Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #901
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathonk View Post
But there should be a reason why the hack isn't working right?
I followed instructions on the first page with the file in post #894 on my Aura Edition 2.
I know I can change it in devmode, but I want to be able to do it quicker, I turn it off and on everyday because the brightness level is too high on 1% and dark mode makes brightness lower.
The hack doesn’t always work because it’s trying to make the software do something in a way it wasn’t designed to do it.

Using devmodeon with the patch, which isn’t any worse than the hack and is more likely to consistently work since it’s basically taking an existing setting option and copying it to a different part of the UI, versus the hack which is trying to get a setting to trigger a condition which then inverts the screen, though I don’t think it’s touching the devmodeon setting.

In point of fact I’m pretty sure the patch for this can be used without setting devmodeon the difference is that you wouldn’t also have access to it via developer settings. And it might also have the invert default to off when you power off or sleep the kobo I’m not 100% on that. And of course using both will have the setting stick until you change it.

Why get hung up on why an unsupported third party hack isn’t working when there’s a less invasive one that does work and gives you the setting right in reader settings?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #902
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
I followed instructions on the first page with the file in post #894 on my Aura Edition 2.
I know I can change it in devmode, but I want to be able to do it quicker, I turn it off and on everyday because the brightness level is too high on 1% and dark mode makes brightness lower.
I have never tested the devmodon but I use the night mode plugin since the first day. When you activate it, it stays ON even after a reboot; the only way to stop (=deactivate) it is to do the same operation.
I use it with a GLO and an AURA HD, and the 2 have a button to activate it... so I can't test without a button. I think someone will test it for you and come back here to give us the result.

2 notes :
1. Are you sure you have a AURA 2 ? because if it's a H2O, on the post number #45 of this page https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=257246&page=3 there a solution for H20...
2. The good plugin for recent firmwares is here : https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...de_build13.zip (the first version doesn't work with the new firmwares).

Last edited by akorx; 12-14-2019 at 12:40 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #903
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The patch changes the little used Adobe page numbers into a nightmode toggle. I would prefer that to installing some other software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #904
KJB
KJB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
...Why get hung up on why an unsupported third party hack isn’t working when there’s a less invasive one that does work and gives you the setting right in reader settings?
I prefer the nightmode hack because for me it's easier to quickly toggle the nightmode just by shifting the light to 100% (I changed the nightmode.ini to make this work, as described earlier in this thread). Works perfectly.

For me this is easier than having to look for the nigtmode in the menus, especially when I am reading at night, in bed, without my glasses . At the same (night)time I change the font to a rather LARGE setting. (It makes my children laugh when they see these huge characters.)

During daytime I change it back and read in more normal light- and fontsettings.

I know I can also use the patch to change the Adobe page numbers into nightmode toggle, but I think this patching is a process to complicated.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #905
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
I know I can also use the patch to change the Adobe page numbers into nightmode toggle, but I think this patching is a process to complicated.
I'd agree it's faster to get the light to 100 (or whatever setting you opt for) than to hunt into dev settings. However the patching process is barely more complicated than the hack, especially since you've got to customize the hack.

The patching process seems complicated, largely because the instructions are written by technical people, but also because it covers more contingencies like making sure your device is up to date.

Cutting the patching instructions down somewhat

1) download both the kobo update, and the kobo patch files
2) Unzip the kobo patch, put the kobo update zip in the src folder which is in the kobo patch folder
3) change no to yes in the various docs in the src folder for whatever patches you want leave it as no for the ones you don't want
4) if on windows just run the .bat file
5) copy the koboroot.tgz to .kobo folder on your kobo device.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #906
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd agree it's faster to get the light to 100 (or whatever setting you opt for) than to hunt into dev settings. However the patching process is barely more complicated than the hack, especially since you've got to customize the hack.

The patching process seems complicated, largely because the instructions are written by technical people, but also because it covers more contingencies like making sure your device is up to date.

