Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
A few ?'s about the 1.5 update

For those who previously had the custom/rooted 1.4 firmware and decided to forgo that for the new official 1.5:
  1. Will the book cover show up for sideloaded content while reading? (On the official firmware it does for B&N books and does not for sideloaded ones.)
  2. Can the same book be placed on multiple shelves? For instance, can the same book be placed on both a "Classics" shelf and a "Pulitzer Winners" shelf?

I'm thinking about switching over as I don't mind the segregated B&N/personal content because just about everything of mine is via inkmesh/google books and therefore sideloaded. It would be kind of a bummer not being able to cover flow through my library, but that would be mitigated with the better looking Library and the ability to see the book cover while reading (I consider this a must).

Thanks guys!
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexmex View Post
Will the book cover show up for sideloaded content while reading? (On the official firmware it does for B&N books and does not for sideloaded ones.)
That is not true. It is simply the case that the cover is not embedded within the book file. Use Calibre and it'll take care of all the details for you.

Personal content does not have a Cover Flow option, though.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
That is not true. It is simply the case that the cover is not embedded within the book file. Use Calibre and it'll take care of all the details for you.

Personal content does not have a Cover Flow option, though.
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I just didn't have the cover art embedded into the files. I guess the only hesitation I have now is the sorting of books in a series. I understand that books in a series aren't sorted chronologically, and if I want that I'll have to rename the titles of the books. Is there a quick way to do this in calibre?
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I just didn't have the cover art embedded into the files. I guess the only hesitation I have now is the sorting of books in a series. I understand that books in a series aren't sorted chronologically, and if I want that I'll have to rename the titles of the books. Is there a quick way to do this in calibre?
to have calibre do this ..just add the following

Preferences->Metadata Plugboards
then add the following
Format [Any format] Device [Nook]
Source template: {series} {series_index} {title}
Destination Field [title]
and save

then transfer an eBook to the Nook and it will add the series name, series sequence number to the book title on the Nook display and if the book has no series metadata then it just displays the normal eBook title. It makes finding books that is in a series so much easier on the nook...
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
lit chick
lit chick began at the beginning.

Device: nook
iandix, thank you so much!!!! I was going mad trying to figure this out.

ETA: Of course, my series had more than 9 books, so to get them to display correctly (rather than 1, 10, 2) you need to do this:

Format [Any format] Device [Nook]
Source template: {series} {series_index:0>2s} {title}
Destination Field [title]

Found here

Last edited by lit chick; 12-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.
lit chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
For those who previously had the custom/rooted 1.4 firmware and decided to forgo that for the new official 1.5:
  1. Will the book cover show up for sideloaded content while reading? (On the official firmware it does for B&N books and does not for sideloaded ones.)
  2. Can the same book be placed on multiple shelves? For instance, can the same book be placed on both a "Classics" shelf and a "Pulitzer Winners" shelf?

I'm thinking about switching over as I don't mind the segregated B&N/personal content because just about everything of mine is via inkmesh/google books and therefore sideloaded. It would be kind of a bummer not being able to cover flow through my library, but that would be mitigated with the better looking Library and the ability to see the book cover while reading (I consider this a must).

Thanks guys!

You can have a rooted nook with 1.5 fw, so you don't have to give up rooting to get the benefits of 1.5...

Just check nookdevs...
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
with my sideloaded books that have jpeg emebbed, the cover shows up in the lcd screen when i open up the book.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote