Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
applecore
applecore began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Need BeBook help

When I connect my BeBook, it pops up as a removable disc. Is this normal? I'm not having any luck transferring books from Mobipocket because it says my BeBook is not connected. I have entered the PID. I feel like I'm a total idiot. I thought this was supposed to be a simple process, but so far it has been anything but! Is it something I'm doing, or is there a computer/BeBook miscommunication?
applecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think you need a beta version of Mobipocket Reader for BeBook support.
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/desktop.asp

But copying mobi books manually onto the USB drive should work as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I think you need a beta version of Mobipocket Reader for BeBook support.
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/desktop.asp

But copying mobi books manually onto the USB drive should work as well.
I can confirm this. Also, the BeBook popping up as a removable disc is the expected behaviour.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
applecore

I also posted this query on the BeBook forums, and someone mentioned that I may not be able to read ebooks checked out from the public library. Is this true? This is the main reason I bought the reader. If BeBook can't do this, what reader can? I'm feeling so discouraged.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I also posted this query on the BeBook forums, and someone mentioned that I may not be able to read ebooks checked out from the public library. Is this true? This is the main reason I bought the reader. If BeBook can't do this, what reader can? I'm feeling so discouraged.
HI Applecore
(Say no more.. Who's you friend? lol sorry hehe)

I have the EZ Reader with the January update and was not able to read a checked out book from my Library. So I stripped the DRM and it read fine after that.. I realize that is not what you are supposed to do but it allows me to read it on my reader and if I remove it at the end of my 3 weeks check out period then "no harm no foul"

I have not tried to use the bebook image so I can not tell you if it will work with the DRM but just so you know it can work if you remove the DRM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I also posted this query on the BeBook forums, and someone mentioned that I may not be able to read ebooks checked out from the public library. Is this true?
Yes. The issue is that the date needs to be correct on the device. I don't know if Jinkie intends to fix this or not.

The Cybook handles MOBI library books, as does the Kindle (via kindlefix, which does not remove DRM).

If you go the DRM-stripping route, note that Adobe PDFs are then also a possibility. You could try them as DRM-free PDFs, or convert them to MOBI using Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader/Creator.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
applecore

Ugh, as frustrating as this is, I appreciate the help and suggestions. I'm not very computer saavy- is is difficult to use Calibre or other DRM stripping methods? Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not very computer saavy- is is difficult to use Calibre or other DRM stripping methods?
Calibre does not strip DRM. Like most Open Source ebook software, it only handles DRM-free ebooks. It is very easy to use, but it is for book cataloguing and format shifting (e.g. PDF to MOBI).

DRM-stripping tools are harder to use, because any programmer who tries to make them easy to use can run foul of the DMCA in the US and similar laws. They typically need Python installed on your computer and then must be run from the command line. A couple have GUIs for Windows only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote