Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #1066
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please Name This Book. Who Wrote It?

I remember that years ago I read a book in which a group of men, maybe four of them, took it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioners of (men) whose trials had been dismissed because of technicalities, but who were certainly guilty.

I think it was called something like "The Four Just Men" but I've just checked the Edgar Wallace book on goodreads, and it doesn't have the same plot. Agatha Christie comes to mind as the author.

If anyone recognises the plot and knows the title and author, I would be grateful for the information as I'd like to read it again. Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #1067
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I think it was called something like "The Four Just Men" but I've just checked the Edgar Wallace book on goodreads, and it doesn't have the same plot. Agatha Christie comes to mind as the author.
And Then There Were None ?

P.S. i would ask that anyone who feels compelled to share or discuss the original title of that book find something else to enlighten everyone with. Thanks.

My first thought was actually the 1983 movie "The Star Chamber".

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #1068
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] I think it was called something like "The Four Just Men" but I've just checked the Edgar Wallace book on goodreads, and it doesn't have the same plot. [...]
Are you aware that Wallace wrote several books concerning "Just Men"? See here at Fantastic Fiction. A couple of those sound quite similar.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #1069
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Sounds like "The Law of the Four Just Men", who by now are reduced to two, and consists of a set of short stories in which Leon Gonzales and George Manfred (The third survivor of the original Four Just Men, Raymond Poiccart has retired to farm onions in France) dispense justice.

1: The Man Who Lived at Clapham
2: The Man With the Canine Teeth
3: The Man Who Hated Earthworms
4: The Man Who Died Twice
5: The Man Who Hated Amelia Jones
6: The Man Who Was Happy
7: The Man Who Loved Music
8: The Man Who Was Plucked
9: The Man Who Would Not Speak
10: The Man Who Was Acquitted
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #1070
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Sounds like "The Law of the Four Just Men", who by now are reduced to two, and consists of a set of short stories in which Leon Gonzales and George Manfred (The third survivor of the original Four Just Men, Raymond Poiccart has retired to farm onions in France) dispense justice.

1: The Man Who Lived at Clapham
2: The Man With the Canine Teeth
3: The Man Who Hated Earthworms
4: The Man Who Died Twice
5: The Man Who Hated Amelia Jones
6: The Man Who Was Happy
7: The Man Who Loved Music
8: The Man Who Was Plucked
9: The Man Who Would Not Speak
10: The Man Who Was Acquitted
Yes, I just checked Fantastic Fiction for this and I think this is the one. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1071
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And Then There Were None ?

P.S. i would ask that anyone who feels compelled to share or discuss the original title of that book find something else to enlighten everyone with. Thanks.

My first thought was actually the 1983 movie "The Star Chamber".
Agatha has a number of novels with confusingly different titles; some with no obvious reason for the change. Why is "Thirteen At Dinner" also called "Lord Edgware Dies"? Readers can find themselves reading the same novel twice because of this. (Or at least the first few pages.)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #1072
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Agatha has a number of novels with confusingly different titles; some with no obvious reason for the change. Why is "Thirteen At Dinner" also called "Lord Edgware Dies"? Readers can find themselves reading the same novel twice because of this. (Or at least the first few pages.)
As far as I can tell publishers have a strong influence on titles and in many cases her British and American publishers choose different titles.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 PM   #1073
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
I'm trying to figure out the name and author of a science fiction novel I read a few years back. The book's chapters could largely be stand-alone, except one repeating story. (Which I'll explain in a moment.) The overall story is that this guy locates a ship from a past empire that has the resources to do all kinds of incredible genetic engineering. He then goes around the galaxy performing genetic engineering for hire, using the ship for good. If I'm remembering correctly, he also had to fend off at least one attempt by others to take the ship from him and use it for less enlightened purposes.

The one repeating story involves one planet that has a serious over-population problem. They refuse to do anything to slow down population growth, not even birth control, and twice he solves their problem by genetically engineering some plant or the other to dramatically increase yields so that the increasing population won't starve. The last time he claims to have done the same, but this time around there's an additional genetic payload that isn't apparent until much later that sterilizes half the population. That last time one of the planet's natives that was working with him learns what will really happen, and he leaves it up to her if she wants to speak up and stop things. She doesn't speak up and the book ends mentioning how her name was cursed for generations afterward on the planet, but their population problems were solved.

I'd really like to re-read it, but I cannot remember the name or author and the details I remember are too vague to get Google to spit out the correct title.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:37 AM   #1074
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I'm trying to figure out the name and author of a science fiction novel I read a few years back. The book's chapters could largely be stand-alone, except one repeating story. (Which I'll explain in a moment.) The overall story is that this guy locates a ship from a past empire that has the resources to do all kinds of incredible genetic engineering. (etc)
Tuf Voyaging.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/776212.Tuf_Voyaging
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #1075
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
That's it, thank you very much! I never would have guessed it was by George R. R. Martin.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #1076
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I remember some of those from when they appeared in Analog! Wow, that was a long time ago.

Added to my wishlist.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #1077
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Tuf Voyaging is quite widely available cheap in paperback, here in the UK, since they reprinted all the old GRRM stuff after GoT. I often see it in places like The Works, HMV, Fopp, etc, that do discounted/remaindered paperbacks, along with his other early stuff like Fevre Dream and Windhaven.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #1078
BookCat
C L J

Back in the 1980s I read a novel about a doctor who first discovered the link between puerperal fever and that doctors didn't wash their hands between examining cadavars and attending women giving birth. It went into detail about his fight to have the need for cleanliness in hospitals recognised.

I thought it was called something like The Physician, but looking up the title on goodreads hasn't helped, so it must have been called something else.

I would be grateful for any ideas.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #1079
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Doctor's Plague?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #1080
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Doctor's Plague?
Unfortunately that book wasn't published until 2003 and I read the novel in the early 80s, just after moving to Birmingham. However, checking the book on goodreads has given me the name of the doctor the novel was about:

Ignác Semmelweis

Edit: just did a quick google for novels about Ignác Semmelweis and I found the book:

The Cry and the Covenant, by Morton Thompson.

Thanks lots for the hint.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-28-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths