Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #106
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
I honestly don't think providing logic will work though. Criminals always have an excuse.
so removing the ads = criminal

jailbreaking to add cool features = non criminal

i totally understand the concepts now. not sure what someone who disables the ads is stealing, but ok.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
not sure what someone who disables the ads is stealing, but ok.
The $40 you saved by choosing the ad-supported version.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #108
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
so removing the ads = criminal

jailbreaking to add cool features = non criminal

i totally understand the concepts now. not sure what someone who disables the ads is stealing, but ok.
If you don't see accepting a discounted offer under false pretenses as being fraudulent, what do you consider fraudulent?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #109
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you don't see accepting a discounted offer under false pretenses as being fraudulent, what do you consider fraudulent?
what false pretense - i had zero knowledge that one could remove the ads or of any other modifications that can be made to these devices prior to joining this forum. i found this website and the answers within and gave them a try, why not. if it's such a problem, ALL hacking threads need to be removed and anyone how tries to post such things banned from the sub-culture for ever and ever. how dare they violate the good graces of the Amazon Corporation.

blame yourselves for having an open community for allowing others to circumvent the ads and add screensavers, fonts, apps, and many other modifications to the device, which violate the terms in the contract you all agreed to.

if this forum didn't exist, my device would still have ads on it. how about them apples.

Last edited by asciibaron; 12-31-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
what false pretense - i had zero knowledge that one could remove the ads or of any other modifications that can be made to these devices prior to joining this forum. i found this website and the answers within and gave them a try, why not. if it's such a problem, ALL hacking threads need to be removed and anyone how tries to post such things banned from the sub-culture for ever and ever. how dare they violate the good graces of the Amazon Corporation.

blame yourselves for having an open community for allowing others to circumvent the ads and add screensavers, fonts, apps, and many other modifications to the device, which violate the terms in the contract you all agreed to.

if this forum didn't exist, my device would still have ads on it. how about them apples.
You would surely accept that there is an ethical difference between, say, jailbreaking your Kindle, which does nobody any harm, and defrauding Amazon out of $30 for removing the ads from your Kindle?

Given that Amazon provide a perfectly legitimate method of removing the ads, if you wish to get of them, why not do so in the proper manner?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This is typical of the attitude of so many people in the first world countries these days. There is no personal responsibility. Every bad thing that you do or that happens to you is someone else's fault.

Frankly, the devil made me do it won't stand up to scrutiny in most places.

How about them apples.

BOb
Old 12-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #112
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
You have personal responsibility for your actions. It's not valid to blame others for your own unethical behaviour.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #113
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:

Got it. You have no intention of actually discussing the matter. You merely want to be sarcastic, blame others & justify theft. Understood.

You could have just said I'm a thief who takes no responsibility for anything I've done and we would have gotten the message all the same.

I like how you claim this forum is at fault for you modifying your device. Information itself isn't harmful, just like a gun isn't harmful. It's what WE do with the information that can be harmful.

You COULD have paid the difference at Amazon and had the ads removed. You CHOSE not to do so. We (and the forum) had nothing to do with your decision. There's nothing wrong with jailbreaking to provide additional functionality, as long as it harms no one else.

Being able to change screensavers or fonts is just fine. There's no one losing money in that scenario.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #114
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that Amazon provide a perfectly legitimate method of removing the ads, if you wish to get of them, why not do so in the proper manner?
because i don't care. i'm tired of corporations trying to extort money from everyone simply because they can. they are offering the reduced price device for a reason, to market and sell in the long term - they know that $30.00 "savings" will reap sales many times more than that $30.00. thanks but no thanks, every minute of my life doesn't need to contain a commercial for some meaningless product. and why should i pay to stop being bombarded, that is pure greed.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #115
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
Being able to change screensavers or fonts is just fine. There's no one losing money in that scenario.
but the almighty terms of service!

i don't care about Amazon's bottom line, i care about mine. i need to put food on my table and pay for my heat and shelter. sure the Kindle is a huge luxury, but it is one that is very worth it considering the world is opens up - a vast array of writing at my fingertips all the time. i can expand my knowledge on variety of subjects or lose myself in a great story at almost any moment when i have a few minutes. that is far more powerful than the internet and therefore a justifiable expenditure.

i have no idea what i have stolen - the inability to of Amazon to market products to me that i will never, ever buy? what have i stolen exactly, i have a receipt for the device.

i'm curious how much of this is sour grapes by those that expended the extra dosh and can't stand it and disguise that feeling of being cheated as moral outrage.

in the end it all boils down to the same thing; i don't care.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #116
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

I learned how to open locked doors with a credit card from reading the "Crimestopper's Textbook" in the old Dick Tracy newspaper strip, but I don't think Chester Gould should be held responsible for the crime statistics. Just because a person can do something, it doesn't follow that they should do it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
because i don't care. i'm tired of corporations trying to extort money from everyone simply because they can. they are offering the reduced price device for a reason, to market and sell in the long term - they know that $30.00 "savings" will reap sales many times more than that $30.00. thanks but no thanks, every minute of my life doesn't need to contain a commercial for some meaningless product. and why should i pay to stop being bombarded, that is pure greed.
Ah yes; the "stickin' it to the man" rationale holds up much better.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-31-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #118
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You have personal responsibility for your actions. It's not valid to blame others for your own unethical behaviour.
i don't see it as unethical, i see it as creative and ingenious. i live in the United States, personal responsibility died 30 years ago.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i live in the United States, personal responsibility died 30 years ago.
First thing you said that made sense. Unfortunately.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #120
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Ah yes; the "stickin' it to the man" rationale holds up much better.
because that is exactly what i wrote.
Closed Thread