Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #31
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga438 View Post
I think the id="ftn..." should be positioned after the <a
<p class="note"><a id="ftn1" class="noteSymbol" href="../Text…
Apparently, the Sigil Links report tool will only find targets, if the target is an <a> tag. IMHO, this is a Sigil limitation, since other tags can have id attributes, too.

You can easily test this by checking your epub with EPUBCheck.

If using the Links report tool is important to you could use a regular expression to move the id attribute from the <p> tag to the <a> tag.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #32
beluga438
beluga438 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Muse
Thank you for your answer.

Yes reports are important for me as I make Epubs with lots of notes.
Report is an easy way to check if all links are Ok.
I have now created a new Saved research :
Find : <p class="note" id="ftn(.*?)"><a class="noteSymbol"
Replace : <p class="note"><a id="ftn\1" class="noteSymbol"

Thank you
beluga438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I will look into fixing reports to look for id tags on non-anchors as well sometime before our next release.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 AM   #34
beluga438

Thank you for your answers

Atn Doitsu :

When links are created "manually" in Sigil, they look like :
<p class="note"><a id="ftn1" class="noteSymbol" href="../Text…

( the id="ftn…" after the <a )

Don't you think it could be a good thing that Footnote linker puts the id in the same position as when it is done manually ?

Thank you
Old 04-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I will look into fixing reports to look for id tags on non-anchors as well sometime before our next release.
Thanks for looking into this! This'll make the Links report even more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga438 View Post
Don't you think it could be a good thing that Footnote linker puts the id in the same position as when it is done manually ?
No.

Also, changing this behavior might break other code. Since you can easily fix this "problem" with a regular expression, I won't update the plugin.

BTW, some epub3 apps, e.g. iBooks, will look for <aside>, <div> or <p> tags with an id attribute and won't find footnote definitions and/or won't display them as popup footnotes if the id attribute is added to an <a> tag.

Note that there's another Sigil footnote plugin, Easy Footnote Insertion, which might work better for you.
Advert
Old 04-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #36
beluga438

Hi Doitsu,
I understand.
Thank you for your answer
Old 02-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #37
thymesnewroman
Enthusiast
thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma
All notes of ebook mistakenly link to the book's cover. What's best way to fix?

Hello there.

I have no experience with editing ebooks. I am really just a reader. but there's an ebook where all the links to the end-of-chapter notes just go to the book's cover. So I would like to fix it, especiallly because this book is heavily noted.

In Sigil's preview, the text looks like:

Code:
absolute power of the state.”14 This is incorrect

In Sigil's editor window, it looks like:

Code:
 absolute power of the state.”</span><a class="S-T1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor22"><span class="S-T6">14</span></a> <span class="S-T1">This is incorrect
the next noted part looks like this in the preview
Code:
and many others after him have taught us.15 Rome can
and like this in the Editor view

Code:
and many others after him have taught us.</span><a class="S-T1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor23"><span class="S-T6">15</span></a> <span class="S-T1">Rome
What's the best way to fix ALL the notes in this 4-volume work? In the first volume alone, I'm giving a rough approximation of about 500 notes, scattered from index_split_004.xhtml through toindex_split_025.xhtml.
thymesnewroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #38
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymesnewroman View Post
What's the best way to fix ALL the notes in this 4-volume work?
If the 4 volumes are 4 separate epubs, you shoud be able to use my plugin.

For the plugin to work, all footnote links and definitions must have unique class attributes. In your case you'll also need to remove the existing broken footnote definition links.

You'll need to use a regular expression search to change:

Code:
<a class="S-T1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor22"><span class="S-T6">14</span></a>
to
Code:
<a class="noteanchor">14</a>
You'll also need to remove broken backlinks from footnote definitions.

They should look like this:

Code:
<p class="note">14. Footnote definition</p>
Finally, you'll also need to right-click the endnotes file and select Add Semantics... > Notes/Footnotes.

If the number of footnote links matches the number of footnote definitions, the plugin should automatically link them.

Make sure to create a backup copy, before you implement these changes!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #39
thymesnewroman
Enthusiast
thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thymesnewroman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If the 4 volumes are 4 separate epubs, you shoud be able to use my plugin.
Yes, each volume is its own epub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Finally, you'll also need to right-click the endnotes file and select Add Semantics... > Notes/Footnotes.
There isn't a separate endnotes file. The notes appear at the end of every chapter, where the chapter is named index_split_006.xhtml, index_split_007.xhtml and so on. (This is in contrast to the print edition, which have footnotes, appearing at the bottom of the page).

Note #14, at the end of chapter 1, looks like this in the Preview window:
Code:
14 P. Lobstein, Einleitung in die Evangelische Dogmatik (Freiburg, 1897), 23.
And looks like this in the Editor window:
Code:
  <p class="P-P14"><span class="S-T1" id="anchor129"></span><a class="S-T1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor60"><span class="S-T6">14</span></a> <span class="S-T1">P. Lobstein,</span> <span class="S-T5">Einleitung in die Evangelische Dogmatik</span> <span class="S-T1">(Freiburg, 1897), 23.</span> </p>
Note #15 looks like this in the Preview:
Code:
15 Friedrich Schleiermacher, Die Christliche Sitte nach dem Grundsazen der evangelischen Kirche dargestellt (Berlin: G. Reimer, 1884), 5 [Introduction to Christian Ethics, trans. John Shelley (Nashville: Abingdon, 1989)]; Richard Rothe, Zur Dogmatik (Gotha: Perthes, 1869), 10; Alexander Schweizer, Die Glaubenslehre der evangelisch-reformirten Kirche (Zurich: Orell, Fussli, 1847), I, 23.
and looks like this in the Editor window:

Code:
<p class="P-P14"><span class="S-T1" id="anchor130"></span><a class="S-T1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor61"><span class="S-T6">15</span></a> <span class="S-T1">Friedrich Schleiermacher,</span> <span class="S-T5">Die Christliche Sitte nach dem Grundsazen der evangelischen Kirche dargestellt</span> <span class="S-T1">(Berlin: G. Reimer, 1884), 5 [</span><span class="S-T5">Introduction to Christian Ethics</span><span class="S-T1">, trans. John Shelley (Nashville: Abingdon, 1989)]; Richard Rothe,</span> <span class="S-T5">Zur Dogmatik</span> <span class="S-T1">(Gotha: Perthes, 1869), 10; Alexander Schweizer,</span> <span class="S-T5">Die Glaubenslehre der evangelisch-reformirten Kirche</span> <span class="S-T1">(Zurich: Orell, Fussli, 1847), I, 23.</span> </p>
thymesnewroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #40
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymesnewroman View Post
There isn't a separate endnotes file. The notes appear at the end of every chapter, where the chapter is named index_split_006.xhtml, index_split_007.xhtml and so on.
Unfortunately, you can't use the FootnoteLinker plugin, because it doesn't work with end of chapter footnote definitions.

You might want to post your question in the general epub forum.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #41
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi Doitsu,
I was referred to your plugin by DNSB when I created a thread asking what to do with footnotes that were converted from "true PDF" (text can be highlighted) to MS Word 2016 Docx on the way to ePub. (I'm using MS Word as middleman as that's what's suggested by Willus at https://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml).

Anyway, does your plugin help me with footnotes that, in MS Word 2016, are differentiated from the main body by its smaller font size and by beginning with a number and then a period and then a space and then the footnote text itself (for example --> 2. Bob Smith blah blah blah).

If not, do you have any suggestions?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #42
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Anyway, does your plugin help me with footnotes that, in MS Word 2016, are differentiated from the main body by its smaller font size and by beginning with a number and then a period and then a space and then the footnote text itself (for example --> 2. Bob Smith blah blah blah).
Not really, unless the footnote definition text has a unique HTML class attribute.
(I've attached a sample epub file to the first post.)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #43
MyDK
MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Doitsu
This is a great plugin - thank you so much
Works fine with Sigil v.0.9.10.
MyDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #44
ElTigreCS
ElTigreCS began at the beginning.

Device: Poketbook InkPad 2, Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
Hi,

I was so happy when I found this plugin. I has been searching around the web how automatically generate links to endnotes and backlinks to footnote anchors. So, first of all, many thank to developer(s) and contributors!

I just bought some ebooks that have this problem: endnotes are not linked! I found footnote anchors with and endnote defintions and replace defaults when started the plugin. But I get the following error (I tried with 2 ebooks, but the same problem).

Quote:
The number of footnote anchors and footnote definitions don't match!
Don't save the file!!!
Footnote anchors: 231
Footnote definitions: 435
ElTigreCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #45
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigreCS View Post
But I get the following error (I tried with 2 ebooks, but the same problem).
The plugin only works if footnote links and footnote definitions have unique class attributes. Since the plugin detected more footnote definitions than footnote links, some paragraphs that aren't footnote definitions must have the same class attribute as footnote definitions.