Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 02-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by seby View Post
It's essentially a cheaper version of the Alita (sells for 350$ against 440$). It has lower hardware specs: 2GB RAM vs 4GB Alita, no SD card (but 64GB vs 32GB Alita), lower display resolution (194ppi vs 226ppi), CPU with 4 cores vs 8 cores of Alita.
Removing the SD-card slot but doubling the RAM seems an odd decision for a cheaper model. I would think an SD-card slot would be cheaper to increase than an extra 32 GB of RAM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Removing the SD-card slot but doubling the RAM seems an odd decision for a cheaper model. I would think an SD-card slot would be cheaper to increase than an extra 32 GB of RAM.
It's not RAM, it's Flash, and the SD slot is a lot more complex in terms of layout, housing and control.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An SD slot is very simple HW. The I/O is on nearly every CPU. The SW is already there. It's simply to save a few cents. Or in the case of some gadgets, not Boyue, it's for a more locked device.

How do I know? I've added an SD slot to even a $2 CPU without Linux or Android, simple free library to read FAT32. No hardware except the socket. The exFAT and other formats are more work. Android has support for a few formats of SD card including secured Android.

A 32G Flash memory seems now about the same price as 4G, less difference than total cost of an SD card socket inc mounting, case slot, and test.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A 32G Flash memory seems now about the same price as 4G, less difference than total cost of an SD card socket inc mounting, case slot, and test.
I didn't quite get your conclusion. So is the the extra 32G of Flash more or less expensive than an SD card socket?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I didn't quite get your conclusion. So is the the extra 32G of Flash more or less expensive than an SD card socket?
An SD slot is more expensive than a 64 GB instead of 32 GB Flash (which cost nearly the same).
Advert
Old 03-08-2021, 02:46 AM   #21
likebookstore
Connoisseur
likebookstore began at the beginning.

Device: likebook alita
the really problem is SD card slot bring many problem in card compitable and also have to test a lot when production

for sure 32 GB ROM is expensiver than a SD card slot.

Last edited by likebookstore; 03-08-2021 at 02:49 AM.
likebookstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:59 AM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebookstore View Post
the really problem is SD card slot bring many problem in card compitable and also have to test a lot when production

for sure 32 GB ROM is expensiver than a SD card slot.
With this statement you contradict yourself - the test is much more expensive than a fraction of yuan for a larger flash.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-08-2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #23
likebookstore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
With this statement you contradict yourself - the test is much more expensive than a fraction of yuan for a larger flash.
when remove the SD card slot, the complaint from user is much less such as not compitable or can not recognize it.

but 32GB memory may not enough for andorid device because many apps quite big size. then upto 64GB, this is not means in order to save the cost, we have to reduce any extra cost. this also have to check the market demand

what I means the cost is from hardware part, 32GB flash cost > SD card slot cost..
Old 03-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
when remove the SD card slot, the complaint from user is much less such as not compitable or can not recognize it.

but 32GB memory may not enough for andorid device because many apps quite big size. then upto 64GB, this is not means in order to save the cost, we have to reduce any extra cost. this also have to check the market demand

what I means the cost is from hardware part, 32GB flash cost > SD card slot cost..
With my Alita under Android 8.1 I have 23 GB (what was left of 32 GB) + 512 GB (SD card) = 535 GB storage option.
At the moment I use about 420 GB of it - with 53 (P10) I only start very little.

The P10 is much worse than the Alita in every respect and, in my opinion, not worth the discount.

Of course, the direct costs for an SD slot are slightly less than 32 GB more flash, but a built-in and functioning SD slot is more expensive to produce and of course much more valuable.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-08-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
The SD slot is what makes Alita most attractive.
I just wish they would have made a 64gb with sd slot. I get that the 32gb loss is where they make up the cost for keeping the sd slot, but still - they would have had something special, and I think people would have paid closer to the Note 3 price for it.

The Alita already has a slight setback in the market with the Android 8.1, keeping the storage up would have been nice.

23gb remaining storage you say? That's pretty light, and I need to add a number of my own apps to it out of the box...
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
23gb remaining storage you say? That's pretty light, and I need to add a number of my own apps to it out of the box...
23 GB is a lot if the data are on the SD card.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #27
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Likebook store says it's a tougher device because the screen protector.

Did anyone buy it?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:47 PM   #28
likebookstore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Likebook store says it's a tougher device because the screen protector.

Did anyone buy it?
hi, this is not for the film, this is for the inner design and thicker glass coverlens( tempered glass) to make the body more strong.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #29
likebookstore
Connoisseur

I totally agree SD card is more convenience to transfer the data, now you can use the OTG function connect to the pen driver or SD card by USB-C

Is anybody know how to upload the picture here? i can share it.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Is anybody know how to upload the picture here? i can share it.
Go to "advanced", in Additional Options you can see "Attach files" and "Manage Attachments" - Upload!