Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Biteme81
Biteme81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Help with .mobi files

I have copied .Mobi books onto my Kobo Touch but it is only showing a single page and not the whole book. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it????
Biteme81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
This probably will be moved.

Any Kindle questions will be answered faster and the
correct sub forum to post in is the

Amazon Kindle forum, Just below this one.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I think the Kobo subforum would be better. I just looked at the specs for the Touch, and apparently it does do .mobi natively.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kobo forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Does the mobi file have DRM? If so, the Kobo can't read them. For other mobi files, some work fine and others have problems. Mostly the problems are with the formatting. They just don't quite display properly. I have given up trying and simply convert them to epub with calibre. The Kobo handles this perfectly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Biteme81
Biteme81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you
Biteme81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
mr-j0nes
mr-j0nes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have the same problem, even after converting to epub. Says the book is only 1 page long and when I try to turn the page on the kobo it goes back to the home screen. Any other suggestions?
Strange thing is, I've used exactly the same .mobi files before and they have worked.
mr-j0nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-j0nes View Post
I have the same problem, even after converting to epub. Says the book is only 1 page long and when I try to turn the page on the kobo it goes back to the home screen. Any other suggestions?
Strange thing is, I've used exactly the same .mobi files before and they have worked.
If there is not DRM in the book, the conversion should work. It is possible there is an error in the book structure that means it doesn't convert properly. I'd have to see either the mobi or the epub to get an idea.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

mr-j0nes sent me a few mobi books to look at. Some of them had the one page only problem, and some seemed to be OK. The interesting thing is that the one-page books had the zoom icon instead of the fonts icon when the bottom bar was displayed.

It looks like the first page is rendered as an image. The zoom icon works to zoom in and then move the page around the screen.

I pulled a few books apart and I can only see one difference between the good and bad books. The working books have the text wrapped in <div>'s. The bad ones, don't have this. I don't know if this is the reason for the problem or not.

I did convert a few of the non-working to epub. mr-j0nes said he had problem with at least one of these stopping after only 15 pages. I didn't have any problems with any of them. I didn't actually read them, just kept tapping the screen to page forward while I was reading this forum. I only tried two or three, so I might have missed the bad one.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
....I didn't even know the KT would accept .mobi files. I always convert them.

david, was the text properly declared in the manifest? If the only page is a fake-text cover, it sounds like the mobi file isn't even aware of there being any text in the book, or at least that the manifest isn't formatted properly for the KT to understand.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
....I didn't even know the KT would accept .mobi files. I always convert them.
That makes two of us. I have tested them in the past, and wasn't happy with the results. Converting them always gave better results. Plus I could fiddle with the epub if needed.

Quote:
david, was the text properly declared in the manifest? If the only page is a fake-text cover, it sounds like the mobi file isn't even aware of there being any text in the book, or at least that the manifest isn't formatted properly for the KT to understand.
I don't know the mobi format very well, but didn't notice an obvious errors. Does the following look correct?

Code:
<manifest>
<item id="item0" media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" href="The Hard Way_ A Reacher Novel - Lee Child.html" />
<item id="cover_img" media-type="image/jpeg" href="Images/image00001.jpeg" />
<item id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" href="The Hard Way_ A Reacher Novel - Lee Child.ncx"></item>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="item0"/>
</spine>
<tours>
</tours>
<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="The Hard Way_ A Reacher Novel - Lee Child.html#filepos1025333" />
</guide>
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

No syntax errors that I can see. I take it you have checked that the filename "The Hard Way_ A Reacher Novel - Lee Child.html" is correct, there's not so much as a capitalisation out of place (given that Windows doesn't care about capitals, but linux does) and contains all of the text that's not being displayed.

I don't know that much about the mobi format either, but if you forward the books I can take a look and see if I can work out what's going on. I might see something you missed.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
No syntax errors that I can see. I take it you have checked that the filename "The Hard Way_ A Reacher Novel - Lee Child.html" is correct, there's not so much as a capitalisation out of place (given that Windows doesn't care about capitals, but linux does) and contains all of the text that's not being displayed.
I thought of the case when I posted above. I checked it quickly by eye and it seemed to be OK.
Quote:
I don't know that much about the mobi format either, but if you forward the books I can take a look and see if I can work out what's going on. I might see something you missed.
I sent you a PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
A trick I use if I am not happy with the mobi to epub conversion in Calibre is to add a middle step. I convert from mobi to txt then quickly check out the txt file (within Calibre) and then format from txt to epub. This even adds a TOC sometimes when the mobi to epub doesn't. As the txt reside in the same folder as the mobi file the book cover is usually added to the epub file automatically.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I thought of the case when I posted above. I checked it quickly by eye and it seemed to be OK.

I sent you a PM.
Thanks. The problem is in the HTML file itself, but I'm unable to figure out why. I compared it with some other mobi files I had, and removed any tags that werent' in the working ones (basically the <font> because of the rgb use, the <div> and some pagebreak tags), but that didn't help. Adding only the html file back to calibre and converting back to mobi still caused the same problem. I can't explain why the first page is treated like an image, as there is no image of the text, and no image at all in the mobi file once I stripped it and converted it back.
Sending the html straight to the KT without conversion did work though, although exiting the book by pressing home took a while.

The only thing I can think of is the TOC is at the end (but declared at the beginning). But I wouldn't want to move it because of the filepos references that I don't know how to update.

As the conversion to epub works fine, I can only suggest converting it and forgetting about the mobi format.

Last edited by MisterBuggie; 11-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
help mobi, kindle books, kobo touch