Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I did contact Amazon Customer Support. It appears, based on accent, they have now outsourced their customer service to a company in India. They were no help. In fact, he just ticked me off more by telling me that 250 free songs is equivalent to 5 GB. Come on, 250 songs isn't even close to 5 GB.

Just to be clear. It was Amazon that was encouraging its customers to upload their “entire music collection”. However, after spending more than a year enticing customers to upload their music, Amazon pulls the rug out and starts demanding payment for access to the songs. Sorry, but that ain't right. This is why there are laws about advertising something for free, or for a very low price, and then not making it available and switching out the advertised product for a more expensive product. To see Amazon do this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I've also sent the following letter to Amazon Customer support.

Quote:
This is just a customer note voicing my dissatisfaction with Amazon. Writing a note like this is not something I normally do, but I have always liked the service I have received from Amazon, so I figured I owed you the courtesy of telling you why I am taking my business to one of your competitors.

About a month ago I uploaded all of my music to the Amazon Cloud Player. I was told 5 Gig would be available for free, and that any music I purchased from Amazon would not count towards the 5GB limit. This was great, because I only had about 5GB of music that wasn't purchased from Amazon, and I now purchased ALL of my music from Amazon.

Unfortunately, Amazon decided to change the terms of this agreement shortly after I had uploaded all my music. Now, I can only store 250 songs (I have about 2000). I feel like I was given a "bait & switch". Amazon could have changed the terms of the Cloud Player while grandfathering in current customers using the service, but Amazon didn't. I either pay or I lose access to my songs. I have to say that I do not have a warm feeling about storing ANYTHING in the cloud with Amazon. What is to stop Amazon from in the future charging to store files that were purchased through Amazon? The answer is nothing, and now I no longer trust Amazon.

I have Google's Galaxy Nexus phone. I have decided to use Google's service to store my music, and all my future music purchases will now be through Google. I'm sure I'm not the only one of your customers that has made this decision, but at least I have taken the time to tell you why you are loosing my business as a music purchaser.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Just to be clear. It was Amazon that was encouraging its customers to upload their “entire music collection”. However, after spending more than a year enticing customers to upload their music, Amazon pulls the rug out and starts demanding payment for access to the songs. Sorry, but that ain't right. This is why there are laws about advertising something for free, or for a very low price, and then not making it available and switching out the advertised product for a more expensive product. To see Amazon do this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
So, because the service started out as 5GB for free, Amazon should never be allowed to change it?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
So, because the service started out as 5GB for free, Amazon should never be allowed to change it?
He talked about grandfathering in existing customers.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You have to call their support during business hours to talk to someone in the U.S. Otherwise you will get somewhere else. You still get 5GB free of storage space so the only thing that changed is they separated the music service from the storage service.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #50
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
See post #37
I'm not native to this area. I'm a Midwesterner. Hometown is St Louis, MO.
I've lived in several states in my 30+ years. Hubby was USAF so we moved around alot.
I know all about moving. I was in the Air Force for 24 years and that was a few years ago. Oh no!! Now everyone knows that I am old!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote