Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 01:46 PM   #1
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast
Cyril Gabard began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Covers disappearing in grid view but not in details book view

Hi,

strange things occurs today. My covers are disappearing in grid view but not in details book view. The shelve is stored localy. Windows 10. Calibre worked like a charm for me for 10 years.

I bulk edited the metadatas and ask Calibre to define covers from epub file. It worked a few minutes but they are gone again.

Anybody can help please ?

Last edited by Cyril Gabard; 03-12-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Cyril Gabard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try restarting your computer. And what version of calibre are you on?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 09:55 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Gabard View Post
strange things occurs today. My covers are disappearing in grid view but not in details book view. The shelve is stored localy. Windows 10. Calibre worked like a charm for me for 10 years.
You say the shelve is stored locally. I assume that you mean the library is stored locally. Is the library also being synced to a cloud storage?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for responding ! I use always the last, so its the 7.6.0.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:01 AM   #5
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You say the shelve is stored locally. I assume that you mean the library is stored locally. Is the library also being synced to a cloud storage?
I copy every book in a Dropbox library, so i manage 2 duplicate libraries. I thought it was Dropbox, but when i saw my "local" library impacted, i didnt unterstand
Advert
Old 03-12-2024, 08:06 AM   #6
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not at home right now, i'll try tonight. I suspect one of the kobo (utilities) plugins to cause this issue because it started (i think) when i tries to get reading position sync between Calibre and My Kobo Clara HD. But maybe i'm wrong !
Old 03-13-2024, 08:35 AM   #7
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Yesterday, I restarted the PC. The "local" (on the PC's HD) seems fixed but the Dropbox Library is still broken, most of the covers have disappeared.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:05 AM   #8
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Strange behavior, i noticed that when i bulk edit the metadatas of all my books (in library 1), to repair the missing covers, it does the trick but it affects library 2, making covers disappear... Library 1 is on the HDD and Library 2 (duplicate) is sync via Dropbox sync tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Presse-papier01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1,008.3 KB
ID:	206879  

Last edited by Cyril Gabard; 03-13-2024 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-13-2024, 05:08 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . .
Library 1 is on the HDD and Library 2 (duplicate) is sync via Dropbox sync tool.
And therein lies your problem, see ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

Quote:
If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time.
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:09 AM   #10
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sort of. I will close Calibre before syncing. My point is that i think both libraries are in some way, related
Old 03-14-2024, 05:50 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Sort of. I will close Calibre before syncing. My point is that i think both libraries are in some way, related
Calibre uses caching to improve performance, it's conceivable that some parts of calibre (e.g. Book details) are picking up cached covers for some books in the library you have in your Dropbox account and other parts of calibre (e.g. the grid) aren't.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-14-2024 at 05:53 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM   #12
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre uses caching to improve performance, it's conceivable that some parts of calibre (e.g. Book details) are picking up cached covers for some books in the library you have in your Dropbox account and other parts of calibre (e.g. the grid) aren't.

BR
I think you help me understand. I tried to erase Library caches in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\calibre-cache\gui-thumbnail-cache. Didn't do anything.

I'm scared of erase all things in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\calibre-cache\
Old 03-15-2024, 11:46 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is safe to erase thecache completely as long as calibre is not running.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #14
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

Thank you Kovid Goyal ! I think its a matter of cache because My Dropbox Library accessed through Calibre-web-server doesn't seem to have this issue, neither accessed through Calibre Sync on Android
Old 03-15-2024, 01:27 PM   #15
Cyril Gabard
Enthusiast

i erased the cache completely but i didnt make it. Covers keep on missing... in grid view

Tags
covers disappearing