Cutting the patching instructions down somewhat

1) download both the kobo update, and the kobo patch files
2) Unzip the kobo patch, put the kobo update zip in the src folder which is in the kobo patch folder
3) change no to yes in the various docs in the src folder for whatever patches you want leave it as no for the ones you don't want
4) if on windows just run the .bat file
5) copy the koboroot.tgz to .kobo folder on your kobo device.
I've applied the patch to allow night mode to be turned on/off. When you are in the book, go to reading settings and you can toggle night mode from there. It's less difficult them doing so using the light slider especially if you have the light set to what you want as you'd have to set the light to 100% and then back to what you had it.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #907
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've applied the patch to allow night mode to be turned on/off. When you are in the book, go to reading settings and you can toggle night mode from there. It's less difficult them doing so using the light slider especially if you have the light set to what you want as you'd have to set the light to 100% and then back to what you had it.
Yes, they’d specified not using the patch so the invert setting would be in settings- device info- dev settings- invert screen

Not ideal especially since with 4.18 and 4.19 you have to exit the book to get to those settings.

But you’re right about the patch option being easier to toggle on and off it’s also less interruptive since you won’t get the blast of 100% brightness when toggling it, which will be rather annoying at night
Old 12-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #908
KJB
KJB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Yes, they’d specified not using the patch so the invert setting would be in settings- device info- dev settings- invert screen

Not ideal especially since with 4.18 and 4.19 you have to exit the book to get to those settings.

But you’re right about the patch option being easier to toggle on and off it’s also less interruptive since you won’t get the blast of 100% brightness when toggling it, which will be rather annoying at night
Allright, thanks for your encouraging words and work, MGlitch and JSWolf!

I took the dive and succesfully managed to patch my firmware. Nightmode toggle works perfectly. You've got one more satisfied patchuser now!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #909
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Which version of nightmode would I use for a Glo HD (no light button), running 3.19? I assume that it would be one from the gtalusan repo, however there are several different builds.

(Due to numerous reasons, it can't be updated to the latest firmware)
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #910
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post
Which version of nightmode would I use for a Glo HD (no light button), running 3.19? I assume that it would be one from the gtalusan repo, however there are several different builds.

The version in the first post should work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #911
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post

There should be no reason you cannot update a Kobo Glo to the latest firmware. What are your reasons for not being able to do so? I've used 3.19.x and I'm using 4.19.x and I prefer 4.19.x.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #912
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi lel24,

Don't forget that there are separate firmware for each hardware version an for you if you have got a Glo HD (not a "simple" Glo), you have to use firmware for "Mark 6".
Old 12-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #913
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Another advantage of the hack/patch over the devmode open: you can set a screen-refresh value for nightmode separate from that used in regular mode, in the .ini file. You may find every chapter is fine for normal mode, but every screen is needed on some Kobo devices in nightmode, because of ghosting (ghosts are very scary at night! ).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #914
akorx
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Another advantage of the hack/patch over the devmode open: you can set a screen-refresh value for nightmode separate from that used in regular mode, in the .ini file. You may find every chapter is fine for normal mode, but every screen is needed on some Kobo devices in nightmode, because of ghosting (ghosts are very scary at night! ).
RobertJSawyer,

It's right, it's a good note : with night mode we have got more ghosting... I use a refresh every 6 pages (I think it's the default value) and every chapter for day mode.

Last edited by akorx; 12-22-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:55 AM   #915
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I have a Kobo Aura HD (the original 6.8" larger-screen Kobo reader, pre-H2O) and am running the latest public (non-beta) firmware on it. Searching for "devmodeon" does indeed provide an "invert screen" button, however, after several page turns within a book, the screen reverts to normal video. Either of the following will make it go back to inverse video:

* Looking up a word by a long press
* Bringing up a menu

Neither a simple page turn nor using an edge swipe to adjust brightness will restore inverse-video mode.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 02-01-2020 at 12:39 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch