Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
xhtml file name change

Recently I decided to change the .xhtml file names in an epub I'm creating to more closely follow the contents of the files. Usually I have no problems but today Sigil 0.3 refused to let me change the names of two of the files; all the others were ok with name changes. The files seem to be more or less identical except for contents to all the others in the epub. I exited Sigil and cold rebooted, but that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas about why the problem, and how the solve it?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
but today Sigil 0.3 refused to let me change the names of two of the files; all the others were ok with name changes.
Don't you just hate it when software develops a mind of its own such that it acts petulantly? Bad Sigil; no doughnut!

I am going to try and use telepathy to guess the names of the files you were trying to rename. Let's see; how about w00t.htm to w00t.xhtml ? No? Hmm... abc.html to xyz.xhtml ?

I give up. What were the file names (and what you wanted to name them) that failed and what was one of the ones that succeeded?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What is the change you are trying? If it's only some lowercase to uppercase, it could be Windows preventing the change. Or maybe you are trying to use some filename that is "reserved" (if I remember correctly, you can't have a file named "aux", for instance).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shall1028, Jelby,
I was trying to change chapter001.xhtml to Chapter001.xhtm. The problem was indeed as Jellby suggested - it was the change in case that was not permitted. When I changed chapter001.xhtml to Section001.xhtml and then to Chapter001.xhtml, the changes went through without any problem.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
When I changed chapter001.xhtml to Section001.xhtml and then to Chapter001.xhtml
The less typing version would be: chapter001.xhtml to zchapter001.xhtml to Chapter001.xhtml. Any 1 letter variant would work too.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic

shall1028
Thanks, I give that a try. I don't understand. though, why Windows xp wouldn't let the name change go through. Using Windows Explorer, I had no difficulty changing the name of a file from Heading.png to heading.png and back.
Bob
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
shall1028
Nameless Being

Filenames in Windows are case insensitive. That is if I open a command prompt and type: del ABC.txt the file abc.txt will be deleted.

Perhaps whatever libraries Valloric is using has interaction problems with Windows. I seem to recall there was a time in Windows Explorer where trying to change the name of a file from Heading.png to heading.png and back would not actually work. Perhaps there's remnants of that behaviour still present.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Filenames in Windows are case insensitive. That is if I open a command prompt and type: del ABC.txt the file abc.txt will be deleted.

Perhaps whatever libraries Valloric is using has interaction problems with Windows. I seem to recall there was a time in Windows Explorer where trying to change the name of a file from Heading.png to heading.png and back would not actually work. Perhaps there's remnants of that behaviour still present.
He is making sure that the case is exactly as named in usage, for file systems that are case sensitive.
In Linux, you can have Image01.jpg and image01.jpg and Image01.JPG: All 3 at the same time. Windows gets
Changing the name by adding or removing a character forces Windows to re-write, it to the underlying directory entry, while changing the case, just changes what you see. in Windows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic

I didn't know about the different situations in windows concerning rewriting. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually file names in Windows are case-sensitive. However, usually Windows ignores it because it assumes that the one working with it regards it as case-insensitive.
Sometimes the case-sensitive beast puts up his head...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Actually file names in Windows are case-sensitive. However, usually Windows ignores it because it assumes that the one working with it regards it as case-insensitive.
Sometimes the case-sensitive beast puts up his head...
This is wrong. Windows uses a case-insensitive, but case-preserving filesystem. Meaning that it will store "ExaMple.txt" as such, but querying for "example.TXT" will give you that original file. This also means that you can't rename "ExaMple.txt" to "example.TXT" because Windows will see it as the same filename. You can't rename something to itself.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
It would be nice if Sigil would treat the request to rename "ExaMple.txt" to "example.TXT" in such a way as to rename it in two steps with a different intermediate name first. It is a little bit more work for Sigil but a relief for the user.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote