Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
squeakywheel
squeakywheel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3, PRS-500 (retired)
PRS-500 upgrade relay for a Canadian

Hello Y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been trying to get the firmware upgrade for my PRS-500 in Canada with no luck. I don't have any relatives in the states whom I could cajole to help me. So, I turn to my fellow MobleRead forum'ers, is anyone willing to be my relay for the upgrade. I live in Vancouver BC.
squeakywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakywheel View Post
Hello Y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been trying to get the firmware upgrade for my PRS-500 in Canada with no luck. I don't have any relatives in the states whom I could cajole to help me. So, I turn to my fellow MobleRead forum'ers, is anyone willing to be my relay for the upgrade. I live in Vancouver BC.
One of our members from Australia, AprilHare, is sending a PRS-500 to the US for the upgrade. AprilHare paid for the shipping to SONY and they are paying for the shipping back.

Have you talked directly to the Sony Repair Depot in Coquitlam? One would think that they could do the upgrade there.

*edit*
It appears that AprilHare has been informed by SONY that they will not cover the return shipping. See thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...996#post666996

*edit*
It sounds now as if Sony is covering the return postage.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
squeakywheel

I contacted Sony in Coquitlam and they said they are not able to do the upgrade.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
So bad that we can not get the upgrade from Canada, I have a PRS500 too, never thought that Sony will offer new firmware for EPUB, never thought when they do we can not just simply upgrade it by our own too,
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Edit edit: they're gunna cover the return
I just hope they've made up their mind this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
One of our members from Australia, AprilHare, is sending a PRS-500 to the US for the upgrade. AprilHare paid for the shipping to SONY and they are paying for the shipping back.

Have you talked directly to the Sony Repair Depot in Coquitlam? One would think that they could do the upgrade there.

*edit*
It appears that AprilHare has been informed by SONY that they will not cover the return shipping. See thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...996#post666996
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
squeakywheel

Okay, so I've been sidetracked by my life the last few days, but I'm getting back into the PRS-500 upgrade fight. I rang Sony again, and the guy gave me a 800 number in Toronto. I googled them, and apparently they do repairs or whatnot for Sony. Haven't had a chance to call them (darn time difference) but will do so soon!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

I called them and they told me a address to ship to reader to them, they will upgrade the firmware and ship back to us.
It's free, as I confirmed with them
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay, so I've been sidetracked by my life the last few days, but I'm getting back into the PRS-500 upgrade fight. I rang Sony again, and the guy gave me a 800 number in Toronto. I googled them, and apparently they do repairs or whatnot for Sony. Haven't had a chance to call them (darn time difference) but will do so soon!
You're complaining about time differences?
Try it when you're on the other side of the world..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzou View Post
I called them and they told me a address to ship to reader to them, they will upgrade the firmware and ship back to us.
It's free, as I confirmed with them
Good to hear Canadians are getting free shipping back too.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
squeakywheel

For my internship I sometimes work for days and not see sunlight

Jimmy, is the address that you will ship to in the US?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

Quote:
For my internship I sometimes work for days and not see sunlight

Jimmy, is the address that you will ship to in the US?
No, it's SONY's Toronto factory service facility. I have not ship it out yet, hesitating because it will disable all the hacks
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
squeakywheel

Success! Just got off the phone with Sony, and they will send me the box to mail in my reader for the upgrade. The turnaround time could take up to 10 days, not including shipping, and it seems like they are using 2nd day shipping. Hopefully I'll get it back before the holidays.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

How are my northern hemisphere Commonwealth brethren doing? Got your PRS-500's firmware upgraded yet?
Mine came back to Australia firmware updated today! Only took nineteen days of liseuse withdrawal..
Linky.

Last edited by AprilHare; 12-10-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Moar
Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
This upgrade offer seems risky to me. I'm weary of things that could go wrong. In my experience, dealing with large companies can be dangerous. They're likely to lose the device somewhere or send it back to the wrong address.

My prs500 works well the way it is. I never pay for drm-protected books, so I don't really need epub, though it would be nice to have the option in case I ever do want to buy an ebook. But I doubt that will happen. Paperbacks are just so much better than ebooks. I only use this reader gadget for public domain literature.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
This upgrade offer seems risky to me. I'm weary of things that could go wrong. In my experience, dealing with large companies can be dangerous. They're likely to lose the device somewhere or send it back to the wrong address.

My prs500 works well the way it is. I never pay for drm-protected books, so I don't really need epub, though it would be nice to have the option in case I ever do want to buy an ebook. But I doubt that will happen. Paperbacks are just so much better than ebooks. I only use this reader gadget for public domain literature.
"Who Dares Wins".
I really fought to ensure Sony got my address correct (which they did).
True, your PRS-500 works well just the way it is.
It just doesn't have EPUB/ADE or DRM support.
You can't buy or borrow books like I can, nor can you get really nice free DRMed free ebooks like I've got either.
The new firmware has other functionality that makes it a must have too, such as 64 bit support (read: get a new computer with a 64 bit operating system, it'll work).
Project Gutenberg have lots of new EPUB pieces of public domain literature which will go down a treat with my upgraded PRS-500.
Remind me: if paperbacks are so much better, why the PRS-500?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
HiWire
HiWire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-500)
Excellent support from Sony

Hey gang,

I just called Sony Customer Support in Canada (1-877-899-SONY) and got useful information from Alex.

He says that you can send your PRS-500 to the following address to get the firmware upgrade:

Sony Toronto Factory Service Centre
211 Placer Court
Toronto, ON M2H 3R6
Canada
Telephone: 1-877-899-7669

They will send your PRS-500 back, free of shipping charges.

Since I live in Toronto, he said it was also possible to bring the unit to the centre and have the firmware upgraded while I wait.

Cheers,
HiWire
HiWire is offline   Reply With Quote