Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Nova Air C, anyone?

I've just discovered that Onyx has released the Nova Air C, which seems to be an updated Nova 3 Color device. Has anyone here seen much about it? Just curious to see if Onyx has improved the color technology at all...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I hadn't heard about. The website claims it does have a bit better color saturation and contrast (varies based on lights being on or off). Not sure if the color layer actually got better or it just looks better due the switch to an on cell screen which builds in the touch layer. It also has a warm light now.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 12:48 AM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
The screen is still very dark in comparison to BW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG4SNXG59ms (here compared to the Nova Air, which already has worse contrast than Nova 3 due to the added film on top of the screen).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
The screen is still very dark in comparison to BW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG4SNXG59ms (here compared to the Nova Air, which already has worse contrast than Nova 3 due to the added film on top of the screen).
Thanks for sharing the link to that video. Yes, there is a big difference in contrast between the two devices. However, the Nova Air C is still very readable. That said, from my experience with the Nova 3 Color and the Hisense A5Pro C, one needs to use the light or be in a brightly lit environment to use such devices. If one is sensitive to light, it might not be a good investment.

If I did not already have the N3C, I might be tempted to get the Nova Air C as I really appreciate the slight bit of colour which such screens provide. Very useful for reading certain documents like maps.

However, there does not yet seem to be enough improvement in the colour technology to tempt me to trade up. I'll stick with my N3C for the time being while I wait for them to improve the technology and eventually come out with a decent 10.3" colour device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
You all bring up good points.

I have a Nova 2 and a Note Air 2. When I look at both, side by side, with the light completely off, the Nova 2 has juuust a bit better contrast, but the difference is slight. I wouldn't want to use either without the frontlight. I like both devices, but the battery on my Nova doesn't last quite as long as it used to. I could try changing the battery myself, or I could look into a new Nova-like device. Hence my interest in the Nova Air C as well as the Nova Air. Ironically, both have a smaller battery than my Nova 2 does. The Nova 3 might be a better option, but it's not as easy to find. Still, I've never had a color E-Ink device, so my curiosity leads me here. We shall see!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I've never had a color E-Ink device, so my curiosity leads me here. We shall see!
If you don't mind the muted colours of colour eink devices, they are quite nice. I actually quite like the retro look of the muted colours. If I need to see something in vibrant colours, I can always look at it on my computer or on a tablet. However, there are some drawbacks to the current colour screens.

As already mentioned, the screens are significantly darker, which means that you will need to use the frontlight to a greater degree than on a regular eink device. This could cause issues for those with light sensitivity. It also means that it will consume more power which might not be so great when combined with a smaller battery.

The other issue with current colour technology is resolution. While B&W texts will display with 300 DPI, the resolution for colour texts is just 100 DPI. For me that hasn't been a serious concern to date, but others may find the drop in resolution more distracting.

Initially, there was also a significant amount of ghosting with the colour display. However, I believe an update helped to resolve that issue because I don't notice it as much any more and it is easy to select a gesture to refresh the screen.

So long as you are okay with the limitations of a colour screen, they are wonderful. Personally, I feel their benefits outweigh their drawbacks, but a lot of others would disagree.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:04 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
You all bring up good points.

I have a Nova 2 and a Note Air 2. When I look at both, side by side, with the light completely off, the Nova 2 has juuust a bit better contrast, but the difference is slight. I wouldn't want to use either without the frontlight. I like both devices, but the battery on my Nova doesn't last quite as long as it used to. I could try changing the battery myself, or I could look into a new Nova-like device. Hence my interest in the Nova Air C as well as the Nova Air. Ironically, both have a smaller battery than my Nova 2 does. The Nova 3 might be a better option, but it's not as easy to find. Still, I've never had a color E-Ink device, so my curiosity leads me here. We shall see!
According to My Deep Guide the Nova 3 has a bit brighter screen than the Nova 2. I'm not sure if that matters to you, though, as you use your devices with the frontlight on.

I always have the frontlight off, and the Nova 3 is just about as dark as I can manage. Both my PW3 and Hisense A5 Pro are more legible in my usual lighting conditions.

But considering all the drawbacks of colour e-ink: extremely dark screen, low PPI, ghosting, etc., I find it hard to justify buying one instead of just using a tablet. In both cases you're going to have to use the front-/backlight. Might as well use a tablet with a low light setting.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:55 AM   #8
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Thanks for sharing the link to that video. Yes, there is a big difference in contrast between the two devices. However, the Nova Air C is still very readable. That said, from my experience with the Nova 3 Color and the Hisense A5Pro C, one needs to use the light or be in a brightly lit environment to use such devices. If one is sensitive to light, it might not be a good investment.
being those niche expensive devices, i think i would rather test those screens on a relative cheaper smartphone, which is more keen to outdoor usage.
If i have the choice (room light control) i never use nova2 light as it totally ruin the reading experience
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
being those niche expensive devices, i think i would rather test those screens on a relative cheaper smartphone, which is more keen to outdoor usage.
That's exactly what I did. I got the Hisense A5 Pro C first. As I was very much impressed by that device, I then got the Nova 3 Color. I will now wait until some substantial improvements have been made in such technology or until one of my devices becomes no longer functional (which I hope will be a rather long time).

However, I must say that the N3C is very portable. I would certainly take it with me if I were going hiking as it provides greater screen real estate which is advantageous when looking at maps.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
As long as it is so dark without the front light on, I am not interested in a color e-ink device.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #11
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Sounds like a nice device with the latest technology, might be annoying for those who have just bought a 2nd generation color device, when this should already be the third stage of development.

In any case, the review at Good-e-Reader convinced me and I ordered it straight away, 449€

New Touchscreen Technology Improves Contrast of E Ink Screens

Nova Air C vs Nova 3 Color Comparison

Last edited by SleepWithMachine; 04-03-2022 at 06:23 AM.
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:27 AM   #12
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
Well as far as i underderstand it, the third generation of kaleido will be sometime this year with more improvements, but the onyx is only implementing generation 2, so I will wait for third generation kaleido devices
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:22 AM   #13
kandwo
Addict

I would love to see the On-cell touch technology being used on their BW devices. And preferably without shrinking the battery...
Old 04-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #14
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbernitz View Post
Well as far as i underderstand it, the third generation of kaleido will be sometime this year with more improvements, but the onyx is only implementing generation 2, so I will wait for third generation kaleido devices
Generation 2 and first device with On-Cell touch.

Once Generation 3 ist developed it takes another year before it's available in a device. According to eink.com, Kaleido Plus was developed in early 2021. That would mean for the third generation, about 1,5 years from today before you can hold it in your hands.

In the meantime they are working on generation 4 or 5, so again no reason to buy it
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 02:55 AM   #15
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
E INK Kaleido 3 Color E-paper (8", 10" and 13" panels)

https://goodereader.com/blog/e-paper...-now-available

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Marinolino; 04-08-2022 at 03:08 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote