Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
godlike
godlike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
KOReader and KOA questions

Hi!
Going to move out from my current Kindle 3 with CoolReader to something newer.
As I'm fan of Kindle devices, want to investigate KOReader's behavior on Kindle Oasis device.
So, I have few questions:
1) Is Kindle Oasis supported in KOReader?
1a) Are hardware keys of KOA supported?
1b) Is backlight(turning on/off/level adjusting) supported?
1c) Is accelerometer supported?
2) Do the same settings as in CoolReader exist in KOReader also?
2a) Could I remove fields around text up to zero?
2b) Is it possible to use my own OTF font?
2c) Is it possible to fully remove all elements but text from screen(progress bar, buttons, etc)
2d) Are there settings of font smoothing/hinting/gamma correction?
2e) Are there settings of space width, line spacing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by godlike; 11-24-2016 at 06:37 AM.
godlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
I'm not sure if it works with Kindle Oasis, but I see there are version for two Kindle types. I guess it supports Oasis. Some things I know for sure how it works with Kobo and guess that works in almost same way for Kindles:

1b) There's two way to control light. One through settings and other through gesture, like with nickel, but it is more advanced than in nickel.

2) It may depend on what settings you're interested, but most important settings are there. I have installed koreader and CR, but use actively only koreader.

2b) For fonts, I use custom TTF fonts, not sure about OTF.

2c) Yes
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlike View Post
Hi!
Going to move out from my current Kindle 3 with CoolReader to something newer.
As I'm fan of Kindle devices, want to investigate KOReader's behavior on Kindle Oasis device.
So, I have few questions:
1) Is Kindle Oasis supported in KOReader?
1a) Are hardware keys of KOA supported?
1b) Is backlight(turning on/off/level adjusting) supported?
1c) Is accelerometer supported?
2) Do the same settings as in CoolReader exist in KOReader also?
2a) Could I remove fields around text up to zero?
2b) Is it possible to use my own OTF font?
2c) Is it possible to fully remove all elements but text from screen(progress bar, buttons, etc)
2d) Are there settings of font smoothing/hinting/gamma correction?
2e) Are there settings of space width, line spacing?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hi godlike,
  • the Kindle Oasis is well supported, this includes the hardware buttons.
  • the lights can be adjusted via menu or via swiping up and down with two fingers
  • accelerometer is supported
  • KoReader has it's own settings as it's a different program Configuration of line-spacing and margins is IMHO much easier in CoolReader. But you can predefine 3 settings for line-spacing and margins in KoReader (small, medium, large) and change them with a tip of your finger. You can edit these presets in the defaults.lua or with the advanced settings menu
  • you can read with nearly zero margins
  • gui elements can be hidden
  • you can predefine 3 gamma values and change them comfortably via menu
  • some values are only accessable through editing the defaults.lua, e.g. hinting
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
the lights can be adjusted via menu or via swiping up and down with two fingers
You also can toggle lights by tapping predefined zone (by default it's lowest left zone) and you also have information about light level (off-1-100), which is visible in lower status bar.

But, to get light toggling working, at the moment you need to play a bit with configuration files, as I described here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-261928796

In this comment I set light toggling to lowest left position, but it can be placed whenever you want and can be made as big or small as you like. It isn't that intuitive, but it can be done.

All in all, this is much superior way of light controlling to anything I saw.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
godlike
godlike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thank you guys for such detailed answers, going to buy Kindle Oasis.
Editing of config files does not scare me, it's even better to use them as absolutely predictable way of storing of config values.
godlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert