Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #421
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Do the black bar thingies go away on the 6 inch? The one on top that has the battery, time and such and the bottom with the back, home buttons.
On my Old Fire HD they both stay there while in Scribd which was really annoying to me. One of the reasons I got the Nexus. Just wondering if the newer fires fixed that issue. With 3.6.2 of course. As its been said, I too can't use the current new 3.7 version due to margins and hyphenation.
Ok, now that you mention it, yes the black bars are there. The top one is very narrow. The bottom is a bit larger. I hadn't noticed them before. Could be there is a setting to make them go away, but honestly, it doesn't concern me.

Yes I do have the Google Play version of 3.6.2.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #422
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh they have some Jonathan Maberry books too....another reason to keep Scribd. My screen protector will be here today, so that should cut down on the shine of the glass. And since I don't have to worry about auto updates, I'm happy to use it on my Fire 6!
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #423
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, now that you mention it, yes the black bars are there. The top one is very narrow. The bottom is a bit larger. I hadn't noticed them before. Could be there is a setting to make them go away, but honestly, it doesn't concern me.

So is it just the black bars, or do you also have all the displays that are in the bars. Its not so much the black bars that bother me on my Fire 8.9, its all the icons like battery, time, home and all that is distracting to me. I was hoping they would dim down to black in the newer fires. So all that's left are the black bars, which blend into the frame.

Glad you like reading on it though. I was wondering how 6 inch would work on that. The size intrigues me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #424
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So is it just the black bars, or do you also have all the displays that are in the bars. Its not so much the black bars that bother me on my Fire 8.9, its all the icons like battery, time, home and all that is distracting to me. I was hoping they would dim down to black in the newer fires. So all that's left are the black bars, which blend into the frame.

Glad you like reading on it though. I was wondering how 6 inch would work on that. The size intrigues me.
Yes, at the top is the time etc, but that is not distracting. At the bottom, the home and 2 other icons are larger, and they would probably distract you. But like Blossom said, we should be getting the immersion reading update soon, as this OS is based off of KitKat. So the bars should go away, then.

The size is PERFECT for reading. I couldn't be happier with the size. I do need my grippy, which won't ship til Oct 30, darn it. It's slightly slippery. Also a longer battery life would be nice (specs say about 8 hours). I'll be getting a Poetic GraphGrip. I'll probably get the black. I have a clear X design TPU case on order, which I will use until my girls get their Fire 6.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #425
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

This will change once we get the new update. It will be true full screen.

Quote:
- Full-Screen Immersive Mode
Apps and games in immersive mode now fill the entire screen for a more engrossing experience, with navigation controls only a swipe away.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #426
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That is good news for Fire owners reading on the Scribd app. Well, newer fires that is. I am sure my 2012 8.9 isn't going to get that update, I don't expect it. Its too big to read on anyway.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #427
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That is good news for Fire owners reading on the Scribd app. Well, newer fires that is. I am sure my 2012 8.9 isn't going to get that update, I don't expect it. Its too big to read on anyway.
It's only for 2013 and 2014 Fires will get Sangria which is based off of KitKat which has Immersion Mode. For the first time Amazon is upgrading previous year model to a whole new operating system.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #428
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
This weekend I tried an audiobook from scribd and was so surprised, the last time I had heard one was several years ago and it had that mechanized voice, but this one was narrated and so much better, I got hooked, so I have a couple of questions to those of you that use the aubiobooks in scribd.

To hear an audiobook you have to be connected to the internet?

Is it possible to download them to a tablet and ear them without the wifi connection on?
My wifi sometimes is sketchy and when I’m in the kitchen it fails, and I would love to put an audiobook while I’m cooking or doing other chores.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #429
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
This weekend I tried an audiobook from scribd and was so surprised, the last time I had heard one was several years ago and it had that mechanized voice, but this one was narrated and so much better, I got hooked, so I have a couple of questions to those of you that use the aubiobooks in scribd.

To hear an audiobook you have to be connected to the internet?

Is it possible to download them to a tablet and ear them without the wifi connection on?
My wifi sometimes is sketchy and when I’m in the kitchen it fails, and I would love to put an audiobook while I’m cooking or doing other chores.
Yes, you can download audiobooks for offline playback. See this thread in the audiobook forum for issues some people are experiencing:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #430
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Thank's, had'nt seen that thread.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote