Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Fatespinner
Fatespinner began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Ares
Log Files

Hi all,

I have a problem with my reader. It randomly freezes. I want to find the root cause of the failure. Are there any log files where errors and exceptions and problems are recorded?
If yes, how can I access them?
Fatespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatespinner View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem with my reader. It randomly freezes. I want to find the root cause of the failure. Are there any log files where errors and exceptions and problems are recorded?
If yes, how can I access them?
There're no log files on android. There is a (fairly large) ring buffer where all apps and services dump their messages. It can be pretty messy as most android devices out there are very verbose in nature.

You can access with
Code:
adb logcat
but usually, without any kind of filters, is impossible to read in real time.

You can do some filtering by telling logcat you're interested in warnings or above for all tags.

Code:
adb logcat *:W
, find meaningless tags that are superverbose, filter them with
Code:
adb logcat *:W AnnoyingTag:S
and repeat it n times until you get something readable.

But if the device in question is the one of the signature I would recommend (in order, accumulative)

1. try to reproduce freezes with a different launcher
2. try to reproduce freezes with all your documents in a folder with a ".nomedia" file
3. try to reproduce freezes with google play services disabled.

Hopefully it is the launcher
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:13 AM   #3
Fatespinner

Wow what a great reply. As it also freezes during booting. It seems that the device is sometimes Still running as the light turns off after some time, but the screen doesn't update.

I will try a different launcher. Can you recommend one that works well for the Ares?
Old 10-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #4
Fatespinner

I tried it with the Nova launcher and the same problem occurred, when I wanted to zoom into a pdf page. So it is not a launcher problem. I fear that it might be hardware related.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatespinner View Post
I tried it with the Nova launcher and the same problem occurred, when I wanted to zoom into a pdf page. So it is not a launcher problem. I fear that it might be hardware related.
The only hardware failure that could explain random freezes I could think is an emmc module near to its end of life.

My suggestion is based on the very little experience I had with Likebooks.

The mediascanner reads the internal storage (and the sdcard if there's one) and tells the system: hey there are a few new documents.

On likebooks the mediascanner is "enhanced" with code from FBReader project. It's basically an IPC mechanism to tell the Boyue reader (reader & launcher are a single big blob) it needs to parse some new books.

The reader/launcher then tries to parse those documents, one by one. When it is able to parse a document it stores some metadata to avoid parsing it again. If it isn't able to parse a document it will retry the next time the mediascanner finds the same document, which is frequently.

;tl-dr: If some malformed book is in the internal storage the device will enter a loop of parsing -> failing -> parsing. It becomes worse if there are a bunch of malformed books.

Do note that books don't need to be "malformed" for the reader to fail. So malformed here just means a document that the Boyue reader doesn't know how to handle.

Hence my second suggestion of putting all your books into a folder with a .nomedia file. This will prevent the mediascanner from noticing they're there.

Then find a simple pdf from the internet, put it outside that folder and try to reproduce the issues. Make sure the Boyue Reader/launcher is not running in the background first.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
Fatespinner

Ok thanks. I will try that and hope I have some luck!!