Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
There is also the Pocketbook 912 to consider. I just heard about it today so I don't know much about it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #17
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
PocketBook 902 is on sale now, for $279.99 only. You won't find an e-reader with the large screen for this money.
Wait a second, isn't 902 an older model? 912 is newer or am I missing something?

There is one other opition - a 10.7 inch model called Plastic Logic 100 with touch screen and annotation, which is reviewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNfv9_G3jE (in Russian).

I am not very good at Russian, but I am catching that:

1) You can't buy this unit in shops (ok, so where do you get it from, he does not say!)
2) It comes pre-loaded with text books for year 5-7 in Russian state schools - it is some kind of government initiative.
3) Nevertheless the unit seems very good, watch how he displays a maths text book and a a biology book with detailed pictures.

It's kind of funny when the guy takes out a yellow marker and you think "wait, is he going to mark the ebook reader?!" then he proceeds to jab the screen of the ebook reader to demonstrate how durable it is.

Anyone knows anything about PlasticLogic 100 ?
In my opinion this product fills a niche, it's seems silly that it should be availablle only to school children in one particular country. Seems perfect for any university student.

Last edited by martienne; 05-27-2012 at 04:50 AM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post

Anyone knows anything about PlasticLogic 100 ?
In my opinion this product fills a niche, it's seems silly that it should be availablle only to school children in one particular country. Seems perfect for any university student.
I wouldn't count on seeing the Plastic Logic 100 anytime soon. The company announced a change in strategy (essentially getting out of the hardware business) on May 16. (See press release at http://www.oes-net.de/en/presse-news...e9536badd.html)

There's also an interesting analysis of the company on GigaOM (
http://gigaom.com/europe/great-techn...always-enough/).
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Interesting articles! Well I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater...
That technology gets more amazing the more I read about it.
Something will come of it.

Interesting situation when a superior product gets thrown away for something inferior for complex marketing related reasons like this.... a good example of when capitalism shoots itself in the foot. I am still saddened by the demise of irex.

But you are right - there is no point in WAITING for this device, it will turn up when it turns up.....
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
zxybangla
zxybangla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ectaco Jetbook Color

you can try Ectaco Jetbook Color
zxybangla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I agree with Harry and jocampo. IME, e-readers just don't do the job that well for academic pdf reading. I use my iPad to read pfds several hours a day and it works very well for me.
try the M92 and it will do all the jobs you need .. the ipad is good for playing some games..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
Danny.B
Danny.B began at the beginning.

Quote:
Because some of your original post is written in French .
Damned. I feel truly betrayed by my profile ;P

I slowly begin to be convinced by using a tablet instead of an e-reader, especially in regards with pdf reading and the fact that, well, there isn't one suitable e-reader for the use I want to make of it. So a tablet might be a good choice.

Quote:
That notwithstanding I strongly second the choice of a tablet, a 4:3 format would be preferable and, no, it doesn't have to have a fruit on it, nor the price-tag that goes with it.
I'm also not a big fan of apple, for the same reason you mentioned actually. Maybe an Android tablet could be a good idea, as I have already a Samsung Galaxy S2 as a mobile ? Do you have any advise on one especially good model, or even brand (especially in regards with reading, underlying sentences and a couple of taking notes on it)?

I didn't know this forum before posting some messages on it a few weeks ago, but it seems everybody is really helpful! Thanks again
Danny.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B View Post
Damned. I feel truly betrayed by my profile ;P
Moi c'est mon nom entier qui me trahis!
Since you're already a Samsung customer and want a 4:3 screen, I recommend the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which I've had since January and works really well.
Kind of looks like an iPad, but is lighter, less expensive and Android of course! Not sure where you're located but I've seen it here near Toronto at $479 for the 32 gb wifi model which I find more than sufficient for my needs.
What will make your reading experience, note taking etc meet your requirements is getting the right apps. For pdfs with annotations and other features, I find ezpdf pro the best app.
For reading my favorite is Aldiko Premium, connects with public library, and allows you to set up your catalogues such as Calibre, public library, Kobo etc so you can buy/borrow and then download without having to connect the tablet. In fact, I hardly never connect to the PC...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #24
Danny.B
Danny.B began at the beginning.

Yep, the Galaxy Tab seems to be really good and appreciated by customers. The galaxy note 10.1 is going to be sold pretty soon and I'll probably wait for this one (faster processor and it seems to be optimized for writing with a pen on it).

These apps seem prefect and what I was looking for, thks! Looking forward seeing the galaxy note being sold
Danny.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
apos
Zealot
apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: 623 Touch Lux, 912 Pro (selled), Surfpad 4 L, Waiting for CAD-Reader !
Hi, I just selled my PB 912. It is a really good device though - almost perfect. BUT: working in infomatic science I often have to read PDFs that contain coloured text passages. The Vizplex technology in this device is definitely NOT capable to handle this. The other downside is - compared to an iPad - that fast page switching is not possible. Also I recommend to buy a device with real finger touch. A stylus is good, but not intuitive enough (the end of article). Nevertheless the PB 9xx models have very good hardware buttons, but I think, the time for this GUI concept considering mobile devices has no future.

I will definitely [B]wait for new display technologies (Pearl with high contrast and no ghosting effects would be fine, color would be better), faster hardware (page switching, document loading), overall software compatibility (android based) and better resolution (for PDF documents). Until this is solved, an iPad 2 or android device should be the choice - for me.

Thats what I can tell everybody after using the PB912 for half a year in extensive usage (trying to read scientific and technical books and papers in informatic science).

To make that clear: the reason for selling is reading technical PDF documents with low contrast (colored) content, NOT real e-Books!

For that reason I consider to buy a Pearl-display based, finger touch controlled device - preferred from Pocketbook: e.g. the Touch 622. This 6'' device will be enough reading ebooks and do TTS or PDF reflow with all avaiable formats you can imagine.

For all other purposes a tablet or tablet PC is the better choice - at the moment.

Last edited by apos; 06-04-2012 at 02:35 PM.
apos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
@Hendrik - but don't forget that ebook readers can be used in daylight and glaring sunshine, whereas tablets cannot. For example, I had a nice time on the beach with my ebook reader last year, and sitting outside in cafes and reading.

I too am torn between the PocketBook Pro 912 and Jetbook Color
But why ? ONYX BOOX M92 is definitely a better choice

Yes, we are selling them, and I can see the ratio of sold devices in last months - 200:1 - per 200 M92 buyers there is just 1, who buys PocketBook Pro 912. What could be the reason of such a dramatical ratio? Most of buyers of ereaders with big screens are professional readers - students, lawyer, scientists etc. - high educated and smart people. Why they prefer this ereader (even if it is more expensive as some others) ? I think, because it just fits their needs and satisfies the most of claims to such a device. Some of them are linked and just share their experiences.

So think twice before you make your choice

Last edited by Booxtor; 06-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
But why ? ONYX BOOX M92 is definitely a better choice

Yes, we are selling them, and I can see the ratio of sold devices in last months - 200:1 - per 200 M92 buyers there is just 1, who buys PocketBook Pro 912. What could be the reason of such a dramatical ratio? Most of buyers of ereaders with big screens are professional readers - students, lawyer, scientists etc. - high educated and smart people. Why they prefer this ereader (even if it is more expensive as some others) ? I think, because it just fits their needs and satisfies the most of claims to such a device. Some of them are linked and just share their experiences.

So think twice before you make your choice
Thanks for responding to my question! Would you mind helping me with a clear explanation of why you think the ONYX BOOX M92 is better than Pocketbook Pro 912? Maybe also your view on the companies that sell them, if that is relevant..?

My usage will be:
1) "Academic" books... I work in IT and read quite a lot of documentation, including technical books. They are big and bulky, carrying them around is not an option. I don't like reading on backlit devices, so don't want ipad etc.
2) I take an evening language course and I would like to keep the material for this on the e-reader.
4) Reading regular books.

Perhaps I need a large device for (1) and (2), and something like a Kindle for (3).

I wasn't aware of the Onyx but I'll check that out. However I have seen the Pocketbook Pro a lot in Eastern Europe - Ukraine, Belarus etc. Had a hands on demo in one shop but I still had my Irex back then.. I thought the Pocketbook Pro was good apart from the slow page turning, and the fact that the pages temporarily go black when turning page. Never seen the Onyx at all! I did not even know it existed.

Edit: Oh, I am pretty impressed by this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EL43EQg8YM This is a later model than the Pocketbook Pro that I was talking about.

I had an Irex 8" screen, but unfortunately it got stolen. It did not have the problem with the black page flickering, and the screen was almost large enough. I liked that device a lot. It's a real pity they went bust.

Last edited by martienne; 06-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
I'm also in the same boat; looking for a large screen reader (for technical/IT books and other educational stuff, maybe some light reading too).

Initially I was drooling over the Jetbook Color (and especially the bragging rights of owning the only color e-ink round here LOL).
But after seeing enough pics and vids, I decided the background was too dark to give the product versatility in most lighting conditions (it's only good in bright light or sunlight)
That was my ONLY real gripe with this reader (I was willing to live with the muted/washed out colours).

I could still see the advantages of a large screen reader though, and from all the vids so far, M92 seems to be the best performing one (pearl screen, quick loading PDFs, Annotations, Wifi, pen tablet touchscreen).
I've read a lot of horror stories about M90, and hopefully M92 doesn't suffer the same fate? And there might still be future firmware updates?

From http://wn.com/Jbaach videos, I would say I prefer the screen of M92, even though he himself prefers Pocketbook? (I guess it's a case of whiter screen (PB) vs darker text/contrast (M92)).

This has also been posted elsewhere, but shows how fast the M92 performs.

I'll still take a look around for now, but for me M92 is currently leading the pack
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote