Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
apricoto
Enthusiast
apricoto began at the beginning.

Device: HP X360 11", Win10
footnote, endnotes, print, epub, pdf

I have a print version of a book with footnotes at the bottom of pages. They use symbols, rather than numbers to refer to text.

I got an epub version of same book. I find that the footnotes and now endnotes, numbered at end of each chapter. As many are aware, footnotes are generally more convenient to reference than endnotes.

Since I want the ability to annotate (apparently Calibre is not yet doing this), I use Calibre to convert the epub to pdf. so...

is there a conversion setting (few of which do i have any clue what they do) that I need to set, to turn the endnotes in epub, back to footnotes in pdf, as they are in the print version of book?
apricoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricoto View Post
I have a print version of a book with footnotes at the bottom of pages. They use symbols, rather than numbers to refer to text.

I got an epub version of same book. I find that the footnotes and now endnotes, numbered at end of each chapter. As many are aware, footnotes are generally more convenient to reference than endnotes.

Since I want the ability to annotate (apparently Calibre is not yet doing this), I use Calibre to convert the epub to pdf. so...

is there a conversion setting (few of which do i have any clue what they do) that I need to set, to turn the endnotes in epub, back to footnotes in pdf, as they are in the print version of book?
Reflowable text makes it hard to place a footnote at the bottom of a fixed page. And as far as I know, what you are asking for does not exist.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
apricoto
Enthusiast

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the response. Perhaps someone has another idea. I guess the conversion doesn't have to be to pdf. I would be willing to try a different format, if there is a setting that will make the endnotes/footnotes more accessible during reading.

Perhaps making the endnote superscript a link to the endnote, with a way to get back to the text. That would do it.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricoto View Post
Yeah, I was afraid that might be the response. Perhaps someone has another idea. I guess the conversion doesn't have to be to pdf. I would be willing to try a different format, if there is a setting that will make the endnotes/footnotes more accessible during reading.

Perhaps making the endnote superscript a link to the endnote, with a way to get back to the text. That would do it.
Forward/backlinks or popups (depending on the renderer support) are the common ways of handling notes in epubs.

The Sigil editor has a couple of plugins for manipulating footnotes. Check the Sigil Plugin Index for FootnoteLinker and FootnoteManipulator.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-11-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Adding comment on Sigil footnote plugins
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Footnotes and end notes both popup in EPUB files in the calibre viewer. And as of calibre 5 the viewer supports annotations as well.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
apricoto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Footnotes and end notes both popup in EPUB files in the calibre viewer. And as of calibre 5 the viewer supports annotations as well.
thanks for the lesson. so they do!! Perfect. I had no idea :-)

version 5. I see 4.22. is 5 ok to install? and if so, d/l form where?

will annotations stay with the epub? or separate file, linked by calibre?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Version 5 is in Beta testing so I would avoid it for regular use.
Best to wait until it is released.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331543
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote