Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I've been messing around with the Android NOOK app a lot lately and you can get to the books using that. The default location ("/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books") requires root access. If you tell NOOK to store the books on the SD Card (Settings->Download & Storage), then they can be retrieved without root from (usually) "{CARD}/Android/data/bn.ereader/files/Download" where the card path will likely be "/storage/sdcard1" or similar.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #17
Emoto
Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I've been messing around with the Android NOOK app a lot lately and you can get to the books using that. The default location ("/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books") requires root access. If you tell NOOK to store the books on the SD Card (Settings->Download & Storage), then they can be retrieved without root from (usually) "{CARD}/Android/data/bn.ereader/files/Download" where the card path will likely be "/storage/sdcard1" or similar.
Ooh. I'm going to try that. Thanks!
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
That last suggestion does not show any files on my phone.

Last edited by billsfan2; 03-27-2019 at 12:56 AM.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #19
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan2 View Post
That last suggestion does show any files on my phone.
That's not much to go on, but there are a few possibilities.
  1. I assume you're talking about the SD Card. If you're not, you need a rooted phone to see /data/data/*.
  2. Changing the "store to SD Card" setting doesn't move any books that have already been downloaded. Try downloading another book. The cloud graphic on th upper left of the book thumbnail should change to "SD Card". If it says that, then it's somewhere on your device that you can access without root.
  3. Starting with KitKat, Android has become somewhat confused about what exactly "SD Card" means. The directory naming scheme has never been rigidly enforced and there's now the concept of an "emulated" SD Card in the device's main storage. In /storage, you'll likely see a number of subdirectories, possibly including (but not limited to) "sdcard", "sd_card", "sdcard0", "sdcard1" and "emulated". Anything there could be the "SD Card". To make things even more unhelpful, the NOOK app adds the same Android/data/bn.ereader directory structure to each one even if it doesn't use it, so there will be several directories that look right, but don't contain any files. Unfortunately, you have to check them all. Fortunately there shouldn't be more than a handful.
  4. MTP (the protocol used by Windows Explorer) isn't very good about refreshing its cache. If you're browsing files using a desktop window, try rebooting your phone and reconnecting to see if the files appear. I've also had MTP go into the weeds enough that I had to reboot my computer to be able to see some files and that's one reason that I almost always use ADB commands to access my devices.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
Emoto
Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I gave this a shot last night with a Galaxy S4 (which I know is ancient in the cell world, but I am frugal, so am not likey to upgrade so soon.).

I Put the Nook app on there and set the storage for the app to the card via the phone's Application Manager. When my library was viewed on the phone via the app, each book cover thumbnail had an X on it. I found that tapping each cover in turn would cause it to appear to download; the X would turn to a % progress which would disappear at 100.

Then, I set the storage to the card via the Nook app menu. I then hooked it to a desktop via USB and located the folders you mentioned above. Sadly, even with my folder options set to show hidden files, the folders were empty. I set it aside until this morning over coffee.

This morning, I rebooted the phone, and without running the Nook app, connected to the desktop pc again via USB. To my delight, the same folder that was empty last night was now populated with various ePub files!

I have not performed an inventory, but at first glance don't believe that everything in my library showed up in the folder. However, it is possible that all of the books that were purchased from B&N DID show up in the folder. I need to check my order history against what files showed up, to confirm this theory. Does that make sense?
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #21
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Does this method on only work on an Android phone with the B&N app or will it also work on B&N's 16 GB tablet?

Last edited by tas03; 03-28-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Grammar
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote