Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
DeckleEdge
DeckleEdge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If I never owned a Nook, can I transfer Nook books to Kindle?

Hi all. I'm new here but this looks like a great forum. I have searched the web for answers on this and I keep getting stuck, so I hope no one minds if I dive in with a question.

I have never owned a Nook but I bought about 10 Nook books in the days when you could read them via Nook for PC and later, Nook for the Web. I have one Nook book downloaded on my Windows 7 computer and that is all. The rest, I suppose, are in the cloud. I do have a Windows 8.1 PC as well, if that would help.

Since last summer, I have not been able to read any of my Nook books, some of which I never read at all. What I understand regarding this problem is that Barnes & Noble redesigned their website early in 2015, I think, and some functionality was lost. Since that time, when I click on a book in my "Nook Library" (through BN.com's website), I am redirected to the catalog page listing the books for sale. I have the option of "adding them to my bag" and pay for them (again) and that is all. Previously, it would open my book for me.

In the meantime, I bought my first e-reader, a Kindle Paperwhite. I chose this in part because I lost faith in Barnes & Noble and the Nook after the trouble I've been through with this issue. Ideally, I would like to transfer all my purchased and free Nook books to my Kindle or PC, and I have downloaded Calibre to assist with this, but I am not sure whether I can access the Nook books in the first place or how to do so.

Any help you can offer -- or if moving this thread to a different subforum would be better -- I would greatly appreciate it.

DeckleEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The easiest way to access them would be to download and install an old copy of Nook for PC or Nook Study. Both programs still work and are able to download books for the account they're registered to.

They can also be read in those programs, however if you're wanting to be able to read them on your PW a thing, or two, will need to take place. The books will need to be converted to a Kindle format (I recommend KF*/AZW3) which can be done with Calibre or Kindle Previewer (KindleGen). If the books have DRM however that will need to be removed before they can be converted. For DRM removal you'd want to look at Apprentice Alf's blog as the particulars can't be discussed here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 AM   #3
DeckleEdge
DeckleEdge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the help, AnemicOak.

Short story: I got it working and can read my ebooks.

Long story:
I have my old version of Nook for PC still on my Windows 7 laptop, but it only opens the one book I ever downloaded. I couldn't find a way out of that book to any kind of library userface. Probably a lack of tech savvy on my part. But I downloaded a new version onto my 8.1 laptop and saw my whole library, opened a book I hadn't previously read, etc. I look forward to finding some time to read them.

I still haven't looked into what it will take to get them on my Kindle, but since I'm not talking about that many books, I may be satisfied with reading them on my PC.

Is it just my trouble with the Nook clouding my understanding, or can ebooks not easily be "owned" (i.e. kept as files on personal hard drives)? I'd like to figure this out for my Amazon purchases, mostly.
DeckleEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckleEdge View Post
Is it just my trouble with the Nook clouding my understanding, or can ebooks not easily be "owned" (i.e. kept as files on personal hard drives)? I'd like to figure this out for my Amazon purchases, mostly.
To ensure future access to your ebooks you need to have the book downloaded as a file, and have that file be free from DRM. You seem to have the first half sorted for your nook books. For the second half, see Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote