Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #436
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieWiccan View Post
How about a way to delete more than 1 book at a time w/o having to use the computer?

This is an idea that has come up before. Unfortunately it is more complicated than it sounds. I would need to invent a selection mechanism for just this purpose, complicating the UI and the app, and perhaps introducing other confusion.

There is a sideways method available to do this. If your book files are named in a way that lets you identify the books then you can use a file manager on your device to delete the files. When done, start CC and go to "Books with missing files" (in the 3-dots menu). It will show you the books with the files you just deleted. Choose "Delete All" and CC will delete all those books from CC's database.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #437
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur
HippieWiccan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE
Thank you!
HippieWiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #438
fanficdude1
fanficdude1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Search epub summary

I can do a full search to find a phrase in the summary of an epub, but having that field included in a simple search would be much faster.
fanficdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #439
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficdude1 View Post
I can do a full search to find a phrase in the summary of an epub, but having that field included in a simple search would be much faster.
Unfortunately the summary (I think these are the calibre "comments") are stored in a way that makes using them in simple search close to impossible. The time it would take to extract the comments and then search them would be the same as when doing a full search.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #440
botmtl
Enthusiast
botmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel is

Device: none
Congrats and Thank you (not a wish)

(I didnt want to make a new thread so I tought I would just reply to this thread instead).

According to the play store I bought calibre-companion 2 years ago (22 July 2014) and it's one of the apps I use the most. Best 3$ I spent on my phone, by far.

The reason I'm finally popping in to say thank you is that I stumbled on this pcmag "best apps of 2016" article today and wanted to bring it to your attention if you had not seen it.

Ciao.

I am not affiliated with calibre-companion or pc-mag.

Last edited by botmtl; 08-21-2016 at 10:43 AM.
botmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #441
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmtl View Post
(I didnt want to make a new thread so I tought I would just reply to this thread instead).

According to the play store I bought calibre-companion 2 years ago (22 July 2014) and it's one of the apps I use the most. Best 3$ I spent on my phone, by far.

The reason I'm finally popping in to say thank you is that I stumbled on this pcmag "best apps of 2016" article today and wanted to bring it to your attention if you had not seen it.

Ciao.

I am not affiliated with calibre-companion or pc-mag.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #442
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Bravo!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #443
itchyredeyes
itchyredeyes began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
Hi,
I'm using the hierarchical tags and I wish that it would support multiple hierarchical levels and not only one so when choosing the first level the Grouping Drawer will also have the second level items grouped.

I think you should add a reading capability to the app (epub and pdf for me) with last page sync and bookmarks, I would pay for such feature if it will be added as a plugin or a premium version and you can have my money if you will crowdfunded its development.

Edit: Also direct backup of settings and database to Google Drive would be nice.

Last edited by itchyredeyes; 08-24-2016 at 04:16 PM.
itchyredeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 AM   #444
itchyredeyes

Hi, it would nice to get any kind of respone: yes, maybe, hell no.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 AM   #445
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyredeyes View Post
Hi,
I'm using the hierarchical tags and I wish that it would support multiple hierarchical levels and not only one so when choosing the first level the Grouping Drawer will also have the second level items grouped.

I think you should add a reading capability to the app (epub and pdf for me) with last page sync and bookmarks, I would pay for such feature if it will be added as a plugin or a premium version and you can have my money if you will crowdfunded its development.

Edit: Also direct backup of settings and database to Google Drive would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyredeyes View Post
Hi, it would nice to get any kind of respone: yes, maybe, hell no.

Thanks.
Sorry, I forgot...

There are three requests here:
1) fully hierarchical tags
2) a reader app/function
3) backup to google drive

Re 1): this has been requested before, and the answer is still the same: no. Doing this would require a complete redesign of CC's database and data access layer. It would also require a fair amount of reimplementation of the UI. I am not up for doing either.

Re 2): here the answer is "maybe". I personally don't see the point in it because there are so many reader apps that already solve the problem. In addition, building a reader that people like is hard. For evidence, look for discussions about how readers handle CSS. There is no consensus at all. All that said, my son (and partner) has looked at this, and even built a prototype. He may decide to go ahead once CC for iOS is going well. At that point the possibility of cross platform (iOS/Android) sync may override the negatives. It will be up to him.

Re 3): you can do this today with the app Autosync Google Drive. Just tell CC to put the backup file into a synced folder. The same company offers an app for Dropbox (Dropsync), OneDrive, and Box. I use Dropsync. Given that someone else solves the problem with an app I know works well, I don't want to sign up for the development and maintenance.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #446
itchyredeyes

@chaley

Thanks for answering and for developing CC.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #447
maravic
maravic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Is there a chance to add other cloud support? In particular mega.co.nz?

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI VNS-L21 przy użyciu Tapatalka
maravic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #448
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maravic View Post
Is there a chance to add other cloud support? In particular mega.co.nz?

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI VNS-L21 przy użyciu Tapatalka
No

The problem is that only 20% of CC users use CC Cloud, and almost no one (<= 0.4%) use the lesser-known connections such as Amazon. Trying to support something even less used would demand hours of development but generate near to zero revenue. And that doesn't count the time required to maintain it once it exists.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 AM   #449
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
[Integrating a reader app]: here the answer is "maybe". [...] All that said, my son (and partner) has looked at this, and even built a prototype. He may decide to go ahead once CC for iOS is going well. At that point the possibility of cross platform (iOS/Android) sync may override the negatives. It will be up to him.
I did indeed write a reader app on Android for another project, which opened 'fixed layout' ePubs. These are slightly different to normal ePubs, and behave much more like a PDF than an ePub. Essentially in a fixed-layout ePub, the file specifies where the page-breaks are, and where every word and image goes on the page. Changing the size of the window doesn't change the layout of the text, unlike on a normal ePub where the text would reflow to simply have more words per line. (Fixed-layout is useful when the text in question has many images, diagrams, coloured backgrounds etc which need to all line up correctly, regardless of the screen size.)

I also did the original project for a client who now owns the source code. I'd have to rewrite it to be able to use it.

Making it handle normal ePubs, and redoing enough of the work to avoid IP infringement, would take a few weeks. We'd need to sell a few thousand copies of this add-on to make it worth the effort.

Would that many people be willing to pay extra? I really don't know.

Moderator Notice
Discussion moved to this thread

Last edited by chaley; 09-01-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Add forwarding address
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #450
SMNonMR
SMNonMR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook, and Android. Oh My!
Hello! Thank you so much for all the hard work on CC! It's one of my most used apps.

I would like to request, if possible, some kind of dark or night theme. I very frequently use this app in the evenings and the stark white background can be harsh on the eyes. A dark theme would be much appreciated!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
SMNonMR is offline   Reply With Quote