Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
Steven Van C.
Steven Van C. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma
Kobo Forma problems

Hi everyone, I'm new here!

I hope this will be a thread for the Kobo Forma readers that finds problems with files or everything can help the reading activity of everyone.

I have bought the new Kobo forma last week and I've problems with some CBR files. The e-reader read the PDF files that I put in with Calibre, but if I convert the same PDF in a CBR file (renaming it with Winrar) the Kobo didn't find them even if they are phisically in the device memory.
This is a problem because I'm uploading in my device a lot of comics modified by me, and the CBR files are more little and reactive than the PDF ones.

Anyone can help me? Thank you in advice.

S.V.C.
Steven Van C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
"Renaming with Winrar?" you'll have to be a little.. actually, *way* more specific on what you're doing here, but I suspect this step is where you are doing something horribly wrong.

I don't know, off the top of my head, what tool, if any will directly convert a pdf into a CBZ/CBR. But lacking such a tool, you will need to extract images from the pdf, and then zip those images into a CBZ/CBR.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Steven Van C.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

The process is this:

1. select the images (jpg) extracted from the pdf
2. add to archive with winrar
3. rename the archive form .rar to .cbr and than create it

my PC can read the CBR file created, my Kobo forma doesn't. Why?

In the Web I found everywhere this step process. like this (for create cbr files):

"You will need to install WinRAR and it will add extensions to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer. When right-clicking on the images, you can select “Add to archive..” which will allow you to create either a ZIP file or RAR file. You will then rename the extension of the archive to CBZ or CBR respectively."

Thank you very much in advice.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
disclaimer: I don't use cbr/cbz on kobo myself, so this is a wild guess:

rar isn't rar, there are many different compression and encryption modes available

I don't know what you're supposed to use with CBR and what the Kobo supports here

but perhaps see if winrar (or 7zip / CBZ) have a setting to create more backward-compatible archives, maybe that would work.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-27-2018 at 07:57 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For cbr you need winrar (in Windows, that is), for cbz you can use winzip, 7zip, winrar... But I don't know if there is any problem.

Anyway, I've just created both types now with some photos and I've sent them to my Kobo Clara (last FW, same than Forma), and I've seen both of them. I can try to check tomorrow at Forma, but I doubt there is any difference (perhaps, I'll tell you).

Ah, and the settings are the normal one (nothing touched) for WinRar and 7zip. My only "creativity" has been to create them from the beginning as cbr and cbz.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Steven Van C.

Thank you for the answers.

The fact is strange: if I upload in Kobo Forma a downloaded cbr it works.
If I create a new cbr with winrar (with the process I have described) it doesn't.

I obviously made a mistake with winrar, but I cannot understand what proprely doesn't work. In fact, the PC read the cbr with CDisplayEX perfectly... but I cannot understand what's the difference between a downloaded cbr and the new one made by me.

Thanks for help.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
(Don't use cbr but sometimes there is an issue with files being in directories. Could it be that what you create is in a subdirectory but the ones that work are in the root?)

Just a thought...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As @frostschutz said, I have a sinking suspicion WinRAR will default to RAR 5.0+ archives, which the Kobo *may* not handle. Try an older format (you probably want to make it storage only, with no compression, anyway, so you don't actually need anything fancy).

Can't tell you how to do that, though, because the last time I used WinRAR, I think my computer still had a floppy drive .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Steven Van C.

I've tried with all Winrar's format compression but they doesn't works...
Anyone knows another software for the cbr creation that works with Kobo forma?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Van C. View Post
Anyone knows another software for the cbr creation that works with Kobo forma?
https://kcc.iosphe.re

In the program settings select Kobo
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
Steven Van C.

Semwize you are my savior!!!

The program is free, it create epub files from the winrar cbr format and I can see them in my Kindle forma in a better resolution (even if there's not the Forma format, but the Kobo Glob HD format is perfect!!!). Also the "fast scrolling" of pages works now (it doesn't with simple cbr files).

Thank you very much, now I can also create cbr of any images and then convert them in Epub with this Kindle comic converter: perfect!

Thank you to all of you guys.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
You need to update the firmware on your Forma... The crb/cbz handling has been *greatly* improved... fast page flipping, high quality image resolution rendering, and full edge to edge screen rendering all built in now.

Course, you'll still need compatible archives.. I would suggest 7-zip, and just stick with cbz, for best compatability overall.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Van C. View Post
Thank you for the answers.

The fact is strange: if I upload in Kobo Forma a downloaded cbr it works.
If I create a new cbr with winrar (with the process I have described) it doesn't.

I obviously made a mistake with winrar, but I cannot understand what proprely doesn't work. In fact, the PC read the cbr with CDisplayEX perfectly... but I cannot understand what's the difference between a downloaded cbr and the new one made by me.

Thanks for help.
One possibility is that the images files need to in the root of the archive. Winrar might be adding the directory with the images inside it which does not work.

My daughter is the manga reader in the family and she prefers to use 7Zip and .cbz format. A touch of space saving and she finds 7Zip much friendlier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
Yangshuo
Yangshuo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle voyage
I need Koreader run on Forma, help me!
Yangshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That'll take someone with a Forma, shell access, basic linux CLI chops, and a bit of free time .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote