the biggest benefit would be in browsing the web (and using apps, if that ever happens). I really like using the K3 as a web browser, even though I have an iPhone. I guess it just seems easier to read text articles on the K3, maybe because of the larger screen. It's just so difficult to navigate without a touch screen.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The touchscreen on the new Sonys are very nice but without wifi the 650 is a disappointment, IMO. I could easily get used to that style of touchscreen on a Kindle but I still would like to keep the page turn, menu, back and home buttons.
If either Amazon or Sony could create a hybrid of the Kindle and 650 (the infamous "Kinny" or "Sindle") combining the best features (buttons, touch, browser and wifi), it would be a killer device.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I think the biggest benefit would be in browsing the web (and using apps, if that ever happens). I really like using the K3 as a web browser, even though I have an iPhone. I guess it just seems easier to read text articles on the K3, maybe because of the larger screen. It's just so difficult to navigate without a touch screen.
There's nothing wrong with wanting something like that. I just worry that they're going to gimmick themselves right out of getting my business in the future. I really don't want to do anything on my Kindle except read books. I hope they always make a basic device that will keep users like me happy. Buy book, open book, read book... that's all I want.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I saw the thread title and was about to have a hissy fit since I just bought my kindle a couple months ago. I'd totally want a new one if it had a touchscreen. I've been an Apple girl for a long time, and that's the one thing I miss with the Kindle.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
While I agree that touchscreens are a pain (especially when combined with slow technology such as eInk) I'd have to admit that they are very nice in eReaders because they save space. You don't use keyboard in ereaders that often and having a full qwerty keyboard for the rare times you do is an overkill.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, touch