Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
random43743
random43743 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW + kindle 3
Question [Solved] Add downloaded tags not overwrite existing?

Is there a way to append downloaded tags rather than overwrite existing tags?
I sometimes mass import several books and give them my own tags (i.g. language they are written in), so i dont want them overwritten, but i like to have social metadata tags as well.

Did i miss something or would i have to alter sourcecode? As described in this post: How To: Getting summary metadata and images, not tags, author, title

Thx, mike

Last edited by random43743; 01-10-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Solved
random43743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I thought that adding tags rather than over-writing was the default behavior? That is what seems to happen for me when I download the social metadata. I have calibre set to automatically put in a TODO tag as soon as I add a book to remind me the entry needs checking, and that tag remains until I manually remove it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I thought that adding tags rather than over-writing was the default behavior? That is what seems to happen for me when I download the social metadata. I have calibre set to automatically put in a TODO tag as soon as I add a book to remind me the entry needs checking, and that tag remains until I manually remove it.
I was about to say ditto, but I just checked and social metadata tags downloaded overwrote the ones I already had on there. I never noticed it before because the first few times I tried the social data feature I got some really weird tags so I haven't used it since.

I can definitely see why this would be a problem. In my case, when I import files they automatically get tagged with "needupdate", and I need that tag to stay there until I'm done working with the file information.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
random43743

Basically i have the same need as you two above.

On one hand i sometimes autotag on import a certain quality of an ebook like i said the language the book is written in or the country of the authors.

On the other hand i give my own verified tags to my books for example #Crime or #Thriller instead of Crime or Thriller. So i know i have given those myself and the genre i like the book to be in, is as i want it. And yes some of the social metadata tags are extremely weired.

Still i like to get an idea how other people tagged a book, especially when i don't have any insights into the book at all. Most of all i definitely don't want my own tags overwritten. So until now i copy and paste 'em back after download, which is painfully laborious.

So is there someone who knows if there is a tweak? I have looked at the post i mentioned above and i must say i m not a programmer. I do program a function or other in VBA for my spreadsheets, but that s about it. So i am not too happy about altering sourcecode. If there is no alternative maybe someone could give me a little help there? I had a look at metadata_single.py and it is easy to find the lines for the tags, but i am not sure how i must alter those.

At line 775 fetch_metadata starts:
Code:

def fetch_metadata(self):
And line 818 gives the code to add the tags (At least that's what i think):
Code:

if book.tags:
                            self.tags.setText(', '.join(book.tags))
I don't think it can be too hard to alter the line so that the tags are added rather than overwritten.

Last edited by random43743; 01-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, when you download the metadata for a single book, it will overwrite the existing tags, the idea being that you have a chance to review and correct the downloaded tags, but when you do a bulk download it will merge rather than overwrite.

I would suggest you adjust your workflow. Download metadata before doing manual tagging.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
random43743

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC, ...
IIRC ?

Quote:
I would suggest you adjust your workflow.
Point taken and rightly so!

Quote:
...but when you do a bulk download it will merge rather than overwrite.
Now this is exactly what i needed to know and knowing this i am happy to "adjust my workflow". Thank you very much for your answer, that is helping a lot!

Also i do have to say that calibre is a wonderful useful tool, you have created this program very well. again thank you very much!!!

mike
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random43743 View Post
IIRC ?
If I Recall Correctly
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata download, tags