Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #136
ccadi
Alive'n'Reading
ccadi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Libra 2, Paperwhite 5 SE
Yet another thank you to the contributors to this thread. Saved me probably untold hours frustration.
ccadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #137
patricks
patricks began at the beginning.

Device: none (iread?)
I've read everything I can find on mobi DRM removal and I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried scripts 2 and 5 on windows and mac.

On the Windows Side I get the following errors:
mobiDeDRM005.py= line 22 print "Bad Key Length!"
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

mobiDeDRM002.py= line 19 print "Bad Key Length!"
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

And on the Mac Side (2&5 via applescript):
"Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect"

I've used both the file I downloaded originally and the file the mobipocket reader generates in an "Unknown" folder in My Documents. The book displays normally inside the reader. Also, I've checked and re-checked the PID key.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it
patricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #138
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
We can't tell you on this forum; this is 'The Program which must not be named'.

I'm certainly not an expert, but if you like to send me a private message I'll describe what works for me.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #139
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
PS. I've just noticed that you use a Mac. I use Windows XP, so what works for me may not work for you.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #140
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricks View Post
I've read everything I can find on mobi DRM removal and I can't seem to figure it out.
When you get a syntax error from a script that is known to work, the most likely cause is the wrong version of Python. Most scripts still require version 2.6, not the very new Python 3.0.

The usual reason for a PID problem, e.g. with my (perfectly legal) pid_checksum script, is that the arguments may need to be in quotes (single quotes on the Mac).

Another possible reason is that the MOBI isn't protected by a PID. Open Desktop Mobipocket Reader in "eBook" view, right click on the ebook, and select properties -> summary. If it says "Content Encrypted" then the ebook has DRM but no PID, see content encryption.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
When you get a syntax error from a script that is known to work, the most likely cause is the wrong version of Python. Most scripts still require version 2.6, not the very new Python 3.0.
Python 2.5.x. also works.

Also, get Python from http://www.python.org
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #142
patricks
patricks began at the beginning.

Device: none (iread?)
Working now, thanks very much for all the help. 2 days of trying on both the mac and windows side, reading, searching and banging my head against the table, and all I had to do was ask a question.
This is a great forum
patricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #143
lotusblossom
lotusblossom began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Automated dedrming files

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
The easiest way to use mobidedrm is to automate it with a couple of batch (command) files -- once you do this, you no longer have to use the command line to run the program at all (plus it will do all the files in a directory at once, moving them to a "WithDRM" and "NoDRM" directories (or the names of your choice) as it works. Not only is it easier to use for a power user, it's useable by anyone that can save a file to a specific location on their desktop and click a mouse (those two skills will probably be a minimum requirement that can't be worked around). I can post the batch files and setup, if anyone is interested (and there is some permanent place it will be easily found by those looking for it).
I certainly kmow this post is dated a long time after yours, but I have just began looking at dedrming books because my ebook (Bebook) will no longer support drmed mobibooks and I have lots of them.

If you are still offering an automated group of batch files, I would be eternally grateful to you if you would post the link.

Am I too late?

lotusblossom
lotusblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #144
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Hi! I'm not Koland, but I use some various batch files in my own processing. I actually make sure that all my original files are named in a specific format and then I use batch to both dedrm and set the author and title metadata. However, if you just want to remove the drm, something like this should work. The following will take any mobi files with a PRC extension and strip the DRM and rename them. For example, a DRM'd book such as "Emma by Jane Austen.PRC" would become "Emma by Jane Austen_free.PRC".

Quote:
for %%i in (*.prc) do "dedrm.py" "%%i" "%%~ni_free.prc" YOURPID
Just put this in a file called doit.bat or something. Have it in the same folder as the files you wish to free and make sure your dedrm.py file is in the same folder or in your system path.

If the files you want to dedrm are mobi instead of prc extensions, just change the command to reflect that. Or if you have both, just have duplicate the command in the file - 1 with prc and the other with mobi

Last edited by texasnightowl; 08-16-2009 at 01:29 PM.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #145
lotusblossom
lotusblossom began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Just put this in a file called doit.bat or something. Have it in the same folder as the files you wish to free and make sure your dedrm.py file is in the same folder or in your system path.

If the files you want to dedrm are mobi instead of prc extensions, just change the command to reflect that. Or if you have both, just have duplicate the command in the file - 1 with prc and the other with mobi
Thanks, Texasnightowl - this info looks like a real winner. (I apologize for all the typos in my post - A storm was brewing so I rushed).

lb
lotusblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #146
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
For those of us that are minimally DOS proficient, Thank you for this BAT file. You make my life easier with things like this.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #147
gbermor
Enthusiast
gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle/SO
This thread has been really helpful! Thanks to you all! I had a nice Mobipocket library on my PDA and now that I've upgraded to a reader I won't have to loose it!
gbermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #148
discusaigon
Connoisseur
discusaigon doesn't litterdiscusaigon doesn't litterdiscusaigon doesn't litter

Device: HX4700 + BEBOOK + HP612c
Hi,

I used mobidedrm005 and it worked well to remove the DRM.

but it did hurt my file (this dictionnary )

on the original file I have :

Quote:
nageoire n. f. * Organe membraneux, appareil propulseur des poissons, etc.
and on the freeDRM file I have :

Quote:
nageoire n. f. * Organe membraneux, appareilDҷ@šR*i+£2/
any chance to remove the DRM without hurting my file ?

Last edited by discusaigon; 09-06-2009 at 11:46 AM.
discusaigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #149
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How embarasing. It turns out that 0.05 still has a bug, one I fixed in January. I'd just forgotten that I'd done so.

The Dark Reverser's blog may be worth looking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusaigon View Post
Hi,

I used mobidedrm005 and it worked well to remove the DRM.

but it did hurt my file (this dictionnary )

on the original file I have :

and on the freeDRM file I have :

any chance to remove the DRM without hurting my file ?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #150
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I had a similar problem to the last one. I figured out how to run the mobidedrm in Terminal on Mac OS but the first two books I have attempted to read have been corrupted with huge chunks missing. Is it my .py, my python or something else entirely? Considering how proud I was of figuring out how to do this in the first place I don't have much hope that I'll be able to figure out the problem.

Never mind. I tried the second version of the .py and it seems to be working...now the tragedy will be whether all the books I have already blithely converted will need to be redone. Did someone say something about batching? Care to pm me with an idiot's tutorial?

Mel

Last edited by MelC; 09-10-2009 at 08:26 PM.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote