Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
New Record! (battery charging)

So the new Kindle and Nook can go for 2 months between *** FULL *** charges can they...

Just put my 650 on charge (wall charger) as it had dropped to 50%/2 bars.
(This is when I usually charge it.)

I haven't been reading as much during the day lately, usually 30 -60 minutes since early April.

Checked my charging records for the 650 and the last charge was on
*** APRIL 13TH ***

That's 52 days since I last charged it. Seems like the Sony 650 has always been able to do what new readers from the 'competition' are claiming what their NEW models can only NOW do...

I wonder if it would have taken another 52 days for it to be fully discharged with my current reading pattern...
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you read the claims carefully they say the same thing about their battery run as everybody else, it is just another way of putting it. They assume 30mins of reading per day which then amounts to the two month charging cylce.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
If you read the claims carefully they say the same thing about their battery run as everybody else, it is just another way of putting it. They assume 30mins of reading per day which then amounts to the two month charging cylce.
And if you read the OP's post, you'll see he is getting >3 months between charges, which blows the B&N claim out of the water.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
abadboy
abadboy doesn't litterabadboy doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You must not read much.
abadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
I haven't been reading as much during the day lately, usually 30 -60 minutes since early April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadboy View Post
You must not read much.
Yeah, he thinks so too
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And if you read the OP's post, you'll see he is getting >3 months between charges, which blows the B&N claim out of the water.
He shuts it off completely when not reading whereas all calculations done by companies are in stand-by mode.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Checked my charging records for the 650 and the last charge was on
*** APRIL 13TH ***
Is this something you do manually or is there some bit of information built into the 650 that I have missed.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Is this something you do manually or is there some bit of information built into the 650 that I have missed.
Nah, you haven't missed anything. It is kind of Max's hobby to keep track of the battery life. Have a look here for the history of the opening post.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nah, you haven't missed anything. It is kind of Max's hobby to keep track of the battery life. Have a look here for the history of the opening post.
Thanks *Poppaea* I thought I had missed something in the settings that recorded the battery usage and charge cycle.

I have to admit I've no idea how long the battery lasts on mine, I just use it until the indicator shows one bar and then recharge.

All I do know is that you should never completely discharge a lithium ion battery.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Thanks *Poppaea* I thought I had missed something in the settings that recorded the battery usage and charge cycle.

I have to admit I've no idea how long the battery lasts on mine, I just use it until the indicator shows one bar and then recharge.

All I do know is that you should never completely discharge a lithium ion battery.
As far as I am concerned there is not more to know about it. How often you have to charge depends on your reading habits anyway and as I am not crossing Sahara with no electricity to connect to, I couldn't care less as to how long the battery holds up. They have life span of about 400 charging cycles, which gives your device a couple of years before the battery won't work anymore. I am sure, we will have upgrade before that happens.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Manually. I record the date each time I charge it in a spreadsheet.

I do this for all my devices that use LiOn batteries, it helps to see if theres any change in the charging pattern over time, (if the battery is wearing out/reaching it's 'end of life'/is faulty) if I'm having to charge them more often, and how my use of the device affects it's charging cycle.

It showed me the best charging cycle for my 650 was to power off during reading sessions, rather than put it in standby. The charge lasts longer and I dont have to charge it as much (50% less than standyby mode, once a month rather than once a fortnight)
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Manually. I record the date each time I charge it in a spreadsheet.

I do this for all my devices that use LiOn batteries, it helps to see if theres any change in the charging pattern over time, (if the battery is wearing out/reaching it's 'end of life'/is faulty) if I'm having to charge them more often, and how my use of the device affects it's charging cycle.

It showed me the best charging cycle for my 650 was to power off during reading sessions, rather than put it in standby. The charge lasts longer and I dont have to charge it as much (50% less than standyby mode, once a month rather than once a fortnight)
Thanks for the information Max.

I have only recently purchased my 650 so as long as I don't let it discharge completely I'm sure the battery will last more than long enough.

I only had my 600 for about a year before upgrading so no doubt I will have upgraded the 650 well before the battery expires.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #13
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
As far as I am concerned there is not more to know about it. How often you have to charge depends on your reading habits anyway and as I am not crossing Sahara with no electricity to connect to, I couldn't care less as to how long the battery holds up. They have life span of about 400 charging cycles, which gives your device a couple of years before the battery won't work anymore. I am sure, we will have upgrade before that happens.
The figure of 400 charging cycles seems to be a conservative one stated by the manufacturer just to be on the safe side.

If you read the following article it would appear that if you recharge regularly a figure approaching 5000 charge cycles is possible. It seems it is all dependant on the point at which you recharge and the temperature the battery is regularly subjected to.

Luckily high temperatures are a problem we do not have here in the UK - often!

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries