Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Isn't it more difficult to choose the next book to read when you have thousands? I have trouble deciding between a few hundred. The immensity of choice! First World Problems!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #47
alexter
alexter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th and 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Isn't it more difficult to choose the next book to read when you have thousands? I have trouble deciding between a few hundred. The immensity of choice! First World Problems!
Yes it is! And all the different writing styles to chose from it drives me crazy...Was reading the second volume of "In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust, wich is a quite difficult read due to sentences within sentences and very elaborate and detailed images and I jumped to "The Invention of Copacabana" wich reads more like a graduation thesis on historic facts. Only god knows what I will read next.. maybe Plato's "The Republic" wich has been on my list for quite some time
alexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #48
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexter View Post
All my books are converted from ePub to MOBI with calibre. I don't buy books from amazon. I bought this kindle after I had a big library already sitting on my computer and would never buy this device otherwise. Actually, took me some time to find this solution (here on this forum) and its a problem amazon is not (yet) willing to solve. I hear somewhere the KOBO doesn't have this problem, not sure. All I know is that any search on my computer takes half a second with calibre and there is nothing indexed on my PC library, the search is made on the fly on the open ebook so it's possible to implement a search on kindle on the file that is open without having to index the whole library. It looks like something made intentionally to break a device that is sideloading many converted ebooks. Anyway, glad I've found this solution.
This is slightly off topic, but how do you search for a word within a book in Calibre? Do you use a plugin?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #49
alexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This is slightly off topic, but how do you search for a word within a book in Calibre? Do you use a plugin?
Shari
Don't know if there is a plugin to search within the whole library but with the book opened on the viewer its a piece of cake, ctrl-f.
Also, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214160
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	175102  
Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #50
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't know if there is a plugin to search within the whole library but with the book opened on the viewer its a piece of cake, ctrl-f.
Also, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214160
Ah...ok. I was hoping for a way to search for a word or phrase in a book across my library. I belong to a book group, and people frequently are looking for which book a specific quote comes from. With my Kindle, I can do a search on the quote (or part of it) and find the answer very quickly. I was hoping that I could do this in Calibre now, but it looks like that's not an option.

Shari
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
alexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
but it looks like that's not an option
Shari
Open the link I posted above, there is a workaround.

>>"If they're in ePub format, you can right click on your book list, go to "Quality Check" and then "Search epub".
You can try around with the check boxes they offer to focus the search."
Old 11-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #52
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Open the link I posted above, there is a workaround.

>>"If they're in ePub format, you can right click on your book list, go to "Quality Check" and then "Search epub".
You can try around with the check boxes they offer to focus the search."
Thank you! That works!

Shari
Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #53
gibzon
gibzon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Hello I'll delete that folder in vain. Rebuild and index again .... What am I doing wrong?
I did the txt file too .... Please help? Kindle paperwhite 4 10 gen in my device ....
gibzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #54
alexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibzon View Post
Hello I'll delete that folder in vain. Rebuild and index again .... What am I doing wrong?
I did the txt file too .... Please help? Kindle paperwhite 4 10 gen in my device ....
I did the following;
Deleted the folder "Search Indexes" inside the "System" folder and replaced by an empty TXT file called "Search Indexes". The TXT file doesn't have .txt at the end. It's called "Search Indexes" and not "Search Indexes.txt" Make sure you do that.