Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
note taking

Has anyone seen or tried the note taking feature on the 600? I want to know if I can take notes write grocery lists etc on this device. I love my 505 but if I can take notes while I am out and about and still read on it without much problem I am sold. I doubt they will be showing up in my small town anytime soon so I will probably order it on line based on MR's reviews.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
Has anyone seen or tried the note taking feature on the 600? I want to know if I can take notes write grocery lists etc on this device. I love my 505 but if I can take notes while I am out and about and still read on it without much problem I am sold. I doubt they will be showing up in my small town anytime soon so I will probably order it on line based on MR's reviews.
There is a great blank screen feature in some of the videos where you can write lists like that.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Would it be possible for someone to make up a note and then export it?

I'm curious how the data is stored --- is it just bitmap data or do they manage to capture the strokes (including order)?

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Would it be possible for someone to make up a note and then export it?

I'm curious how the data is stored --- is it just bitmap data or do they manage to capture the strokes (including order)?

William
You should read this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54625

The author talks about note taking and shows how it works. She says notes can be exported as RTF.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
and farther down states that the notes are jagged and illegible.

Thanks. Guess it won't be the Newton MessagePad replacment I've been wanting.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
In that post, I was describing notes made in books, or annotations-- whatever we should call them.

In addition, there are separate applications on the reader:
1. text memo (you can type notes using the on-screen keyboard, like notepad in Windows).
2. Handwriting (you can draw with the stylus or write with it but there's no OCR).

Both types show up under Notepad in the desktop software. You can view them, move them to the computer or a card but you can't print, edit or export them. You can highlight the text made in a text memo (since it's actual text and not an image), copy it and paste it wherever you like.

Handwritten drawings and scribbled notes are transferred in exact replica to the desktop software and are readable-- contingent upon your handwriting, that is . It's the export annotations feature that embeds an illegible screen shot into the exported RTF file.

Last edited by MobileTechReview; 08-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
In that post, I was describing notes made in books, or annotations-- whatever we should call them.

In addition, there are separate applications on the reader:
1. text memo (you can type notes using the on-screen keyboard, like notepad in Windows).
2. Handwriting (you can draw with the stylus or write with it but there's no OCR).

Both types show up under Notepad in the desktop software. You can view them, move them to the computer or a card but you can't print, edit or export them. You can highlight the text made in a text memo (since it's actual text and not an image), copy it and paste it wherever you like.

Handwritten drawings and scribbled notes are transferred in exact replica to the desktop software and are readable-- contingent upon your handwriting, that is . It's the export annotations feature that embeds an illegible screen shot into the exported RTF file.
thank you for these details ! i'm just a little confused by the 3rd paragraph. when you say you can move them to the computer, but you can't export them, what do you mean ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
You can view them in the Sony desktop program but you can't export the file out of the desktop to an image or text file like JPEG or RTF. With book annotations you can export your annotations to an RTF file. Make sense?
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
You can view them in the Sony desktop program but you can't export the file out of the desktop to an image or text file like JPEG or RTF. With book annotations you can export your annotations to an RTF file. Make sense?
ha, okay, now i understand. yes, that makes perfect sense. thanks again for the info.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Theoretically though you may be able to use OneNote's screen clip feature to copy the image over into OneNote and then OCR it.... hmmm...anyone have the capacity to test that? If it works then this might just push me over the tipping point.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote