Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #466
maravic
maravic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I was thinking about the widget (CC BOOK GRID) not the main window. In widget configuration I can set only the number of last opened books.

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI VNS-L21 przy użyciu Tapatalka
maravic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #467
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@chaley, I think maravic is referring to one of the CC Home screen widgets, not the app itself.

Edit: Too slow!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #468
maravic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@chaley, I think maravic is referring to one of the CC Home screen widgets, not the app itself.

Exactly

Old 01-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #469
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maravic View Post
I was thinking about the widget (CC BOOK GRID) not the main window. In widget configuration I can set only the number of last opened books.

No. The four widgets are what you get.

FWIW: for various reasons the "grid widget" is actually a horizontal fixed size container list widget. It is the only CC widget that does not scroll, which I needed to do to make sizing the covers work properly.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #470
maravic

OK, thx for answer, I'm using grid widget as ebook launcher on my home screen (inkbook with smart launcher 3), it works well but the second row will make my configuration more clear and legible.

Advert
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #471
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maravic View Post
OK, thx for answer, I'm using grid widget as ebook launcher on my home screen (inkbook with smart launcher 3), it works well but the second row will make my configuration more clear and legible.

Again FWIW: I have found the book list widget to be much better on e-ink devices (I have 2 of them). Covers on e-ink are often difficult to see, so having the title, author and series next to them helps (me) a lot. And it scrolls...
Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #472
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are talking about opening the grouping drawer then no, changing this is way too hard.
This looks terrible on eInk.
Next: on eInk I donot see "settings" - the three points in the right upper corner.
I can handle it
a - starting CC and not hiding this message
b - not installing cloud server and connecting to cloud.

Cloud: it would be nice installing Mega.nz - 50 GB space!
Google drive (16 GB doesnt work correctly), One Drive is too small, Dropbox too
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #473
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Next: on eInk I donot see "settings" - the three points in the right upper corner.
I can handle it

Does your device have a 4th Android Menu button (horizontal bars) at the bottom?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #474
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does your device have a 4th Android Menu button (horizontal bars) at the bottom?
No - a picture of the screen:
Moderator Notice
Turned picture into an attachment to avoid violating forum rules
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tolino.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	153914  

Last edited by chaley; 01-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #475
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I can handle it

I have two e-ink devices, an Afterglow 2 and an Energi Systems eReader Pro +. Opening the grouping drawer using the icon on the action bar looks fine on both of them, with the drawer opening in a single e-ink repaint. Using the flashing grouping drawer buttons is much worse, but you should turn those buttons off on an e-ink device. Swiping to open also looks worse than tapping the icon. The attached screen capture from my Afterglow 2 shows the icon I am talking about.

The fact that your device doesn't have a soft or hard menu button means that the custom build you are using is defective. According to the Android API, a menu button *must* be there somewhere.

As for mega cloud support, that won't happen. CC requires that the cloud vendor provide an HTML/HTTP API, which apparently mega does not. CC also requires the vendor to support OAUTH2, which also is not supported.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	153916  
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #476
joeblowma
joeblowma began at the beginning.

Device: LG G Pad III 8.0
Hopefully this wish isn't asking for tons of work making it have a better chance of existing... in the 'books with missing files' area would it be sane to have a 'mark all missing as read' in the menu? Or 'mark all missing as...' that presents a quick dialog with the 3 possibilities as buttons?

The main issue I have that causes me to ask for this, is when you have a dozen or so books that you've deleted via a reader as they are read, going into each book's view and marking them as read is a bit of a pain (in my case mainly due to the dropdown being too small to manipulate quickly even on an 8 inch screen.)

An alternate idea that would serve in my case would be to dispose of the read dropdown and put 3 buttons in a line ([o yes] [x no] [x none]) the size of the current dropdown's height, with the current one highlighted or radio buttoned making it easier to finger mash quickly.

I recently properly learned search in calibre (not #read:yes) so at least I no longer have to sync twice (before and after remove deleted files to tag as read.) This last bit would be icing on the cake for me at this point Either way, thanks for CC!
joeblowma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #477
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblowma View Post
Hopefully this wish isn't asking for tons of work making it have a better chance of existing... in the 'books with missing files' area would it be sane to have a 'mark all missing as read' in the menu? Or 'mark all missing as...' that presents a quick dialog with the 3 possibilities as buttons?
Moderator Notice
Moved to new thread [Android] Change "Is Read" for books with missing files? for discussion
Old 01-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #478
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
Okay, while we were discussing setting books read, and how to make it actually usable in large screens with small fonts, I recalled another problem I had doing that.

My ereader shuts down when idle. This is not as large a problem as it could be...on startup, it launches CC and then Cool Reader, and Cool Reader (Like most readers) remembers what book I was in. That all is fine.

And then I finish my book up, exit, ready to mark it read...and of course it's not there anymore. I have to go find it in CC.

Now, I'm aware there's been some discussion on why CC doesn't return to where you leave it, but let's pretend that's off the table. There's just as good a solution: The list that Calibre is already keeping of the last X books you read. I know it keeps that, because it puts it in the widget.

Can we get that list, or the last 100 or so if the list is long, and a way to sort it? Do we already *have* that list somewhere?

It would make it easy to glance at and say 'What books did I forget to mark read?'.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #479
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTC View Post
Can we get that list, or the last 100 or so if the list is long, and a way to sort it? Do we already *have* that list somewhere?
Yes, we have this feature. From the main Book list/grid page click on the three dot option menu and select Settings. In Settings go to Sorting. Now choose the Group/sort on custom columns and choose Date read and click OK. Now wait for CC to go through your on-device library and update the database. Once the database is updated Date read will be an option in the sort menu.

This will show you the same last read books as the widget.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #480
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTC View Post
...And then I finish my book up, exit, ready to mark it read...and of course it's not there anymore. I have to go find it in CC.

Now, I'm aware there's been some discussion on why CC doesn't return to where you leave it, but let's pretend that's off the table. There's just as good a solution: The list that Calibre is already keeping of the last X books you read. I know it keeps that, because it puts it in the widget.

It would make it easy to glance at and say 'What books did I forget to mark read?'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Yes, we have this feature. From the main Book list/grid page click on the three dot option menu and select Settings. In Settings go to Sorting. Now choose the Group/sort on custom columns and choose Date read and click OK. Now wait for CC to go through your on-device library and update the database. Once the database is updated Date read will be an option in the sort menu.

This will show you the same last read books as the widget.
Showing that list isn't feasible without significant change. The problem is that the list of books read is not stored in the database. Why? To avoid making the widgets open the database on every update (CC restart, home page change, etc). That is way too expensive. One consequence: CC can't sort or select on the list because those operations are database-driven.

One can get very close to seeing a recently-read list without the custom column method that DoctorOhh described. CC permits sorting on its internal Date Read, which is the value pushed into the custom column. I suspect that DoctorOhh removed that sort from the sort menu years ago and forgot about it.

To make either technique (custom column or internal data) work properly you need to go to CC's Settings / Marking Books Read and check the box Update Date Read when read. If checked then CC will update that date when you "read" from CC using either Book Details or long press, or when you read from a widget.

If you read from Book Details then you also have the option of sorting by Date Accessed. This sorts the list by the order the books were "seen" in book details. This sort does not use the Date Read so does not require changing the Update Date Read setting. It also does not take reading via long-press or from a widget into consideration.

Both sorts are remembered across restarts.