Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
How kindles orders dictionaries?

It clearly doesn't order them alphabetically.

I want to order them so that when a word isn't found if #1, kindle searches for it in #2 and so on.

Instead when I chose #4 for a particular book, and kindle doesn't find needed word, it starts seeking in #2, and if I chose #3 and it lacks the word - it doesn't jump to the next dictionary and just shows that the word wasn't found, and I have to seek manually.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
If wishes were money, we'd all be rich.

You can have multiple dictionaries and can set the default Kindle dictionary. Kindle will use that unless the book you have open has a language-metadata tag. E.g. if you have a French book and there is a French dictionary on your Kindle, then Kindle will use the French dictionary instead of the normal default dictionary.

I don't know of a way to get Kindle to automatically search sequential dictionaries. If you are ambitious, you could script that (on a jailbroken) Kindle or as a Kindle developer. A cursory search didn't reveal anyone having already done so.

You might wish to use koreader instead of the default Kindle UI (requires jb) to gain the ability to have multiple dictionary searches. Koreader uses the StarDict dictionary format.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote