Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
msbentley
msbentley began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 4
Onyx Android certification

Hi all,

I've been an Onyx "lurker" for some time, but am finally interested in getting the Note or the Max2. I'm mainly looking for a large device to read and annotate PDFs - and by annotate I mean write the annotations into the PDF such that they can be read/edited on the desktop also. So I'm really interested in using Android apps (many of which I have already paid for).

My concern is the recent news that Google will be clamping down on installs of the Play Store and associated infrastructure on uncertified devices. See, for example:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...xemption-roms/

Since I don't see Onyx listed as a Google partner:

https://www.android.com/certified/partners/

I didn't want to part with a large sum of money to find out that I had to jump through extra hoops to obtain/side-load etc. my apps.

Does anyone know the plans/status of the Boox here?

Thanks!! Mark
msbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbentley View Post
My concern is the recent news that Google will be clamping down on installs of the Play Store and associated infrastructure on uncertified devices
I can tell you that I never used the Play Store once in my life, and that I am pretty certain I will never do (or really need).
Of course, that may exclude paid for apps.
So, I have always gone for the extra hoops and I see negligible burdens and important features gained (I store my packages, with versioning).

For other people to answer your question directly, I leave the floor.

Last edited by mdp; 04-11-2018 at 08:32 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
msbentley

Thanks! I have no problem going through the technical process of side-loading, but since I have a bunch of paid apps I thought I'd ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I can tell you that I never used the Play Store once in my life, and that I am pretty certain I will never do (or really need).
Of course, that may exclude paid for apps.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
On the Note, I wasn't able to install the few paid apps I have from the Play Store, only the free versions of them.

However, I was able to extract the APK file from my paid apps and sideload them onto my Note. So I now have Moon+ Reader Pro running on my Note which is wonderful because it is one of the few ereader apps that seems able to handle the furigana in Japanese texts properly.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
msbentley

Thanks for the feedback - so you first install the app on another Android device, and then grab the APK and sideload onto the Note?

Another question would be - what is the stock PDF app like - can it write "proper" PDF annotations to the PDF? (then all of this may be moot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
However, I was able to extract the APK file from my paid apps and sideload them onto my Note.
Advert
Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
mlang
mlang began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
I had a problems installing paid apps on Boox Note.
I emailed the dev and here is their solution.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...g0WktPRTRkZV8w
mlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback - so you first install the app on another Android device, and then grab the APK and sideload onto the Note?
Yes. If you've already purchased the app, you likely have it on another Android device. You can then extract the APK from the app on that device and load it onto the Note.

There are a number of ways to extract the APK from an app. I posted some information about the easiest way which I have found to do this here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=10

Quote:
Another question would be - what is the stock PDF app like - can it write "proper" PDF annotations to the PDF? (then all of this may be moot!)
You can make annotations on the PDF. However, I haven't tried exporting an annotated PDF yet so I'm not entirely sure what format they would export in and how they would show up on another device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #8
msbentley

Thanks again! If you do happen to test this situation, it would be great if you could report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
You can make annotations on the PDF. However, I haven't tried exporting an annotated PDF yet so I'm not entirely sure what format they would export in and how they would show up on another device.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Thanks again! If you do happen to test this situation, it would be great if you could report back!
You can make annotations, scribble notes and add extra pages of sidenotes to the pdf. When exporting, you have the option of choosing if you want to retain the scribbles and/or annotations as well as the "brush stroke color" for handwritten notes.

The file gets exported as a separate pdf, retaining the highlights, embedded annotations as well as the handwritten portions (depending on what you chose). The sidenotes you write for any given page get inserted as new pages in the exported file right after their corresponding page.

The annotations show up when using other readers on other devices - just now tested the exported file on a PC.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
msbentley

Fantastic, that all sounds very promising - I don't support you could upload one of the exported files so that I could take a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
The file gets exported as a separate pdf, retaining the highlights, embedded annotations as well as the handwritten portions (depending on what you chose). The sidenotes you write for any given page get inserted as new pages in the exported file right after their corresponding page.

The annotations show up when using other readers on other devices - just now tested the exported file on a PC.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Fantastic, that all sounds very promising - I don't support you could upload one of the exported files so that I could take a look?
Sure. Just have time for a quick test file. The exported file has a couple of highlights, with scribble and extra side notes exported in blue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf-sample-original.pdf (7.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: pdf pdf-sample-Exported.pdf (34.0 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by gimble; 04-12-2018 at 01:18 PM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #12
msbentley

Super - thanks for taking the time! This looks like exactly what I want, so my original concern about side-loading is probably moot in my case if the device can do what I want "out of the box" - plus sideloading is an option if needs be.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
Sure. Just have time for a quick test file. The exported file has a couple of highlights, with scribble and extra side notes exported in blue.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
Atticus21
Atticus21 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3, Kindle
I just got my Onyx Note. I found that my purchased apps on the play.google.com looked like I'd need to repurchase. I then figured it out. Login into the play store from a computer via the browser and search for your purchased app. Then install it via the play store to the Onyx device....Easy. Kind of an over-the-air install.

Just my experience.

~ Phillip

Quote:
Hi all,

I've been an Onyx "lurker" for some time, but am finally interested in getting the Note or the Max2. I'm mainly looking for a large device to read and annotate PDFs - and by annotate I mean write the annotations into the PDF such that they can be read/edited on the desktop also. So I'm really interested in using Android apps (many of which I have already paid for).

My concern is the recent news that Google will be clamping down on installs of the Play Store and associated infrastructure on uncertified devices. See, for example:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...xemption-roms/

Since I don't see Onyx listed as a Google partner:

https://www.android.com/certified/partners/

I didn't want to part with a large sum of money to find out that I had to jump through extra hoops to obtain/side-load etc. my apps.

Does anyone know the plans/status of the Boox here?

Thanks!! Mark
Atticus21 is offline   Reply With Quote