Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Help calibre is seen as an unidentified app in High Sierra

I am not being allow to download Kindle books as side loads so I can place it in my calibre library on MacOS High Sierra. I admit to being new at MacOS. I was not having any issue with Sierra but since upgrading I can not get my books to download and be placed into my calibre library. The books are showing as text files and when I tell it to use calibre instead I get that calibre is not a recognized app from a recognized developer.
Please someone give me some pointers here.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Questions:

1. What is the source (e.g. website, ...) from which you are attempting to download the "Kindle" books?
2. EXACTLY which application are you using to download those Kindle books?
3. "and when I tell it to use calibre instead" ?? what is the "it" you are telling to use calibre.

The macOS, for several versions now, has a component as part of the system security often called "Gatekeeper". This is sort of a firewall designed to prevent rouge applications from being run. Apple only grants "recognized developer" status to those apps sold through their Store and a few other major developers.

It is easy to get Gatekeeper to allow an independent app (e.g. calibre,...), but you need to know the "secret club handshake". Simply attempt to launch the unrecognized app, like a new installation of calibre, and when the message appears leave it on screen, access System Preferences, and select the Security section. There will be an option in the lower part of the Security panel to allow the unrecognized app. The app will then launch properly with no error or warning. You will often find that this needs to be repeated each time you upgrade the app. In my experience (up through Sierra 10.12.x) you need to do this with the main calibre app first to allow the satellite apps (Editor, ebook-viewer, ...) to function.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well I downloaded Google Chrome and it worked for me. Not sure why Safari is converting it and maybe at some point I will figure it out. But for now I am happy to download it with chrome.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote