Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I haven't decided yet

Hi. I am new here. I have been reading posts for a few weeks have been trying to decide what I device I would like to get. I am still yet to decide but have been looking closely at the Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Iliad 2nd Edition, Kindle and iRex 1000S. Of those, only the iliad 2nd Edition and iRex 1000S can be purchased where I live (Australia). Even so, I am still really considering the Sony and Kindle devices.....good old eBay will provide the way.
The Kindle II looks like it might be good too. I am holding off on my decision, not that I have been able to make one, until after the Kindle II announcement. I really hope that it is available for purchase in Australia, it might just be the deciding factor for me. Failing that, it's back to reading and trying to decide.
I have a few programming text books in PDF and CHM format. Besides, that I don't have too much....yet. Besides the programming books, I have only purchased a few novels from eReader for reading on my Palm TX. Most of my book purchases to date have been books made from paper, but I have started to get texts in digital format so as I don't have to carry them to and from work. I like to read them in both locations.
I also have to read, write and correct Word documents for work. So, I want something suitable for all of this. I don't expect to write documents on an eReader, but to be able to read Word documents and to add notes for review meetings would be a bonus.
Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any reason you're not considering the Hanlin or CyBook? Both good machines; both available in Australia. Bear in mind that if you buy a Sony you will effectively be buying it with no warranty!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to the forum, Millydog. You should check out the several comments from other posters concerning reading PDFs. Other than that, I agree with Harry. IMO both the Cybook and the Hanlin are superior to the Sony. Since I've never seen an Iliad/Irex, I can't say anything about them.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Jodi, and welcome to MobileRead.

You've come to the right place for great advice and friendly helpful people.

Be sure and check out the books already available here for free download.

Enjoy, and continue to ask questions!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
hi millydog
The BeBook (=Hanlin v3) can be shipped to Australia and is probably available there also. Computer ebooks in PDF format can be tricky, you might want to read the review on my blog (see my signature). Some PDF computerbooks cannot open, crash or have too small print to read on a BeBook (or lets just say on any reader with 6 inch screen like sony, hanlin and cybook), but a majority are readable. I do not know how these ebooks do on an iliad or irex. According to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix only Hanlin and iRex (iLiad) can read chm.
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Hi Millydog, I am also undecided between the iRex iLiad, the iRex DR100S and the Kindle 2. If you want to read PDFs, you should check out this thread which has a lot of helpful comments and screenshots as well.

FWIW, if the only changes in the 2nd version of Kindle are cosmetic and it does not have native PDF support, I might have to go with the iLiad as I read a lot of journal and conference papers in PDF format and I want my e-reader to support them well.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Alf
Alf began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
What about the eSlick? It's basically a Cybook, but it runs the foxit reader, so I guess the pdf support will be quite well handed. Apart from PDF and txt, it's not going to support any other format when it ships in March, but they are working on ereader now, which I think no other device supports, and apparently epub is on their plans.

Regarding Sony, PRS 505 has already been in the market for more than one year. Last year the 700 was launched, which is not actually a real menace, they can coexist, but I'm afraid next year Sony will move on to a new 510 or something, so I would recommend you a different brand (Sony's infamous internal timer could also be an issue xD).
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
millydog
Connoisseur

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I really appreciate that.

I did consider the Hanlin and CyBook, but took them off my short list. If there is a reason that I should keep them in mind then please let me know. One of the reasons was for having only 4 shades of grey. Programming texts do contain images and thought that 8 shades might make the images a bit sharper or clearer. Having said that, it's not the most important thing.

In regards to not having the Sony warrenty, that is o.k. I have purchased Sony products before from Hong Kong, therefore with no warrenty. I am actually somewhat of a Sony fan. I love gadgets and I feel that Sony products are built well. I like that they are metal and feel solid.
One thing that I keep considering is that the Sony PRS-700, iLaid and Digital Reader all have touch screens. My other gadgets include a Palm TX and an iPhone 3G, both of which have a touchscreen. I am not sure if it is necessary to have one on an eReader, but my instincts will possibly be to touch the screen. lol

Johanm, that is a great review that you wrote on the BeBook. Thanks for sharing that. One of the things that stood out to me was that if I want to view DRM Adobe books then get a Sony. I have DRM'd computer texts in Adobe format.

I read the threads on viewing PDFs for technical books. It seems that the DR1000S would be great, but I feel that it is perhaps too big and not very portable. I also want to read novels, so I am actually leaning towards the iLaid V2 after reading that. However, my mind is constantly changing. lol. I like that the iLaid has a touch screen and WiFi. However, I would have preferred it to have had a SDHC card slot since most of my devices (Palm TX, IXUS camera, EEE 901) use SD cards. That's kind of the only thing going against it.....but I could live with it. I also like that the iLaid has a larger screen than the Sony, but is still very portable. The fact that it reads CHM is also great.

So now I have seen a number of pictures of PDFs on the iLaid and DR1000S. Both look like they handle them quite well to me. I would be interested in seeing pictures of PDFs on the Sony 505 and 700 though before making a decision. Actually, I still want to see the Kindle II reviews before making a decision.

DesiLinguist, thanks for the link to the PDF thread. I found lots of useful information in there. I will be interested in hearing what device you decide on.

Jodi
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
if you plan on reading PDFs, you need the big screen of the IREX's. sonys would not cut it.

If you plan on reading only novels on your Ebook reader, the Sony 505 is great, but if you want the Light, the 700 Is good for that. if you dont need the light, save your money on a 505.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
Keep in mind that according to the E-book Reader Matrix the sony doesn't support CHMs.
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #11
millydog
Connoisseur

I was planning on reading both PDFs and novels on an eReader, however, there lies the problem.....when I am reading PDFs, I would like the DS1000S, but when I am reading novels, my choice would be the Sony PRS-505 or PRS-700.
I am not going to get two readers though. lol.

Actually, here in Australia, the cost of the PRS-505 is roughly $450, the PRS-700 is $750, the iLaid is $1300 and the DS1000S is $1400.
So, the iRex devices are quite expensive, I may end up going with a Sony. The PDFs that I read are programming manuals and I am usually on a PC at the same time, programming, so I could keep on viewing them on my PC screen (work gives me two monitors anyway)....and then get a Sony for my personal usage and any PDF that doesn't have too many images.

I have seen that CHMs can be converted to PDFs, so I could always have a go at doing that to see what they turn out like.

Jodi
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Arch
Arch began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I do want to read the occasional textbook too.

Btw, the Iliad is $999 at Dymocks (online) for the 'book edition' and $1199 for the v2. The DR1000, which is the DR1000S minus the touchscreen is also $1199 at DADirect.

I wish I bought one when the exchange rate was more favorable...
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
millydog, I decided to go with an iRex iLiad Book Edition. The PDF functionality was important to me as was compatibility with the local library that lends ebooks. I have more details about what I chose in this post. Good luck with your decision!
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
millydog
Connoisseur

I am so excited. I have finally ordered an eReader!
I have ordered the iRex iLiad V2 from Dymocks in Australia. I also ordered the leather cover to protect it. Order went in at about 1am (Thu)....and it is being delivered to my work via courier....so now I am hoping that it arrives on Friday, in time for the weekend.
Oh, I am very excited.

Thanks for your post about Australian prices Arch.
Thanks for the link to your post, listing your reasons for choosing the iLiad, DesiLinguist. It helped me to decide to get the iLiad too....but I went with V2 for the WiFi, even though I agree that the silver does look good.

Well, I have made my mind up now....so now I need to wait for it to arrive.

I had better get some sleep.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.
Jodi

Last edited by millydog; 02-11-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Good for you, Millydog. Be sure and stick around to learn more about it!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote