Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Nook HD+ is on sale for Father's Day

Hi,
I purchased a Nook HD+ for Mother's Day and love it..

Now they are selling the HD+ for $149 now until Father's Day! My husband is gettig one of these. This is a great buy. It doesn't matter if you buy books from B&N or not. I get my books from Kobo, Google Books and where ever else and read them on the Montano Reader app from Google play.

I am just passing the word.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I decided to get one just because of the price and because I've found the Nook HD to be a useful tablet and wanted the larger size, and ordered it online from Walmart with in-store pickup. It was showing "in stock" at my local store. My "it's ready, pick it up now" email turned out to be a "sorry, we don't have it in stock and have wait for a shipment" email. So instead of getting the device today, I now have a time-frame of 3-6 days, with my new order date pickup date now June 19th, which is actually 8 days away.

If I had wanted it for a Father's Day gift, I would have be SOL.

So if you are ordering it that way, call the store first to make sure it is really in stock.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I couldn't resist, I didn't have a tablet yet and the Nook HD+ is rolling at about the minimum resolution my eyes can take. Ideally, I'd like the Nexus 10, but can't really afford it. This will fill in nicely while I wait and see what might come along.

Without Google Play, I'd never have considered it. But with, well that's another story. I picked mine up at Walmart two days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. Customized my home screen with a launcher tonight, much nicer than the Nook look.

I think the size is just right, large enough to be useful, but still decent to hold and carry around in my bag. The price was definitely right! Especially with no sales tax in my state.

Edit: I got the 32GB model, have played with it for two days, I'm impressed, it's better than expected. Not all my apps were able to be installed from Google Play, but most did. I can live without the few that didn't. Wasn't terribly impressed with the native reader, but no biggie since I prefer Mantano. Not that I plan to read on this much, mostly this is for app and Internet use. I will do some magazines though, it's perfect for that!

Last edited by graycyn; 06-12-2013 at 03:36 AM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I so want one of these....grrrrr....why can't I have the cash now???
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
I picked up the 32gb version at local Barnes and Noble on Sunday then found an M-Edge cover at Staples for $5.00. So far very impressed at the price point.
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Customized my home screen with a launcher tonight, much nicer than the Nook look.
Could you tell me what launcher you are using please, I'm new to android and don't really understand about changing the home screen and I'd like to, the colours are quite bland for me.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Could you tell me what launcher you are using please, I'm new to android and don't really understand about changing the home screen and I'd like to, the colours are quite bland for me.

Thanks
Two popular ones are GO Launcher EX (the one I use) and ADW Launcher. Install one of them and the next time you go to your home screen, you'll get a choice of apps to use. Select the new app and make it default.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Two popular ones are GO Launcher EX (the one I use) and ADW Launcher. Install one of them and the next time you go to your home screen, you'll get a choice of apps to use. Select the new app and make it default.
My preference is Nova Launcher.

Whenever Google offers discounts, Nova is usually one of the participant devs; Google is bound to cross the 50B downloads any moment now, so a sale could be coming - keep your eyes open for a possible sale on the prime version of Nova.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thank you both, i'll keep an eye out for them
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Thanks
I'm using Holo Launcher HD at present, but there are other good ones out there as people have posted. If Nova Launcher goes on sale at any point, I might try that.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a head's up for those of you who might have Amazon Instant Videos access via your Prime subscription, install either the Puffin or the NEXT browser. Both of them support Flash and will play the videos.

Also, if you've bought music from Amazon that they've stored in their cloud, Google Play has an app for the Amazon MP3 player that will access that music for you without having to actually store the music on your device.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I could not resist the sale prices and so picked up the HD a few days ago. I am very pleased with it.

I find the native interface fine and so far don't feel the need to go to an alternate launcher. The native design is tasteful, but you can completely empty the home page of distracting shelves and icons and put your own custom wallpaper on it. This is much more customization than you can do with a non-jailbroken iOS device.

I would not have bought the HD if not for B&N opening the device to Google Play. So far, almost all the apps I've tried from Google will work on the HD. The exception? MSNBC, TV Guide, Yelp, and some map apps. However, I found alternates for TV Guide, MSNBC and the maps. But I don't think there is an alternative for Yelp. Has anyone been able to download Yelp to their HD or HD+ without going through the special procedures for developers?

At any rate, I'd recommend anyone sitting on the fence to take advantage of this fantastic sale. The screens are beautiful on both the HD and HD+. The HD+ actually has a slightly better (sharper) screen than the HD, as well as a better design IMO, but I wanted something smaller and more portable so I opted for the HD. If you can live with the restrictions of no cameras, no GPS, and an occasional app not working with it, these Nooks provide the best screen bang for the buck right now with almost a full android experience.

Two other things I'm very happy with: They have the card slots. In the user guide, it says you can even use 64gb micro sd cards, as long as they are of the SDXC type. Plus the music playback is very good. There is no background hiss, and with Play Music, there is a fully customizable equalizer.

There's no telling if B&N will be selling them at these prices again.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I use the i.TV app (via Google Play) as my TV guide app and am very happy with it.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'm using Holo Launcher HD at present, but there are other good ones out there as people have posted. If Nova Launcher goes on sale at any point, I might try that.
The basic version of Nova is free. There is a paid add-on that unlocks a few features, though the basic offers pretty much anything you may need. I believe the only feature I use from the prime version is gestures, to open my notification panel by sliding down on the middle of the screen, or open the recent apps by sliding up.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The basic version of Nova is free. There is a paid add-on that unlocks a few features, though the basic offers pretty much anything you may need. I believe the only feature I use from the prime version is gestures, to open my notification panel by sliding down on the middle of the screen, or open the recent apps by sliding up.
Thanks, I didn't know there was a free version. I'll try that, if I like I'll buy.