Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
Dictionary and font size issue?

I'm experiencing a peculiar problem with the double-tap dictionary function.
On my russified 350, I'm currently reading the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which I downloaded from the E-book Uploads sub-forum. On page 50, I wanted to look up the word "quinsy" but I get the error icon at the bottom of the screen. Same thing happens for every other word in that paragraph on that page. This is in medium font. I change to small font and it works fine! I'm not sure if this is a glitch with the book or the reader. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Last edited by amujee; 02-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Why don't you try another book to find out if its the book or the reader?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's probably a formatting problem with the specific book (or something about it that the russified firmware doesn't play nice with is possible too). I downloaded the free version from Kindle and had Calibre convert it for use on my Sony 350 and I have no problem with the dictionary and different font sizes. It was just a mass import of books to the Sony, so I used no special settings at all.

If you haven't downloaded from Amazon before, you don't need a Kindle to do it, just install their free version for the PC and you can download anything with it. There's obviously no DRM on the book since Calibre didn't have any problems converting it to epub.

Edit: You might also try converting the book with Calibre from epub to epub and see if that alone doesn't correct the problem.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-19-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Why don't you try another book to find out if its the book or the reader?
The 350 is my first reader and this is only the second book I've read. I didn't have any problems with the first book which was purchased.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
amujee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It's probably a formatting problem with the specific book (or something about it that the russified firmware doesn't play nice with is possible too). I downloaded the free version from Kindle and had Calibre convert it for use on my Sony 350 and I have no problem with the dictionary and different font sizes. It was just a mass import of books to the Sony, so I used no special settings at all.
Actually, I already had that version downloaded and converted. I forget why I went with this free epub version instead.

It's an odd glitch nonetheless. I'll just note if it happens again on another book.
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are a zillion free books out there and a million here in our own library. Just grab one of those. If you are looking for free books you may want to go to inkmesh and have a look there. Also there is the Singapore Library that is for free, where you can check out books for your Sony. When enrolling for the Singapore Library do not wait for their confirmation email, it will never come. Just create your account, sign in and enjoy!

As for asking if you may have a glitch in the Russian hack ask best over here.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Why the hassle? All of his books are in our Library. In epub, lrf etc.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some experimenting with the epub version from here and I have no problem with that file either. If this is the one you downloaded, possibly the download was corrupted and a new copy will fix it, or else it might be something odd about the russified software (I only have the default Sony firmware and change fonts using CSS through Calibre).

While this copy from here is a super large file size (6084KB vs 291KB for my previous epub), it is very nice looking, I can see why you might have wanted to swap it. It has some images throughout and also an index. For myself though, since I prefer such a dark contrast for my text because of my horrid eyesight, the images don't really show any detail, and I don't really care if I have an index or not since (as far as I'm aware anyway) you can't click on them from the reader and pop to the correct page, I much prefer the smaller epub version I had, the text is identical.

But it has to be either corrupted download for you, or the russified firmware.

Edit, Poppaea snuck in a post while I was typing!
Quote:
Why the hassle? All of his books are in our Library. In epub, lrf etc.
I didn't know about all the free books here on the forum at first and I already had the free version from Kindle from even before I purchased my ereader, so just went with what I had. And as I discovered from my experimenting with it, I still prefer the smaller sized file.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
amujee
Connoisseur

Quote:
There are a zillion free books out there and a million here in our own library. Just grab one of those.
Sorry, I stated the wrong sub-forum in my original post.
That's where I got the book from.

I put the kindle version back on and I remembered why I didn't like it. It shows gibberish in front of some words and numbers. And as Ripplinger mentioned, the free one from here is nicer. I'll try downloading it again.

Last edited by amujee; 02-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Searching that forum brings me to the same epub that I downloaded, so it appears I tested the same one you downloaded.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
amujee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Searching that forum brings me to the same epub that I downloaded, so it appears I tested the same one you downloaded.
Well I'm stumped. I went back and downloaded the book again. Problem still there. I reflashed back to normal firmware. No change.

As far as I can tell, it's limited to that particular paragraph on that particular page in medium font size.

Last edited by amujee; 02-19-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I'm stumped as well then if you even went back to default firmware. While I had the book loaded on the reader, I even searched for "quinsy" and found it just to test that specific word since everything else was working, so I'm certain I was using the dictionary in the same paragraph as you're having the problem.

Hopefully it'll never happen again or someone else can come up with some reason.

Also, the Kindle version when converted by Calibre doesn't have any odd formatting issues at all, no weird gibberish anywhere that I've found yet.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-19-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is there some way to enlarge the font size in the dictionary definitions? it's awfully small.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

As far as I know, no. But if you touch the top left icon of the tiny definition, it will open a full page with much easier to read text.