Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Backlist

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this particular subject. If it isn't let me know.

I thought that I would start a thread that lists older backlist books as they become available as ebooks.

This week, I picked up two older fantasy/horror series, both complete series seem to be now available.

Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde series and
Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series

I have both in paperback and have been keeping my eye out for both. I actually got a notice from authoralert on the Karl Edward Wagner books. I found out about the Mercedes Lackey books because one of the series was listed in my recommendations for you and when I clicked on it, I saw they were all now available.

The Kane series is a classic fantasy/horror series. Pretty dark, but old fashion sword and sorcery at it's finest. Kane is the classic 60's/70's anti-hero (yes, he's that Cain)

I really didn't expect the Diana Tregarde series to become available. Apparently, the series triggered some of SF&F' fandoms real nutcases to contact Ms Lackey and it really spooked her, so she abandoned the series and it sounded like she wanted the series just to disappear.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm interested in new backlist ebooks. Once I come across a couple of good books by an author, I want to read all their earlier work too.

There has been a bit more recent progress on C. J. Cherryh's backlist: DAW have released Downbelow Station, Precursor (Foreigner #4), and Chanur's Legacy (Chanur #5).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 AM   #3
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Keep an eye on SF Gateway.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
For crime/mystery lovers, Dell Shannon's Lieutenant Luis Mendoza series started to appear on 21 May and are available in Kindle and epub formats.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Hurrumph ................

I expect some readers might suggest some "authors" never wrote any books/works of literature ..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I expect some readers might suggest some "authors" never wrote any books/works of literature ..............
Am I missing something? I'm not sure what you are replying to.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I remember searching out the Diana Tregarde series books via the used-book route so many years ago that I can't even remember what the particular stories were about. I'll have to check out the ebook versions, because only God knows in which storage box those books are in - lol.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just noticed that The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols is available, in the U.S. at least. I've been waiting for this one. It's one of my favorite books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-beanfield-war
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Foreigner series ebooks

DAW have published the final missing ebook in C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series: Explorer. (The series is not yet complete, but all of the books written so far are now available as ebooks).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Baen Books has "The Complete Compleat Enchanter" by Fletcher Pratt and De Camp in their Feb. bundle! Hot Dang! Just finished ordering the bundle. This is the complete Harold Shea adventures, all five stories. I've been looking for this book in ebook format since way back when I bought the ebook from Peanut Press for my Palm Pilot and then lost access to it when Peanut Press went belly up.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Baen Books has "The Complete Compleat Enchanter" by Fletcher Pratt and De Camp in their Feb. bundle! Hot Dang! Just finished ordering the bundle. This is the complete Harold Shea adventures, all five stories. I've been looking for this book in ebook format since way back when I bought the ebook from Peanut Press for my Palm Pilot and then lost access to it when Peanut Press went belly up.
They deserve an award for just having read The Faerie Queen, much less setting one of their stories in that world.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I keep my eye on anything these guys do:
https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/n...rom-all/to-all
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I ran across the first two books of the David Sullivan series by Tom Deitz as ebooks on Amazon this morning. The first, Windmaster's Bane apparently appeared back on Jun 29th while the second Fireshaper's Doom came out on Sept. 15th. Hopefully, the remaining 7 books will make an appearance. The first book was first published back in 1986 and has been out of print for a while. Very glad to see this series become available in ebook. Given that Deitz died back in 2009, I had written this series off as orphaned.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Wiil it include "The Ballad of Eskimo Nell?"
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And these backlist eBooks by Tom Deitz will be full of OCR errors because of the lazy people who scan/OCR and do not bother to check for OCR errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlist, backlisted books